HybridZ

Q45 Vlsd!

ULISES

The Q45 R200 VLSD unit does fit in a long nose R200, I've done it. You will need to use the matched set of gears from the long nose because the 3.54's between the long and short diffs have different gear counts. Just swap the ring gear from the open diff to the VLSD and drop it in. You will still need to make custom axles because you still need to use the 6 bolt inner axles. Anyone have a lead on 88 300zx SS CV axles??

Joe

How come I'm always the last to know!? You are all gonna have to excuse me now while I go down and start tearing down some diffs in the garage.This info could have some serious money saving involved so I'll take a few pics as I go.I sure hope your right Rags! I could have a posi by Reynolds now.

Terry,

I haven't gotten any of the adapters or axles yet so I don't know about the length. I've only done the swap in the rear so far. I have one set of Q45 CV axles, need to find another set and get some adapters from Ross. What I really want to do is find SS Z31 CV axles. Then I will only need Ross's adapters and I'm done! Does anyone know if the spline count is the same on a SS axle and a non SS turbo axle?

Joe

Rags, I had a SS diff in the past and couldnt find any axles for them. They are elusive bast...irds. I ditch the SS and now have the Q45. I guess Ill put that in the R200 long nose and just upgrade the stubs to Ross's and get the adapters for the 6 bolt flanges too, with the moser axle upgrade. that will save alot of time on the front mount etc....do you have any pics of the Q45 R200 swap?

Terry

I'm gonna have to call BS on Rags here.Pulled the carriers from both diffs.The ring gear bolts on the q45 diff are easily twice the size of the r200 open diff ring gear bolts.I have pics to back me up,but I dont know how to upload them to the site.BTW,the ring gear count is 46:13 or 3.53:1 as far as the q45 diff is concerned.Anyone wants pics I can email them to you.Got all excited for nothing.Rats.

This is for SURE a r200vlsd from a q45,I saw it removed myself.The rear diff cover has 2 bolts on top,not 3.And I have the Nissan parts breakdown for both the r230 and the r200v.Internally they are VERY similar but there is NO QUESTION here,these are both r200's.The picture is a little deceiving,but the housings are almost exactly the same size,except for pinion length,and the ring gears are the same size,except for the size of the ring gear bolts and holes.I'll be happy to photograph both ring gears against a tape measure if necessary for maximum peace of mind here,but the lsd is ABSOLUTELY a 200mm.

Okay, looks like I'll have to take some pictures. There is no question that the Q45 uses the larger ring gear bolts that all later R200's use. It has been discussed many times that an early small bolt ring gear can be used on large bolt carrier. Some use bolt spacers and some do not. I chose to use them. Sorry for the late response but I was at the convention.

Joe

I am looking for a few things to finish up this project.

Is the spline count the same with a 5 bolt flange vs a 6 bolt flange?

Axle shafts--Where can i get these?

Adapter Plates--5 bolt pattern 300zx na

Bushings--to attach the ring gear

so close but yet so far!

Thanks