HybridZ

LS-7 Price announced

...Amazing. My LS1 motor has cost me less than $6000 and will be about 500-510 Flywheel HP. You could build a well fortefied LS1/6 bottom with a set of the new AFR heads and cam and be well over that for less than $9000.

Mike

Ebay will have used one's in a year or so. My LS1 cost me 4000 + 1275 for heads + 400 for headers + 120 for the TB + 75 for a damaged LS6 intake + 700 for the cam, timing gear, and oil pump + 200 for injectors + 700 for LS1 edit.

Hey, this is expensive! Imagine what the LS7 parts are gonna be like.

HOLY SH*T!! You could easily have $15K in it by the time you turn the key! You have to be a real V8 fanatic to spend that kind of money for a street engine.

I know most folks don't want to hear it but just got back from dynoing my buddy's GN-powered FD RX7. the engine is configured similar to what I am building. 540.5RWHP and 623lb/ft torque. Ironically the RX7 diff still has the original 4.10s and the converter was not locked. Figure the converter slip probably cost 25-30hp so it is probably right at 700hp at the crank. Car will be at SEZ.

Props to 240Z Turbo for building that awesome FMIC for this car.

Scottie, forgive me for my ignorance but how hard is it to get a GN engine? Is that a junkyard item or do you really have to dig for it. They sound like great engines from what I've heard from you and others but I've never seen one for sale and wouldn't have even thought twice about it except for your 1/4 mile time and picture.

I'll bet money there are more than a few members on this site with over $15K in their engines. That damn thing has titanium connecting rods. I will also bet if you took an LS1 or 2 and tried to build it up to anywhere near that number of cubes you would have over $15K in the package. Sure, you could get that type of peak HP out of an NA LS1, but can't imagine you would have anywhere near the torque band.

What do some of their crate big blocks go for? Aren't some of them around $10K?

Not saying this is a bargain deal, but if you look at everything in it the price is not that outrageous.

I saw on another site the LS7 is a dry sump engine, although it doesn't say in the ad and you can't tell by the pic. If so, the dry sump setup is probably 2-2.5K easily. Anybody else seen this mentioned?

John

It is defenitely a dry sump, but I'm not sure about the crate version or if the drysump is included in the price. What's a drysump system going for these days anyway, for a conventional SBC that is?

POP, If you go over to LS1Tech.com, there are venders over there now selling stroker shortblock kits at pretty affordable prices. I recently had someone contact me after reading about me Holing my block and that specific vendor told me he could put me together a 408 shortblock for $2100 shipped, and that was with pretty stoute forged Ibeam rods and Probe pistons. The prices on these LS based Chevy powerplants is dropping bigtime.

Mike

Guest 73LT1Z

I read the LS7 write up in Chevy High Performance (August 05 I think) & was surprised to read it has cast pistons on those Titanium rods & forged crank. The photo on the link shows all accessories (AC,alt,PS), which is odd for a crate motor.

I'm not much in the know about the Gen 3 V8, but I've seen some powerhouse 400+ CID motors offered by SLP for less than that.

SLP Gen 3 short blocks $3600-4000

LS6 head & cam package $2600

Throw in another $3-4K for the FI & accessories (or recycle yours as applicable :) ) & you are still ahead.

Of course, you still have to build it...

Did not mean to infer it was not worth the price and that is why I said "for a street engine". Like the 911 engine with titanium parts and dry-sump, total overkill for a street engine. As for the cast pistons, I will avoid that debate again. FYI, my buddy's engine, like mine, have SpeedPro hypers. My old shortblock had the same pistons and went 5+yrs and 500 passes before blowing a head gasket at the last SEZ. Technology and materials have come a long way but it seems like the old "cast" stigma will never go away.

I agree with most that a LS1 with some mods is a more cost-effective solution. OTOH, maybe I am just a skin-flint :D

280zwitha383, I do not want to hijack this post with Buick talk. If you are interested in Buick turbo engines, hang out at http://www.turbobuicks.com. GN engines are always available you just need to watching for them and have cash in hand. OTOH, my new shortblock like my buddies are 4.1L from the old GM mid-80s big sedans. Same physical block and they have the same crank as the turbo engine. Stock rods, ARP head studs and rod bolts, cam upgrade and a girdle to hold it together + ported heads and intake. My s-block will cost me about $2400, including all the machine work and parts.

Actually, I expected it to come in at around $15-17k I'm surprised it's that low. Those engines are a lot different than the LS1/6. Many changes and upgrades. For a GM crate (really a racing engine) built by hand in a special facility like they are, with a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty, I think you may want to reconsider just how inexpensive that engine is.

What are the advantages of even an LS1 over a compareably built up 1G SBC 350?

Unless you just happen to have an LS1 laying around, you'd still spend more just buying a stock LS1 than you would a pre-built 400+hp SBC...that is, unless you happen to find a crackhead deal on an LS1.

There are always those people, though, that will buy the LS7 just to say "Yeah, I have an LS7"

Guest 73LT1Z
...maybe I am just a skin-flint :D

When you have as many "mouths" (tanks/etc.) to feed as I do' date=' that is the end result!

I'd agree it is a good value for what you are getting, but with the above mindset, I'm always looking to make [b']more power[/b] on the cheap!

having crewed for two SCCA cars and being at the events ive never even seen a stock ls1 or ls6 blow on any of the race cars in any class... so they are fairly stout as is, i talked to a few of the race teams and they would sell a long block ls6 with one season on it for 1200 dollars, which was really tempting to me, so if anyones looking for an ls6 to rebuild, thats a good source!

Well after windowing my LS1, and doing a bunch of research and finding out what Lou Gigliatti and Dave Farmer (And others) are doing to make them live, I'd not install another LS1/6 in ANY car I plan to drive hard without solving the oiling issues inherrant to the design. GM advices to add an extra quart for track days, then shrugs their shoulders when you complain you have oil coming out the throttle body. :roll:

Joe Gaudette, a regular I've been running track days with, was seeing oil pressure drops to under 30PSI at 5800 RPMS going around Oaktree Turn at Vir, a moderately low speed 180 degree turn just after where I spun in the video I posted. :shock: That is some serious oil starvation there! :lmao:

Canton Accusump and electric valve, along with an oil cooler will go into my Vette with the new motor in a few weeks. :2thumbs:

Mike

So maybe the oil-starvation problem that Mikelly identified would explain why the LS7 went dry-sump?

If you’re a seasoned engine builder and an experienced wheeler-and-dealer, then doubtless you can build a stouter, more reliable and cheaper engine than the crate LS-7. If you’re not experienced with engines and are not good at finding deals, but you still have the ambition and desire for a niche engine, then the LS-7 starts making good financial sense.

However, if I chose to spend that kind of money I would go all-aftermarket, with an aluminum Mark IV big block, a 4.5†billet crank, billet rods and one of several possible choices of heads (most likely AFR, since such an engine would be fine with rectangle-ports).

Well here's another question, since there is sooooo much oooohing and Ahhhhing over those ti connecting rods and that hand built motor. WHY have they decided to USE CAST PISTONS? According to my vette magazines and Chevy HiPo, they are STILL using a cast piston on the end of that little titanium rod. That makes ZERO sense.

If I'm paying $12595 for a motor, I've expect to have a forged bottom end... the dry sump is a VERY NICE touch, so atleast chevy is finally doing something about the Hi G-force oil starvation issue. But I'm still dubious.

Mike