HybridZ

How fast can you go...how fast can you go..

Mike, the guys who run for the class records are serious about the rules for the different classes, like engine and aero mods. They have stringent tech and there are no mulligans. For the fun run, which is for a time slip and nothing else, the only tech is for safety equip. I'm gonna give it a try for the heck of it, I'll post up the results. With the spook style front spoiler, my car got real light around 140. With the MSA airdam, it seems stable to about 150, which is as fast as I've been. Should be a neat thing to try.

John

So five grand in 4th gear is only 100mph? what do you have a 23.5 inch tire that is what it would come to and i have 3.36 gears and i am at 103mph at 5000 rpm in 3rd with my 700r4 give or take 50 rpm as for punctuation well mostly girls worry about that or total dorks that type all day long i work on cars not keyboards

Stock Z tire diameter is 24".

Guest tony78_280z

When I first joined this board I didn't like these threads... Now, I can't get enough of them. Very informative on one side, and troll bashing on the other. I go Hmmm in one post, and Ha ha in another. Post on guys.

Clifton gets the nod. GPS for tracking is about the best way to do it now days if you're going solo... Clifton, How about a run down on your car to remind us of the setup, suspension and aerodynamics-wise...

Mike

I never had the cojones to find out the top speed of my Z but I can tell you it was accelerating hard at 135mph going through the 1/4 traps. With DRs, it was stable at that speed and while I would not claim any aero tricks, I attributed it to the slight rake, front dam and rear spoiler (way too much down force for drag racing) and the headlight covers. Headlight covers! Yeah I hear the snickers but I would not run a Z at major speed w/o them. The car started to get light approaching 150 (just upshifted to OD) on my harumph, harumph, "test track" and after that....... this wimp did not care to find out.

I've actually heard that one of the single most advantageous aero-type mods you can do to a 1G Z is headlight covers.

Headlight covers WILL go on my Z, I'm still debating on if I should get tinted covers or just get some clear ones and paint them solid black from the inside.

The reason for the debate is that I'm getting one of 280Zone's fiberglass hoods next week, but, am painting it black (my car is red). So, I'm trying to picture in my mind what my red Z (with MSA aero kit) will look like with the sportier looking hood painted black and black headlight covers.

The biggest problem I've had with high speeds is while I am getting there (it does get there really fast) The torque picks the front end up and makes it really light. I haven't had the room to just do it slowly as yet. I had it up to 130.