HybridZ

2008 Chevrolet Camaro

auxilary

concept. the images are user chop, not authentic

08-CAMARO-ATOMICSHARK.jpg

scamaroconceptfrontcrop3lk.jpg

DETROIT — Chevrolet plans to take the wraps off a concept Camaro at the 2006 Detroit auto show in January.

Also, Inside Line has learned the automaker is evaluating proposals to revive the classic performance-car nameplate in 2009-2010 on a new low-cost rear-wheel-drive platform.

Among the scenarios under discussion inside General Motors is the development of a lower-cost version of the Sigma rear-drive platform that underpins the Cadillac CTS and STS sedans. Another proposal would take the new rear-drive platform that's being developed in Australia for the next-generation Holden Commodore sedan and spin off a low-cost variant for North America.

GM planners are said to have targeted several body styles for the Chevy and Pontiac brands on a new rear-drive platform, including a sport sedan, a sporty coupe and a convertible. The Camaro and GTO badges could be used on those vehicles, according to company sources.

Across town, Chrysler is said to be preparing a concept Dodge Challenger for the '06 Detroit show, to test the market for a proposed two-door performance car it wants to introduce around 2008-2009 as a potential competitor to the Ford Mustang.

What this means to you: Guess it was just a matter of time and environmental awareness — the original definition of muscle cars doesn't fit well with new perceptions of what's best for the world...could there be a "green" muscle car in our future?

Don't usually like to comment on the 'looks' of a car after a first look, but the front is terrible. The rear is good, but the front looks too bulbous.....looks like there is something missing.....like they designed the car, then said...."Oh crap, we forgot to put headlights in it!!" :twak::icon52:

Guest Battle Pope

That's not a camaro.. it looks way too much like the C6. What an abortion. Ugh.

They should just pull a Ford and go back to Camaro's roots. Ford's raking it in off the Mustang, and I'm sure Camaro fanboys are disappointed that GM isn't releasing a retro styled Camaro.

That's not a camaro.. it looks way too much like the C6. What an abortion. Ugh.

They should just pull a Ford and go back to Camaro's roots. Ford's raking it in off the Mustang' date=' and I'm sure Camaro fanboys are disappointed that GM isn't releasing a retro styled Camaro.[/quote']

I'm seeing 70's camaro in the headlights, which is the part that Tim poo-pooed. It would be nice if new cars could actually be new. There's something to be said for aerodynamics.

Talk about the new Camaro is common lately, and there has been a lot of speculation about if and when it would happen, where it would be built, and what platform it would be based on. Here's a nicer looking version (at least I think it is):

112_0109_futcamaro3_lead.jpg

There was a couple of others in my latest Road & Track that I can't find on the Internet yet.

Guest Battle Pope
Talk about the new Camaro is common lately' date=' and there has been a lot of speculation about if and when it would happen, where it would be built, and what platform it would be based on. Here's a nicer looking version (at least I think it is):

[img']http://motortrend.com/future/spied/112_0109_futcamaro3_lead.jpg[/img]

There was a couple of others in my latest Road & Track that I can't find on the Internet yet.

That version is better, but I like the retro styled orange one with the black stripes that popped up a couple years ago.

uug! And as it was 40 years ago, they will introduce it 2 years after the Mustang. Now, If they could do the same thing Ford has done for the new Mustang, I'd have to take a good look, but this looks like a Taurus greenhouse that fell onto a Panoz.

I like it. The back is a bit too Vett like though, but otherwise, it's quite unique with just a hint of Camero in the grill to remind you of what it is. The problem with a "retro" look is that before too long, everyone looses interest and then where do you go stylistically?

Nigel

'73 240ZT

I really like the looks of that. I think it would even sell as a kit car but I have no idea what chassis could be used as a base. Maybe do it the way Factory-Five does the Cobra kits and use an F-Body for donor parts and build the rest around a tube frame of some type.

Anyway as Tim says it's a bitchin car. Especially the Z28 and SS styles.

Edit: I have to say that I've never been a big fan of the Camaro, more of a Ford guy. As a kid (in the 70s and 80s) they were like as$holes and bellybuttons, everyone had at least 1 and they always seemed to stink. Over the years they haven't gotten a whole lot better. I did like the 67-69 models and this design really reminds me of those, so when I say I like it that means something in my book.

Wheelman

can't call it a camaro anyway ...

gm had contract with small canadian town that all camaros until i think it was 2020 will be built at that factory ...

gm wanted to close that plant ... penalties for closing plant and moving production to mexico or china were too high ... too many legal problems ... too costly to modernize the canadian plant again ... so rather than rebuild the plant, after taking millions of dollars in canadian tax payer's money in the form or breaks and the canadians paying for some plant upgrades ( to keep the towns people and other canadians employed ), gm pulled the plug on the camaro. using the reasoning that there was no longer enough market for the camaro ...

if gm builds the camaro before that contract runs out, they may be subject to millions of dollars in fines for breech of contract with the canadians.

the cobalt will take the place of the camaro for a while ... guess they are hoping that square shaped station wagon mini surburban will make people forget the camaro ...

gm announce that they have killed any plans for the rear drive platform with no anticipated date of resurrection.

articles in the wall street journal as well as car and driver magazine incase anyone wishes to check on the canadian factory and contract as well as the rear wheel drive being dead for now.

i prefer the orange z/28 that looks like a modern version of the 69 camaro as opposed to the 2000 camaro's modern version of the 1980's mazda rx7 ...

funny how since the mid 70's gm is almost always 12 years behind the design curve with everything except maybe the vette. be nice to see a fresh design from them on their bread butter cars and trucks ...

that said, most of the cars i have owned ( over 40 ) since 1973 have been either nissan or GM products, mostly chevy muscle cars ...

And a bad photoshop of the Alfa at that too - just look at the wheels now that is just wrong - you think if this was a real GM Proto-type or concept they would have spent a bit more time on getting it to look right.