HybridZ

Anybody try this neat little intercooler on ebay?

Guest Z Draci

Guest Z Draci

Neat looking intercooler link.

I was looking at intercooler options like the 944 and Supra ones. I intend to run the stock T3 for now and later swap to a T3/T4 hybrid down the line with a Megasquirt system for 250hp. Rather than run a NPR overkill intercooler, I thought this little intercooler on ebay was a nice alternative. It's also priced fairly well for what it claims to be--bar & plate with a 0.2psi pressure drop. It also has 2.75" inlet/outlet for decent tubing for a small turbo. The intercooler is also small enough to mount behind my 240Z front grill--out of sight.

Have any of you guys had any experience with these cheap ebay intercoolers? What's your take on it?

Guest Z Draci

I'm only planning to run the stock T3 to up to 250hp. I don't think I need the NPR intercooler for that! That's for people who run close to 20psi of boost and getting way over 300hp.

I'm just doing a mild setup for my car. The MOST I'll be doing is a T3/T4 hybrid turbo with a Megasquirt system for 250hp.

If I want to go even faster, I have other cars that will do it for me. My Z is just going to be a mild street machine.

A radiator half the size as stock would work too as long as you didn't boost for to long. The bigger the intercooler the better. It doen't matter if you are going to push 10 psi or 20 psi through it.

This is style is more efficient and will would fit nicely. Price is about the same. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVERSAL-INTERCOOLER-TURBO-FMIC-FRONT-MOUNT-BAR-PLATE_W0QQitemZ7992814901QQcategoryZ33742QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't necessarily agree that bigger is always better. You have to take into account boost lag somewhere in the equation.

A road racer certainly would want a rather large intercooler for the same amount of horsepower from its' engine than a typical steet-racer, concerned with stoplite to stoplite action, because he is continually making demands on the coolin/heatsink capabilities of the intercooler, and for longer periods of time.

In a short burst situation, a smaller, very efficient intercooler can give all the performace/cooling needed, and have better boost response because there is less volume to pressurize.

One must be realistic in determining what the application will be in order to come up with the right "package" for the car.

Not a bad unit for only $165!!! Conidering I just sold a used but beautiful condition and professionally polished Starion IC for $145

I love the ad where it says "JUST REMEMBER THE COOLER THE ENGINE IS , THE BETTER THE CAR CAN PERFORM!!! "

How cheesy is that?

Yasin

I don't necessarily agree that bigger is always better. You have to take into account boost lag somewhere in the equation.

I went from a small Supra intercooler with 2" plumbing to a 4" thick x 12"x 24" core with 2.5 and 2.75" plumbing. There was no difference in lag. It doesn't take much to pressurize the extra volume. 10 rotations of an engine will use more air than the added intercooler capacity. At 3500 rpm 10 rotations would not be noticable to anyone. I guess a small intercooler can be efficient when used on a small engine with low airflow requirements, like a low boost 1.5l motor.

Definately don't short yourself on an intercooler. There is plenty of room for an intercooler up front, take advantage of it. I agree, the one Clifton linked to is a better choice and is nearly the same $...

Just my $.02

It's not too much smaller than the IC I'm running as well, but it's wrong for the Z. It's only 2-3/8" thick and 6" tall, so it's actually quite restrictive for large flows. On a Honda it's perfect, because it's very efficient at low flows because of it's length. Notice the seller claims only 1/2 psi drop, but does not state at what airflow this drop is.

My IC is the same style, bar and plate (Spearco) and the same configuration (flow across, inlet and outlet on opposide sides), but it is 3-1/2" thick and 8" tall, for 100% more flow area.

Guest Z Draci

I think I'll go with the "MISHIMOTO" or whatever intercooler that Clifton posted. It's about the same price as the miniature one I first posted. And who knows. I might get addicted to boost and go all crazy later on!

Hopefully the bigger one won't hurt the little boost the stock T3 will put out.