8....Nissan Skyline

7....Aston Martin

6.....Mercedes Gullwing

5.....Ferrari Enzo

4.....Jaguar E-type

3......McLaren F1

2......Mazda Miata

1......Porsche 911

disappointed the 240Z did not make it...but at least the Skyline and Miata was there.

Yasin

Guest Battle Pope

Yeah. The 240Z was far more revolutionary from a "bring it to the masses" standpoint than anything on that list aside from the Miata. It did deserve a place, IMO.

You gotta wonder though how all those manufacturers (ferrari especially!) feel being wopped by the Miata.

Guest Benito

I agree with the 911. I have always always wanted one of those. Since I was bout 10 years old, it's been my all-time favorite car...

Hate miata's... Don't agree with a lot of that list, porsche's are nice, but they're getting really, really over priced and over rated. Nice car's when you don't have to replace parts and work on them. Now the Countach, that car is sex on wheels... The interior wraps around you and doesn't let go.

There are two kinds of ppl I know that don't like the miata:

1. People that have never driven one b/c they believe, passionately, that the Miata is a "girl's car". Usually, but not exclusively, extreme homo phobes that will not be caught dead standing in close quarters to one.

2. People who are claustrophobic and can't stand the cramped interior.

As for whether or not it's a "sports car," I think anyone who's driven one will agree.

Edit: I don't, however, agree that it should be that high on the list. But then again, they didn't say "Super Car", and there's a whole lot of ways to determine the "Best" sports car.

Another top 10 list for you

http://cars.about.com/od/helpforcarbuyers/tp/top_cars_women.htm

...the Miata offers just enough room for a romantic weekend getaway for two...

Damn. Meets my criteria of a sports car.

You're right, Pop hasn't ever driven one. Pop also doesn't personally know any men who actually own one. I know a lot of women owners, but the only men I see who own them also smoke pipes and wear sports jackets with patches on the elbows. Not a judgment. Just an observation.

As far as it being a chick's car, Pop also read Mazda's own marketing information when the car first came out. Unlike GM, Mazda read and understood the Fiero marketing results which showed a large number of women were attracted to the car. I have read commentaries that claimed the Fiero died because GM never offered power steering for it. Something that appealed heavily to it's large female clientele. The Miata came out around that time and capitalized on the Fiero info.

The original ones were pretty anemic in the performance sense. They never did well in any of the auto crosses I attended. Many people made very sarcastic comments concerning their lack of power. Maybe they now offer a more potent version, admittedly I don't know. But IMO Mazda geared the original cars toward women and still enjoy a large female following. Anyone know what percentage of new Miata owners are women? Bet it is higher than the Corvette's.

But given the replies here guess some apologies are in order. Didn't mean to hit any nerves. Except for the homophobe guy.

Oh, and by the way, women are generally smaller than men. Another indication the car was geared toward that market segment. Or does that make me a homophobe too?

There are two kinds of ppl I know that don't like the miata:

1. People that have never driven one b/c they believe' date=' passionately, that the Miata is a "girl's car". Usually, but not exclusively, extreme homo phobes that will not be caught dead standing in close quarters to one.

2. People who are claustrophobic and can't stand the cramped interior.

As for whether or not it's a "sports car," I think anyone who's driven one will agree.

Edit: I don't, however, agree that it should be that high on the list. But then again, they didn't say "Super Car", and there's a whole lot of ways to determine the "Best" sports car.[/quote']

I would like it if it looked a bit more agressive had a maxspeed over 110... I had the oportunity to drive a 93 RX-7 and a 97 MX-5 in the same day, and I beleive the RX-7 deserves a slot on that list, maybe 9 or so, instead of the little brother at 2

Well my friend and dad also thought it was girlie car then... I let them drive it. They don't talk anymore. Mine has an intake, exhaust, and header runs a 15.2@88mph. Top speed 137. But it really shines in suspension and brakes. It will out handle and stop most other sports cars. At solo II events a stock miata and stock c5 will turn about the same times depending on the course, even though lot less powerful. But then again i'm thinking about selling mine because its not fast enough. Damn 12 sec z.:twisted:

I want a Miata now too. I saw one at a car show about 2 weeks ago, and aside from nice rims and a really cool chrome roll hoop behind the seats, I thought.. meh.. whatever. Then I looked under the hood; JacksonRacing S/C all tucked away in there! I asked the guy what he thought of it, and he said 'well.. it's a 2200 pound car, and the 16 valve loved to rev to begin with.. and with the charger she's about 180 horse now.. :) "

Cool.

BUT: I also think the RX7 deserves a spot on that list.. right under the 240z. :)

John:

How does the driving experience of the miata differ from the Z?

Actually, a stock powered Z with some suspension work feels a lot like a stock Miata. The differences are:

Miata has better turn in.

Z has better low and mid range torque.

Miata has nicer steering.

Z has better throttle control (lift throttle does more in a Z).

Miata has better shifter and shift feel.

Z has more top end acceleration (80 to 100).

Miata has better gearing (2-3 shift).

WOW!! John has 2 sets!! That explains alot!!!

Call me Quad Ball! My older brother just had a testicle removed (cancer but easily fixed) and I now call him the "Uni Baller."

Originally Posted by datsunlover

and with the charger she's about 180 horse now.. :) "

Don't believe everything you hear!

Actually the 94+ models can get up to 210hp at the wheels with stock internals. This is with a off the shelf supercharger kit. The turbo kits can see 230hp. This is the limit of the stock internals though. So 180hp is believe able if he has the boost upgrade kit from jackson. If its just the reg kit then it should have around 160wrhp or 180 crank hp.