HybridZ

Home At Last! Project Silver Bullet LS1 240Z Update

I just picked up the Silver Bullet from the shop. I get to drive it for the weekend and see what kind of bugs pop up. Man o man is it

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETT!!!

The power is amazing. What a blast to drive. I can't believe how strong the LS1 is in a Z car.

The drivablilty is excellent. In all gears there is power. I can start off at a light in 3rd and it still pulls without bogging.

I can cruiise in 6th around town at approx. 40MPH and it doesn't bog.

I still can't get used to not having to pump the gas pedal before starting it.

It feels as solid and well balanced as it did with the L28 except for the abbility to throttle steer it in corners. Woo Hoo!

There are still a few things that may or may not be done in time for the Z Convention.

1. Tach. I sent it back to Johns cars to be re-calibrated. He got it today and says he will have it ready to ship on Monday. I hope so. If not, the guy (Tony) at the hot rod shop has an Autometer Tach (5") that he will loan me for the trip.

2. The speedo box I got that converts the signal from electrical to mechanical is defective and had been sent back to Abbott Industries to be repaired. They promised to have it back by next Friday.

3. The condenser for the A/C from vintage Air was the wrong size so it was sent back and the new one is shipping out today. I should have it by Wednesday.

All these are pushing it to the limit for my departure.

I would hate to go on a 700 mile road trip without(in order of importance):

1. Speedometer

2. A/C

3. Tach

The only probelm I have found so far is the transmission. I think I got ripped off on this one. It has a hard time going into 3rd and reverse and it whines in 3rd and 6th. It will be fine for the trip but I will need to address the problem when I get back.

But for now, I am so high I can't stand it. I can barely concentrate on Work. I can't wait to finish for the day, wash my baby and go for a cruise.

LS1 Baby! There is no substitute!

David - Change your signature. It's there now, not on its way!

I can really identify with your feelings and they are absolutely great! I'm so glad you've got it on the road. Knowing the equipment you'll just be happier and happier with the LS1. Not too surprised about the T56. I had to have the synchros replaced in 5th & 6th on mine and I still notch a downshift into 5th occaisionally.

I was thinking about the tach problem & gave myself a giggle with the thought of just letting the 6 cylinder tach take the V8 signal. Then you could have an 8,000 RPM redline!:twisted:

David - Change your signature. It's there now' date=' not on its way!

I can really identify with your feelings and they are absolutely great! I'm so glad you've got it on the road. Knowing the equipment you'll just be happier and happier with the LS1. Not too surprised about the T56. I had to have the synchros replaced in 5th & 6th on mine and I still notch a downshift into 5th occaisionally.

I was thinking about the tach problem & gave myself a giggle with the thought of just letting the 6 cylinder tach take the V8 signal. Then you could have an 8,000 RPM redline!:twisted:[/quote']

Signature Changed. In my excitement, I didn't even think of it. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm not to worried about the trans. I will deal with it this winter unless it causes major problems before then.

My cable internet provider is down and I am on a dial up connection. Sucks.

I will take a buch of pictures and get them posted this weekend or as soon as the cable service is back up.

Meanwhile I will be out cruising in the Z!

I'll never forget my first drive and the last and looking forward to the next!!!

Kick in the pants to say the least. Question??? Are you sure you were doing around 40 in 6th and not bogging? At around 70 in 6th I'm tacking under 2k w/ 354 gears. Sooooo 6th at 40 i'm bogging. Maybe you were going quicker than you think. The car does fly! or.... Whats your gear ratio? Speedometer..... I had the same problem, My tac wouldn't go above 2,000 r.p.m.'s. I adjusted the screw as per JTR book and it's close now.

DAVID... "ENJOY THE RIDE" :hail::cheers:

JOEY

I'll never forget my first drive and the last and looking forward to the next!!!

Kick in the pants to say the least. Question??? Are you sure you were doing around 40 in 6th and not bogging? At around 70 in 6th I'm tacking under 2k w/ 354 gears. Sooooo 6th at 40 i'm bogging. Maybe you were going quicker than you think. The car does fly! or.... Whats your gear ratio? Speedometer..... I had the same problem' date=' My tac wouldn't go above 2,000 r.p.m.'s. I adjusted the screw as per JTR book and it's close now.

DAVID... "ENJOY THE RIDE" :hail::cheers:

JOEY[/quote']

The ride keeps getting better and better. I love it more each time. The power delivery is so smooth. The car is so easy to drive mellow and is blindingly fast when you get on it.

Joey, I have a 3.54:1 Nismo LSD rear and a 2001 T56. The gears should be the same. I am sure I wasn't doing more then 45 as the speed limit is 35 and traffic was heavy. My motor is stock and the TB is stock too. Maybe a larger TB causes it to bog but mine is fine.

Speedo- Abbott Industries spent 1 1/2 hours on the phone with the shop and they finally decided that the unit must be defective.

John had calibrated the tach but it was reading about half of the rpms it should have been. The potentiometer on the back didn't help much. I sent John the 240 and a 280 tach and asked him to calibrate both just in case.

I was out in the car early this morning and I came up on a 2005 C6 Corvette. He couldn't pull away from me. He pulled over in a starbucks parking lot and I pulled in behind him. He jumps out and says "Man does that thing Scoot. Whatchu got in there?"

He told me he thinks I could take him. He was very impressed when I opened the hood. He thought it was "Such a Cool Car!"

Got 3 other thumbs ups this morning and I was only out for about an hour.

Nice to have my Z back on the road.

I've taken C5, z06's at the track. You NOW can take a C6 at 1/3 of the cost!!! As for attention! Weather I'm at the track or at a carshow there is always a crowd around my car. I thought of doing a post of first comments people make. The one that comes to mind the most is HOLY SH*T. Soo David, get used to it!!! :twisted:

JOEY

P.S. I see your "enjoying the ride" :shock:

Ok Guys,

The car is back home again. I got it back tonight. We were hoping to have the 3 final things fixed before I have to leave for to the Z convention but as usual, Shi#$@!t happens!

The speedo, tach and A?C were on the list of 3 and as the saying goes, 2 outa 3 ain't bad.

I have working A/C and a working Tach. The A/C is cold but i need to upgrade the fan motor to blow more air. I will get to the JY tomorrow and pick up a Honda blower motor.

As for the speedo;

After hours of messing with the cable x box we finally figured out that Speartech flashed my computer for an Automatic trans and I later decided to change to the T56. Duh! Of course it isn't working. The VSS signal is totally wrong. We hooked it up to the diagnostic reader and it showed that the VSS signal was reading like 17 mph when the car was in 6th gear at like 2000 rpms. (we had the car on the lift)

So for now I will use a dash mounted GPS to tell me how fast I am traveling and when I get back, I will have the computer reflashed for the T56 along with some other performance enhancements.

Now I need to spend the weekend cleaning her up and doing all the little stuff to get ready.

See you at the Z Convention!

Dave,

Thanks for the ride. That was a scary ride.

The tranny I bought from you is basically the same as the one I have from the Vette. Look like I can just swap over the bell housing and the tail housing and I can use the Vette Tranny. I will keep yours for spare. Thank you again.

V.