HybridZ

NAPA....sucks!

Sparky

well crapin hell....

oldnapadude: can I help you?

sparky: I need a throttle body gasket for a 83 280ZX

oldnapadude: those cars didnt have a throttle body.

sparky: (confused look) umm, yes they di..

oldnapadude:..NO, they did not..

sparky: well, you have the intake manifold, right?

oldnapadude: right..

sparky: and then you have the throttle body that bolt on to that..

oldnapadude: those cars were multi port FI. (ok, he knows that much)

sparky: right..

oldnapadude: so they didnt have a throttle body, they had a air flow meter.

Sparky: -sigh- yes..and a throttle body, you know, the thing with the little

butterfly in it (said with extreme sarcasm)

oldnapadude: yes, the AFM.

sparky: umm, no..

oldnapadude: I WAS A NISSAN TECH FOR 12 YEARS, they dont have a

throttle body...

Sparky: And Ive been building them for 7, they AFM "METERs" the incoming

air, the throttle body controls the amount of air that goes into the

engine.

oldnapadude: No, the AFM does all that..

Sparky: fine, this is why I dont shop here, and why I never will again.

thanks for your time.

-So wth? Im not wrong, and hes partially right...should I go back in with the FSM or haynes and show him he's a moron? im very tempted.

BAH! I hate autoparts stores, but I also dislike waiting for parts to come in through the mail.....dilemma

Guest ON3GO
That's where you say:

"So I guess the little pedal on the far right isn't connected to anything is it?"

and not ALL autoparts stores are bad' date=' I work at a Kragen, but at least I'm competant ;)[/quote']

hahahhaha

sparky.. go back in there and show him he is wrong.. and be the biggest *** you can be!

mike

hahahhaha

sparky.. go back in there and show him he is wrong.. and be the biggest *** you can be!

mike

Well Mike,

I've got my FSM and chiltons out, ear marked and ready to go but I know that they wont have the part in stock, So I would have to wait and order it and personally, I will never give NAPA money as long as I can help it. Advance auto can get them in 3 days..so i will just do that.

plus, you know those kind of people are never wrong no matter what. you can show them all the documentation in the world that states they are flat out wrong and they will find some way to twist things around and try to make people feel inferior to them. its not really worth my time (but man its tempting!!!)

There's a auto parts place called "Lordco", it's a chain similar to NAPA.

me : Do you have choke assembly for Q-jet carburetors?

guy : Those cars don't have carburetors, they are all FI.

me : What do you mean? A Q-jet is a carburetor.

guy : No, all the Infinity cars now are FI.

me : What Infinity car? A Q-jet is a carburetor, you know what a Q-jet is right?

(after about one minute of talking)

guy : Ohhhhhh....you said Q-something, I thought you meant Q45 Infinity.

me : .....

The guy did provide good help though, I ended up buying a bunch of K&N air filter stuff.

BTW, Lordco and NAPA are competitors here, which explains the similar amplitude of Dontknowwhattheyaretalkingaboutness.

No offense to Mr WOT, but in my neck of the woods the Schucks (Kragen) is COMPLETELY useless. Napa is actually a large step up from Schucks, but of course the closest Napa is across town and there is a Schucks on every corner.

Sparky, your problem was with one guy, not NAPA as a whole. At least that's the way I would look at it if I were you.

At least he spoke English, I went to Autozone in need of a bolt. After saying "bolt" 4 times he directed me to the "bulbs"...I'm a born-here child of immigrants myself, but still...I ordered a chilli burger at Carl's Jr. and the lady said, "we no have chilli burritos". Both of these people were not Asians either.

Anyone ever see that movie "A Day Without a Mexican"?

Kragen is cool here by my house, I go in so much I just wave to them on my way into the parts shelves in the back.

Owen

never ever argue with idiots, bye standers have a difficult time knowing which person is which! YOU DON,T WANT TO BE THERE

all you do in cases like that is say "ok do you have an " AFM GASKET" pay for it and leave!

think about it! you drove down their to get a part he more than likely had, then you spent time argueing over what that parts called rather than getting the part! then you needed to go some ware else to get the part!

WHO WON! YOU CERTAINLY DID NOT!

and HE could care less!

IVE had similar brief coversations with know it all parts store idiots over the years many times,I try to ignore the lame B.S. get the part and leave quickly, my time is better spend working rather than making duplicate trips just because the jerk behind the counter is lame!

just last week I needed oil cover (rocker cover) gaskets for a 392 chrysler HEMI in a friends hot rod, the idiot behind the counter told me HEMIS are eithe 426 cid in old cars or 5.7 or 6.1 liter in new cars.

I GOT THE GASKET AFTER ASKING HIM TO LOOK UP THE 1957-58 CHRYSLERS d-500 ENGINE

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/hemi/chrysler-hemi.html

It's not just NAPA, it's just the attitude that they know more than you do. I called Commercial radiator last week, asked for an AC condenser for an '84 Peterbilt. "Uhhh, that's not available anymore" Clowns! Called Peterbilt, $360 delivered.

Henry Ford said something like "I'd give the cars away if I could have an exclusive on parts!"

No offense to Mr WOT' date=' but in my neck of the woods the Schucks (Kragen) is COMPLETELY useless. Napa is actually a large step up from Schucks, but of course the closest Napa is across town and there is a Schucks on every corner.

Sparky, your problem was with one guy, not NAPA as a whole. At least that's the way I would look at it if I were you.[/quote']

Yeah, I'll be first to admit, most of the other people I work with are inept. They're already sending all the 'difficult' calls like the following which took place a few hours ago...

manager: "This person wants to know how to remove their brake... brake... what's that thing that holds the pads?"

me: "Caliper?"

manager "yeah, that thing"

And that manager has been there for 5 years.. so yeah.... I feel for ya...

Reminds me of the time i was asking how many amps a jumper booster box had and the manager of the autozone told me it wasn't a battery charger. I told him i know, i just wanted to know how many cranking amps it had. He said "12 Volts", i said "i know it's 12 Volts i just needed to know how many amps." I asked him "what do you think turns the starter over the voltage?" he said "yeah" I told the him you need to learn the difference voltage and amperage.

My moto is " That's the reason why they work there and I don't." After that job at the auto parts place i'll probably see them greeting me at the Wal-Mart.

He would probably say, "Thats an AFM"....

exactly, thats why I wont bother going back, I would rather drive the extra mile and go to advance auto than to get into with the guy again.

never ever argue with idiots' date=' bye standers have a difficult time knowing which person is which! YOU DON,T WANT TO BE THERE

all you do in cases like that is say "ok do you have an " AFM GASKET" pay for it and leave!

think about it! you drove down their to get a part he more than likely had, then you spent time argueing over what that parts called rather than getting the part! then you needed to go some ware else to get the part!

WHO WON! YOU CERTAINLY DID NOT!

and HE could care less!

[/quote']

Thats why I just left..I knew I wasnt going to get anywhere with the guy and I do my best to avoid being sucked into their vacuum of idiocy. And in all honesty, Its not a competition, win-loose? I could care less...if it makes him feel like a bigger man to argue with me than fine...he didnt even bother looking TB gasket up in the computer, that tells me that he felt he had more knowledge than I and wanted to show it...and the chances of them having my gasket in stock are slim to none, especially since I checked three other places before arriving at NAPA and none of them had it.

Sparky' date=' your problem was with one guy, not NAPA as a whole. At least that's the way I would look at it if I were you.[/quote']

well, this isnt the first time this has happened at NAPA, honestly I rarely go in there and if I do I take a long drive and go to the main store/distribution center. I was just driving by and wanted to check on a part.

all in all its no big deal, I was amused by the fact that someone claiming to be a Nissan tech for 12 years has no idea what hes talking about. just think he might have kids, ricer kids that are full of misinformation from their father. I guess NAPA is like the Zcar.com of parts stores...chock full of know-nothing know-it-alls

I've actually gotten into this argument before. The guy I was wasting my time with heard throttle body and immediately thought of his GM car with throttle body injection.

I've had good luck lately with Napa, but where it's just luck of the draw with what kind of person is behind the counter.

Many years ago when I got my first Z, it didn't have an exhaust when I bought it and I wanted to have a larger custom bent on put on, called a local shop...

mufflerguy: I can get you a nice "cat-back" system.

me: It didn't come with a cat

mufflerguy: What year is it?

me: '77

mufflerguy: It came with one.

me: The DMV and the dealer both said it didn't come with one

mufflerguy: They're dead wrong.

me: ok, bye