HybridZ

Suspension techniques 240Z Sway Bars cost $429.00 at Victoria Brit!

I think you guys are confusing the two different rear anti-roll bar mounting styles that ST sells. For 70 through 73 they sell a rear bar that mounts to the transverse link mount braces and for 74 and later car they sell a rear bar that mounts to the factory mounts on the chassis in front of the diff.

The rear mounting style has better angles and is more effective. It can also be used on the 74 and later cars.

no, i'm aware of the different styles of bars that suspension techniques sells and what those differences are. i have heard of others claiming that the 280 kit's rear bar would fit on a '73 240, and upon visual inspection and noting that the mounts were there for the rear bar to go in front of the control arms, i thought that it would fit as others have said.

i originally put an aftermarket bar (i believe it's an addco bar) on my '73 that mounted behind the diff. since updating my stock u-jointed half-shafts to the z31 cv's, i can't use that bar due to interference between the end links and the cv's. it appeared that a front-mounted bar wouldn't interfere with the cv's. i was planning to put the bar i took off my '73 on my '78 and then putting the new 280 bar on my 240. no dice.

i've heard from numerous people that the 280 kit rear bar will fit on a '73. i'm just trying to point out that it's not a direct bolt on in my case. i'll probably relocate the mounts, moving them to be in the same location as they are on a 280, to get the 280 bar to fit on my car.

i originally put an aftermarket bar (i believe it's an addco bar) on my '73 that mounted behind the diff. since updating my stock u-jointed half-shafts to the z31 cv's, i can't use that bar due to interference between the end links and the cv's. it appeared that a front-mounted bar wouldn't interfere with the cv's. i was planning to put the bar i took off my '73 on my '78 and then putting the new 280 bar on my 240. no dice.
Others have shortened the end links. Have you given any thought to just shortening them?

I have a rear bar from a 260Z in my '73 240Z. It bolted in perfectly, using the pre-existing frame mounts. I originally bought a 280Z bar, but the arms are too long. I would have had to cut off the mounts and weld them back on further forward on the car.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

With CV Axles, I don't believe a front mount bar will work. Check with others, but I thought the reason to go with a rear mount bar was directly caused by CV conversions, and WHY I had to make rear control arms with two different mount locations for the end link.

Mike

The sway bar mount holes are in front of the halfshafts, so if you have a rear mount then there is a clearance issue, and with a front mounted bar there is not. At least that's the way it looks from Terry's pictures: http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/detailfs?userid={7DC317B0-8EDB-4B2E-A837-F708D07C9769}&ndx=36&slideshow=0&AlbumId={17E71651-3EF8-4704-9954-22956DF10FCB}&GroupId={3B8751D4-D564-4405-8017-F14E1CDA9AF0}&screenheight=768

So what was the issue with shortening the halfshafts Nullbound? Why wouldn't that work for your car?

sorry for the late reply. i've had jury duty all week and into next week.

i mounted my bar to the rear suspension, but only slid one endlink bolt through the bottom bushing and through the bar. even with shortening the endlinks, it appeared there was potential for interference. i would prefer to install a bar that is mounted in the front and not have to worry about it. a friend of mine recently did the same conversion on his '71 and didn't reinstall his rear-mounted bar for the same reason. if i get a chance, i will attempt to remount it in the next week or so.

i took a pic of the same friend's early '74 260Z over the weekend:

early_260_stock_bar.jpg

as opposed to the other pics i took, this pic was taken while kneeling down next to the driver's side rear tire. the uprights on the early 260Z were in the same location and orientation as on my '73 240. so Nigel, it makes sense that a 260 bar would work fine on a 240, given that the bar is shaped such that it curves around the front control arm bushing bolts of the rear suspension assemblies. the only problem is that this is a rare bar and my friend won't let his go.

so... um... anyone got... a spare 260 bar that looks like the one above?

Guest 73Turbo240z

just thought i'd chime in, if the 73' was the only factory S30 of the 240's to come with a rear sway... where is mine then?

i've got a ST rear sway bar kit that i'm preparing to install once if figure out how to get all the rear suspension apart, but there isn't a sway bar back there... i'll take photos today.

There's a pretty serious clearance issue with the ST rear mounted rear anti-roll bar and a 280ZXT CV shaft install. I spent some time today trying to figure out how to make it work without binding and interference, but I don't think it can be done using the stock anti-roll bar mount on the LCA.

But, I think I've figured out a way to make it work by making a new mount on the LCA and modifying the anti-roll bar ends. Might even be able to do it without removing the LCAs from the car. Stay tuned...