HybridZ

Air Conditioning Expansion Valve Supplier????

A note of caution when changing refrigerants from R-12 to 134-A.

I've read where systems that aren't THOROUGHLY flushed prior to introducing the new liquid, are prone to compressor pump seal failure due to a suspected incompatibility between the chemicals.

I'm no chemist so, I can't get into detail however, reports are common of compressors giving out after approx 1yr of the change over, in systems that wern't completly cleansed.

Victoria British p/n 54-890.

I converted my '77's system to R134 and it works really well with all stock components. I have 35* air out the vents on a 100* day.

I did flush the system thoroughly to remove all the old oil, did not replace the expansion valve.

Use 20% less R134 than R12.

An electric fan on the condensor improves performance and keeps system pressures down. R134 runs at higher pressures and many people overcharge. This, along with no condenser fan is probably the major cause of premature compressor failures down the road. On my two recent R134 conversions I've installed a high/low safety switch in the drier (the stocker only has low pressure protection) .

I've learned these lessons the hard way. As Arnold S. says, "Hear me now and believe me later".

I don't know if you are dead set on 134 but R12 is only about $4 more a can. You'll only need 3 cans. Z's don't have the best air to begin with and loosing soem efficiency won't help the vent temps.

I dont know where you buying freon but at the dealership I work at its about $35/lbs for R134a and about $80/lbs for R12. If I was going to try to fix an old system I wouldnt want R12 leaking out at $80/lbs. I would suggest making the conversion. R12 is just getting to expensive to mess with. Atleast thats my opinion!

Guy

• 2 weeks later...
I dont know where you buying freon but at the dealership I work at its about $35/lbs for R134a and about $80/lbs for R12. If I was going to try to fix an old system I wouldnt want R12 leaking out at $80/lbs. I would suggest making the conversion. R12 is just getting to expensive to mess with. Atleast thats my opinion!

Guy

Those are some really high prices. If you do some shopping around you can find it much cheaper than that. Ofcourse it helps to have connections in the parts dept.

Well those are prices for the customer, I should have stated that I guess. I had to put some freon(R134a) in my truck recently and I was charged about $22/lbs. I have no idea what cost on R12 is at our dealership?

I remember about 5 years ago my grandpa brough some R12 from Mexico back home, it was $7/lbs! I should have told him to bring back a few cases of it! I could have sold it for a huge profit now!

Guy

Guy

Well those are prices for the customer' date=' I should have stated that I guess. I had to put some freon(R134a) in my truck recently and I was charged about $22/lbs. I have no idea what cost on R12 is at our dealership?

I remember about 5 years ago my grandpa brough some R12 from Mexico back home, it was $7/lbs! I should have told him to bring back a few cases of it! I could have sold it for a huge profit now![/quote']

I thought maybe it was a regional thing. I've noticed that the price of R-12 has actually come down alittle in the last few months. Years ago I sold R-12 by the 30lb'er for something like 150.00. Like you said "talk about profit"

Cody,

1) I got a new expansion valve from Motorsport Auto about 3 years ago. YOu'll have to call them to see if they have any in stock.

2) Try the following link: www.autocool-refrigerants.com ES-12A works in R12 systems and, when I last checked, was cheaper than even R134.

I'm running an R12 "equivalent" (Freeze 12) in my car and it's working fine.

Bill