HybridZ

Porsche guys are cool :)

datsunlover

Went out cruising today, ended up pulling out on to a road right up to a red light; beside a verrrry nice Porsche 911 convertable. (late 90's I would guess) I look over and say "Nice car." The guy (who is already looking at my Z) looks at me and say "Hey, you too!" :) I told him this is alright, but it's only because I can't afford a reall porsche yet. :lol: He comes back with this; "Hey man, back when I was about your age EVERYONE wanted a 280z including me!" (I was a little blown away that he figured it was a 280, as I have a 240 bumper and no emblems anywhere.. only way to tell is the dash board really..) So the light went green, and we both took off.. not racing, but driving sports cars as they are ment to be driven. :twisted: Wound out 1st, got into second hard, but the next light was going yellow so we had to back off. (not to mention the mini van in front of him) He gave his 911 a big rev, and I followed suit. As I rolled past him, we gave eachother 'the nod' and a thumbs up. I thought this was really cool, seeing as most 350Z guys would just turn their nose up, but the guy in the 60K porsche was into my old Datsun!

Ya I have found the Poarche crew to be a pretty decent lot. A few times I have been past in a corner or past them on a straight and the reaction is usually a thumbs up or something positive. There are definitely good relations between the two marques.

I beg to differ with the 350z remark. Most of us true enthusiasts, and all of the 350/G35 guys I hang with appreciate all Z's.

Heh.. you're lucky then that that crowd is cool in your area.. all (but ONE I've encountered) the 350z owners in my neck of the woods seem to have no idea of the heritage of the z car, or even give my old car a second glance. :lol:

well my latest Z is the 73, which I got a month ago. The 350 was my 5th Z, the latest Z is my 6th. Actually, the experience most of us 350Z owners have had is that the older Z owners don't accept us as true Z owners. I know of at least 4 people who have not renewed membership in the Georgia Z club due to the attitudes of early generation Z owners. That is changing now though, as the 350 gets more established.

well my latest Z is the 73, which I got a month ago. The 350 was my 5th Z, the latest Z is my 6th. Actually, the experience most of us 350Z owners have had is that the older Z owners don't accept us as true Z owners. I know of at least 4 people who have not renewed membership in the Georgia Z club due to the attitudes of early generation Z owners. That is changing now though, as the 350 gets more established.

That’s an interesting point of view that few would consider. Thanks.

I'm really sorry to hear that you'd have people in a Z club with that attitude. I approach every single 350Z owner I know with a flyer. Unfortunately most of them are uninterested (although only a few are rude about it.) Surprisingly enough, quite a few of them are college kids and still have no interest in the Z club. I was most disappointed by a guy who is on a local sports car forum, has a 350Z that he's really into, and still doesn't want to have anything to do with us.

Anyway, I hope you don't abandon your club because of a few jackasses. Even when some of the people in our club joke about this or that year range, it is only good-natured ribbing, and (as far as I know) everyone tries to make everyone else feel welcome.

-Forrest

Guest 305240

I was at a car show about a year ago when my 81 turbo took 1st place in the foreign class. Broken headlight and all! I was kicking it with the 2 porch owners during the show. They seemed all right. When they called my car, they both loaded up and tore out of there. Poor loosers. The one who had the replicar 63 convert was pissed the most. Hell, his was a kit car for crying out loud. I seen him in another show and he pulled a first in the stock class. Go figure. I pulled another first in the 75 to 2005 foreign class.