HybridZ

photo_025.jpghi thats my 240z hub i was wodnering what wheel studs (i think they are called? the ones the wheels bolt to) should i use for modern rims? Do i need a longer length, different style? how do i remove them, ive beeat them with a sledge and tried a vise no luck so far, any ideas?

just beat them out, it shouldnt be that hard. set it on the ground, the side that your hand is on in that picture, remove the lugnuts and strike with hammer. don't know if you need longer ones or not. When putting on wheels, you want at least 4 full turns of thread for the lugnuts.

Since it appears that you have the hubs off the car you could use a hydraulic press and press them out.

I've always been able to get them out by wacking with a hammer. But, then again, I'm hell at wacking. (Harrison Ford, The Witness)

Check the archives. Studs from the Nissan Quest van fit and have the same thread size and pitch and are a little bit longer. Those are the ones I have with my billet wheels. The front fit great but the rears need longer studs. Perhaps my rear rims are thicker.

You can get longer studs but the thread pitch will change and you may need to drill the hub or get really really hell at wacking.

thanks man, do you know where i can get replacement studs (napa?) or is it a pretty standard piece that can be got at any auto parts store? Also any one have any luck on balljoint removale with out that tool or do i need to give up and get the balljoint removal tool? (i tried a dual vice railroad tie + scrap metal removal setup..... no good i was amazed... i guess not enough leverage)

When putting on wheels, you want at least 4 full turns of thread for the lugnuts.

Dang, a real danger seeker! :shock:

You really should have enough stud exposed to be able to fill the whole lug nut at least. A couple threads past the nut is even better. ;)

I used the ARP studs for the late model F bodies. They are 12 x 1.5' date=' so you have to buy new nuts, but the knurl diameter is perfect for the hubs.

John[/quote']

Thats good info.

I use the studs of the front of a 87 Mazda RX7 convertable. Same knurl and 12x1.5 pitch. Bought them at Napa.

If I were doing it again I think I would do what John did in the above post.

Ofcourse there is always the Nismo option. 50 or 60 mm and the right knurl but, little pricey.

They are a little long. I cut mine off so I had just over a full nut of thread engagement. I wound up cutting about 3/4" off the front and 3/8" off the back. The rears have to be longer because of the thickness of the drum or rear rotor.

....must reduce rotating weight......

John

Thats good info.

I use the studs of the front of a 87 Mazda RX7 convertable. Same knurl and 12x1.5 pitch. Bought them at Napa.

If I were doing it again I think I would do what John did in the above post.

Ofcourse there is always the Nismo option. 50 or 60 mm and the right knurl but' date=' little pricey.[/quote']

The ARP part number for long studs for the late F body and the 2nd gen Mazda is the same part number.

I ran 2nd gen RX7 studs from Napa in my car for years, worked great. If you have Nissan wheels and need Nissan lug nuts, fear not. Toyota 4x4 aluminum wheel nuts fit the Nissan wheels perfectly and have the 12 x 1.5 pitch.

I got some studs from NAPA for the front, I'll see if I can find the old box's and get a P/N for you. I agree about the length.. 4 threads is not enough IMO. For typical nuts/bolts/ect (espasialy for something under load/stress, like wheel studs) , you want the length of thread engagement to be 2 times the diameter of the stud/bolt. IE M12 studs; there should be about 24mm of thread. This isn't always the case, or even feasable, but I'd get as much as possible. My rear studs are a diffrent P/N (it was all they had, the knurl was bigger so I drilled out the rear hubs/drums apropriatly) and I'm wary of them as it is... I have about 8 threads engaged, and I check them EVRY time I go out in the car.

Gee, look what I found doing a simple search with the word "Quest".

I just copied and pasted it so you guys wouldn't have to actually click a link. :roll:

"Quest Van wheel stud specs

I went looking for these here a few weeks ago and found no definite answers from the search function. So here for your info are the actual measurements.

We all know that the diameter and thread pitch are the same as the Z. And the splines are the same. The trick is the length.

From shoulder to end 46mm (1 13/16").

Installed in the front hubs they extend 36.5mm (1 7/16")

No report yet on length when installed on the rear.

Napa Auto Parts part#641-2785. $1.90 each.

So now you know."

Guest ON3GO

i have quest studs on my green Z.

both front and rear.

gave me about 3/8th or more lug thread to thread onto.

i posted the part number in a old post.

search it should be there.

mike

• 1 month later...

I found this posted by one of our members in a different old thread...

The specs for the 1970-89 Z wheel studs are a 12mm-1.25mm thread, and a knurl diameter of 12.87mm. The early Z cars used a 32mm length, but your 280Z probably has the longer 36mm studs. The 280ZX's and Z31's had a 40mm long stud and the 240SX used a 42mm one. The longest ones (that I am aware of) that will fit your hubs can be found on the rear of the Nissan Quest Van. It is 47mm long.