HybridZ

Dropped the car off for the cage tonight...

...And boy am I really gonna be broke. Piper Motorsports really knows their stuff... They are doing some choice work... GOnna have NASCAR door bars, Gussets tied into the A pillar and roof, a diagonal roof bar in the hailo, the X bracing to the rear, then tieing back to the front, triangulations everywhere... Really choice quality work. :2thumbs: This guy knows his stuff, listened to my concerns, changed up a few things like footer placement away from the seat pockets (As most cages locate them) and up onto the shelf where the storage bins were, and sinking the front A pillar tubes into the rocker boxes. and bringing the rear X bars in around the cell to give more protection. The owner was also VERY impressed with that ZF Racing Suspension that that hack built... :lmao:

Should get it back by Wednesday or Thursday of next week!

Mike :cool:

Funny you should mention that Doug... I'm planning ANOTHER shindig for either late July or Early August. :2thumbs:

This cage is gonna be top shelf... Estimating between 15-25 hours and about $300 in materials at $75 per hour... A basic 6 point cage is about 8 hours. This was just gonna be a "basic" cage, until my spin off T10 last weekend at 100mph... :roll:

Now it'll have every brace, bar, and gusset he can squeeze in... Gonna be 10-12 points when all is said and done, not including the body to cage gussets! :shock:

Mike

Guest JAMIE T

Good on ya Mike! Can't wait to steal ideas from it, err... I mean see it! The later the better for your shindig, I want to bring my freakin' car! Things are actually starting to take shape down here!

I want to have a get together at my new place when it's suitable. Maybe before we move in, but after most everything is done. The plumbers are starting today!

Just say when... I can hang at your place as well as mine... :2thumbs:

Pete should have his 406 installed soon enough... and Mine will actually be painted by August if everything works out right! :lmao:

Mike

WOW, it takes your guy less then a week to do a full custom job, yet it takes my mechanic 2-3 weeks to bolt up a suspension and make a 3ft breakline..........DAMNIT I HATE ME MECHANIC-hope to see the car soon mike.

LOL my mechanic takes 3 weeks to replace a turbo and run a water line to it.

So I guess that spin really scared the crap out of you, huh? I did a similar spin once, a 180º all the way across the track and into the dirt at ~110 mph or so. Rotated VERY slowly, skid marks across the track for several hundred feet. I remember thinking "don't dig in, don't dig in, don't dig in" but I was saying "SH**********************************************T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and my passenger was just looking very pale and gripping the oh **** handle like his life depended on it. Immediately my thoughts went to building a big bad roll cage too, but I just never got around to it, and I was still driving the car pretty much daily, so it wasn't feasible at that time. Maybe someday I will follow up on that, but I'd be curious to hear how having it affects your driving psychologically, because I know I dropped it down a notch after that. :redface: If you have all that cage are you going to drive that much more balls to the wall? Be sure and let us know... :wink:

Jon, A cage was always in the works for this car. I had made the appointment before this event (Think I posted it here!) and I decided after putting a hole in the block that I needed the track car "DONE" so I wouldn't abuse the vette, which still has some resale value to it... Don't think I'd ever get $20,000 for the Z... Can't say that about the Vette! The additional bars just grew from my discussions with Jeff. BTW, this isn't the first car I've owned that had a cage and door bars... There have been three others!

Jsquared, Jeff is still there!

Mike

actually I was referring to Jedd Fahnstock... white S13 coupe, does open track and drift events. I don't know if he worked there or just knew the people there and had his cage done there... can't remember, but I want to say he worked there...