HybridZ

hks headgasket problems

ok two weeks ago I blew an Nissan head gasket so I decided that I would upgrade to the hks steel head gasket. I had the head checked and said it was fine. So I installed it dry and torque it down to 55ft-lbs with oil on my arp studs. my problem is that when I start my z up i now see water come out my tail pipe which did not happen before I blew my gasket. So is my gasket not sealing correctly or WTF? Also as I remember my surface finish on the head wasn't the greatest but I've never used a metal head gasket and thought it would be fine. So now that read all the post that I could find here on hybrid and zcar after I installed it. Yah dumb move on my part I'm thinking I screwed up my install what do you guys think should I pull the head??

tbs

Water out of the tail pipe is normal. It is the condensation of the hot water vapor in the exaust gases, liquifying on the cold exhaust pipe walls. Unless it is smoking white smoke, you should be fine.....Check leakdown and compression. Is it overheating?

I have always used copper spray on the metal head gaskets prior to install. I have never installed one dry, but that doesn't mean it cannot be done... You may end up having to pick up a can at the parts store. It is ~ $5.00 or so.

I have always installed new MHG's dry. That's whats recomended. The viton coating seals the small imperfections. 55lbs is pretty low. I've torqued stock L28 head bolts to 70 ft lbs with oil. According to ARP if using oil you will need to increase the torque comparred to using their moly lube. For my my studs (7M) it was 80 ft/lbs with moly and I think 110 or 130 ft lbs if using oil.

Kopr-Kote in a spray can is how I installed mine.

They say dry because the Viton covering will adhere to the block finish or the head finish tearing it when you pull the head for the first time...

With the Kopr-Kote, it comes right off, no little rubber delamination to make you go "oh sh*t, another $231 down the drain!" (or whatever they go for now...)

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

You really should have cleaned the deck on the block and sufaced of the head, but that is done now. I spray MLHG when they being reused new you should not. You can torque that head up to 89LB, I would go 70.

Did you pull the dip stick to see if you have coolant in the oil pan mixed with the oil? If you don't, I wouldn't worry much. Water drop-lets out of the exhaust is normal, but if you see alot of white smoke while running for a bit, or acutally smell coolant from the exhaust, then you have a problem.

Check that out first..

my .02