HybridZ

CA smog nazis at it again:remote sensing

Tim240z

From todays Sunday LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-smog14aug14,0,6053401.story?coll=la-home-headlines

I posted the text as these newspaper sites kill the links after a while:

Smog Cops to Look for Emissions of Guilt

Sensors scattered along Southland roadways will monitor exhaust. The state will help pay to replace or repair fume-belching clunkers.

By Miguel Bustillo, Times Staff Writer

For anyone who has ever been stuck behind a car belching thick black plumes of pollution, Southern California's smog cops have a message that some will find reassuring: They will soon be scanning the streets for smoky clunkers.

In the largest experiment of its kind in California, the South Coast Air Quality Management District plans to use remote sensors and video cameras to measure air pollution from 1 million vehicles as they enter freeways and navigate roads in the counties of Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino and Riverside.

If caught, the owners of the most environmentally offensive cars and trucks would receive letters informing them that the government would pay to fix or scrap their vehicles. The South Coast district estimates that 10,000 to 20,000 of the dirtiest vehicles would be detected. Smog regulators lack the authority to order drivers to dump dirty cars, but they can offer incentives.

California officials estimate that the dirtiest 10% of all cars and trucks — mostly older vehicles — spew out roughly 50% of the state's smog-forming emissions from vehicles. By the end of this decade, three-fourths of emissions from vehicles will be from older cars and trucks, state officials estimate.

Studies have shown that scrapping high-polluting vehicles is among the most cost-effective ways of cleaning the air — far cheaper than additional controls on power plants and refineries. Yet politicians and state officials have failed for years to get the dirtiest cars off the streets.

"You can't meet our air quality goals without addressing this problem," said Victor Weisser, chairman of California's Inspection and Maintenance Review Committee, which oversees the state's smog-check program.

"We have made great strides with cleaner gasoline and new engines, but you can't make bigger reductions until you get some of these cars off the road," he said. "And unless we do something, these cars from the 1980s are going to be on the road a long time."

Smog regulators are expected to give formal approval to the program next month, and enough sensors to scan a million cars — one in 10 cars in Southern California — would begin work early next year.

Air officials, fearing that motorists with dirty cars would try to avoid the sensors, won't disclose where they will be, other than saying most will be along freeway ramps. Perhaps as few as a dozen would be required, because each one can scan thousands of vehicles a day, and they will be moved from place to place, officials said.

Past efforts to focus on the dirtiest cars and trucks have been stalled by political opposition. Some opponents have complained that poor families who can least afford new cars would be hurt most by any move to target high-polluting vehicles. Other opponents have raised concerns that sensors would invade people's privacy.

In an attempt to allay privacy concerns, air pollution officials plan to hire a nonprofit group to send the mailings and deal with vehicle owners. The information on whose cars turned up as high polluters will be maintained in a database separate from motorists' regular state records, officials said.

Even as local smog regulators are moving ahead with the remote-sensor idea, state air quality officials have doubts about it. Some have questioned the accuracy of remote-sensing equipment, fearing that it will finger the wrong drivers by mistake. Southern California air regulators, by contrast, say the technology, which is now being used in Texas and Maryland, has a good track record.

Some critics of California's smog-control tactics say the real reason the state has failed to address the problem of dirty, older cars is that doing so would require officials to acknowledge that the smog-check program is not working.

Ten million cars and trucks are tested every year in California to ensure that they do not emit excessive pollution. Cars built in 1976 or before are exempt, as are cars newer than six years old. All other cars must be tested every other year to have vehicle registrations renewed. In most cases, cars that fail must be repaired so they will pass inspection.

A 2001 report by the National Academy of Sciences found smog-check programs generally failed to deliver the predicted pollution reductions, though it noted that they had made a positive impact.

In California, an evaluation of the state program found that in 1999 it was achieving only 36% of the reductions state regulators had predicted. Changes have produced marked improvements, but the program is still falling short of expectations.

"Smog check is like trying to stop drunk driving by giving everyone a sobriety test once a year at the DMV," said Joel Schwartz, a former executive officer of the committee that oversees the smog-check program and now a visiting scholar with the American Enterprise Institute, a free-market think tank.

"We have known for at least 20 years that these inspection programs do not work particularly well," Schwartz said. "The evidence has been overwhelming that they are failing to repair the high-polluting cars. There is fraud. And yet they have been popular with regulators and activists."

The smog-check program has been plagued by fraud since its inception in 1984. In the last decade, state investigations have uncovered dozens of private smog-check stations engaged in "clean piping," a practice in which emissions from a cleaner vehicle are illegally used to substitute for one that could not pass the inspections. In many cases, investigators have found that smog station technicians charged extra money on the side without the knowledge of a shop's owners.

Outside reviews of the program, conducted by pulling over motorists after they have received smog checks, have also found evidence of what critics call the "clean for a day" problem: cars that have been rigged by technicians to get through the test, only to fall back into disrepair within days.

"There is a lot of suspicion that the repairs being done" on cars and trucks that fail the smog checks "are not lasting," said Dean Saito, the official in charge of the planned Southern California monitoring program.

That's what Douglas R. Lawson, a former scientist with the California Air Resources Board, discovered to his surprise a decade ago.

In 1995, Lawson used sensors to detect high polluters in Orange County and then radioed California Highway Patrol officers to pull over the vehicles and administer smog tests on the spot. More than 90% failed, including many that had recently passed the smog check.

The smog-check program has been reworked numerous times, but large-scale changes have proved politically difficult, in part because the 8,000 private smog-testing stations in the state have become political players in their own right, with lobbying coalitions in Sacramento.

Last year, groups representing smog stations opposed a proposal to grant longer new-car exemptions from inspections, arguing that it would harm their businesses. The proposal involved raising smog-check fees and ultimately provided the money to help fund the new remote-sensing proposal.

Citing smog check's underperformance, Schwartz and other critics argue that the state should scrap the program or at least limit it to older cars and instead install a vast web of remote sensors to snare problem vehicles.

Most air pollution experts reject that suggestion, arguing that remote sensing alone could never replace smog checks.

But supporters of remote sensing maintain that some state officials have opposed the technology out of fear that the sensors will expose smog check's flaws.

Lawson is one of several experts who argue that a large-scale monitoring program in California is long overdue.

"I am a fan of getting the air clean at the lowest cost to society, period," Lawson said. "And I am convinced that if the high-emitter problem were solved, the Los Angeles region would" comply with clean-air standards.

"I am happy that the South Coast is moving forward, they are showing leadership. But this should have been done a decade ago."

Finding the dirtiest vehicles

Southern California pollution fighters plan to set up mobile units to find fume-belching vehicles. Owners will be offered money to fix or scrap the cars and light trucks. Here's how the system will work:

1) Sensors record engine output data and trigger camera to identify license plate and kind of vehicle.

2) Laser beam checks concentration of hydrocarbons and other pollutants in exhaust.

3) Data are later retrieved and notices sent to owners of gross polluters.

Key points

Program is expected to begin early next year in Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino counties.

- Possibly as few as a dozen sensors would be needed to monitor tailpipe emissions, mostly on freeway access ramps.

- Drivers who get notices could go to one of 32 community colleges, where smog-check dispute referees and mechanics would do tests and up to $500 in free repairs.

- Alternatively, the South Coast Air Quality Management District would offer owners $1,000 to scrap clunkers.

- Low-income owners could get up to $2,000 in additional aid to replace older cars with ones built after 1990.

this has been coming for over 15 years.

my old neighbor ( CBAR official ) had a friend years back, over at CARB (calif air resources bureau ), that was setting up infared gas detector devices at the freeway on ramps and busy intersections to see if this was feasible.

they want to put them in areas where they can get the most amount of gas into the air. this would include on ramps, and really busy stop and go intersections, areas where a hi po engine will load up with fuel.

this isn't just a california thing

this group took their show on the road.

they were in denver co.

arizona

pennsylvania

toronto canada

and a few others i can't recall.

this is a passive aggressive way for the states to make money. as well as help car dealers sell more cars. this idea works great in japan. what is it, 50k on an engine and junk it ???

it is planned to operate very much the same way as the red light and photo radar set ups. they mail you a pollution ticket, with a fine and so many days to correct the problem. after that time period, the offending vehicle will not be allowed on public highways until it is corrected.

should one choose to ignore the ticket, vehicle will be impounded. pay a fine, must be towed home or to state smog station for repairs and inspection at reg's owner's costs.

we all hope that you have all the correct smog components under the hood. regardless of whether the smog station sniffer passes the vehicle,all the components must be there. there is no $$$ amount limit for repairs if smog has been tampered with. nor will they offer to buy the offender from you.

from what my old neighbor had heard, in ca. you would be allowed to drive the vehicle home for repairs and attempt another test. you must get a driving pass from DMV to pilot your vehicle to the smog station ( you must have that shop's address on the pass ) and back home. once you pass, you get a sticker that says you are okay, computer uploads to the state. you get to have an annual smog check to make sure is within specs.

should vehicle not pass, you get to take it home and try again .. repeat the cycle.

if one is caught driving an offending vehicle, after not passing at a smog station and no moving papers in the vehicle, the original plan was to impound and destroy.

some camps feel that is too harsh, rather than destroy, give owner the option of paying a state certified smog station to bring the vehicle into specs or, sell the vehicle to the state for a nominal fee of $1000 or there abouts ( again if tampered with no money for you ).

they impound and keep drug offender's cars, meth, jack daniel's, budweiser, cocaine, weed, or any other mind altering drug. as far as impounding goes, no big deal to the state. too bad you loose.

if you don't want it, write to the proper authorities

Hol-ee-****!

Well, if they're unmanned stations, a fake plate might help:-) Damn, I was planning on removing some felines from my Z32 too!

So if you see a remote sensing thing (anyone know what to look for?) drop it into neutral and roll by with the throttle closed? How does the whole smog exempt thing come into play? I shoulda kept my stock L24 for emergency engine swaps...

That sucks...

Owen

...this is a passive aggressive way for the states to make money. as well as help car dealers sell more cars. this idea works great in japan. what is it, 50k on an engine and junk it ???

Darn right it is. It's ALWAYS about money. Politicians have not done anything for the good of the people in a long time...about 40 years or so. This is all BS and it involves money and padding their own re-elections. Ooops, sorry. I'm getting political and I'll stop. I know we have the new rules. Sorry.

it is planned to operate very much the same way as the red light and photo radar set ups. they mail you a pollution ticket, with a fine and so many days to correct the problem. after that time period, the offending vehicle will not be allowed on public highways until it is corrected...should one choose to ignore the ticket, vehicle will be impounded. pay a fine, must be towed home or to state smog station for repairs and inspection at reg's owner's costs.
:fmad:

That totally bites. They are selling new cars at a rate the is unprecidented. Older cars are going into the scrap heap of history at the same rate, eyt they continue to complain and complain. They don't make 1970's cars anymore you idiots (that's aimed at them, not us).

some camps feel that is too harsh...

Ooooooh, just bit! :banghead::mad:

snip snip

from the article in the paper

says that 76 and older cars will be exempt from getting a letter. if true, that means no 240z would get a letter.

back when this experiment was going on, the rolling smog exemption was the law. all cars 25 years and older were exempt from smog tests. as a car became 25 years old, no more smog tests.

working with legislator from modesto and san jose ca. that law was struck down, even though was supposed to be the permanent rule.

currently the permanent rule is 76 and older are exempt from smog checks at time of registration and transfer of title ( change of ownership ). though when quizzed, the authors of the current rule, verbally say that all 76 and older cars are exempt from smog tests or equipment, that is not what the written rule says.

the same guy, doing the testing with the sniffer also told my old neighbor, that if they can catch a polluter in the rolling 25 year exemption, they would do what they could to nail them as gross polluters. if they were able to prove a large percentage of gross polluters in that rolling exemption, they would do what they could to get rid of it.

the rolling 25 yr old exemption is long gone. had nothing to do with the sniffer, just politicians.

so, for now, as long as your vehicle is not a gross polluter, you should be fine.

but if the carb can show an unacceptable amount of pollution from the exempted vehicles, i am sure they will waive that exemption for smog tickets resulting from the sniffer.

they already did way with the rolling 25.

it won't be much for them to get the same legislators to do way with or modify the current smog exemption rule.

again, write your reps, write sema, let em know how you feel.

if they only hear from people who hate cars, that's who they listen to.

i am not in favor of pollution !!! i back up to a busy street and everytime some p.o.s. goes by i have to close my windows. just like the rest of you, i want clean air. i am in big favor of getting true polluters off the road.

99% of us have cars that will pass the smog test standards set for the year of the car we drive ( as long as the hood isn't lifted ). so, it appears at this time, what we have to fear is not knowing at what level pollutants the sniffer is set at as acceptable and whether or not those that hate our hobby are able to once again influence those who make the rules.

worried ???

write and take it easy on the freeway on ramps.

they take a pix of lic plate and the car.

the dmv records are available to the smog sniffer, same as the red light cameras and photo radar.

if your vehicle is registered as 76 and older, shouldn't be an issue.

don't know about the gross polluter issue.

yes, a 20 foot exhaust tip would not only stop fumes from coming in the cabin, but should put one way past the sniffer/camera. will be all the rage with the untuned crowd, especially if the gov decides to do away with smog tests and rely strictly on sniffers.

almost sounds like the gas tax per gallon used by the mile deal. the less gas mileage the more tax. the more one drives per year, the more gas tax.

Guest bastaad525

doesn't sound to me like they're going to be able to do much about it, #1, and #2, it sounds like they are only after the really bad cars that are literally smoking... the real junkers that really should be pulled off the street. "The South Coast district estimates that 10,000 to 20,000 of the dirtiest vehicles would be detected. Smog regulators lack the authority to order drivers to dump dirty cars, but they can offer incentives."

Seems like this could tie into the thread about CA's crackdown on modified vehicles: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103403

What kind of worries me when going into an inspection is whether the presence of an intercooler or aftermarket (Pallnet) fuel rail on my 280ZXT will mean an automatic failure/hassle.

They will be so blown away by the awesomeness and quality of workmanship that they will let you go in a stunned silence.

I was thinking that if one were to fabricate some kind of venturi around the tip of the exhaust that would create a more significant mixing of external air with the exhaust stream that would dilute any high readings......You know, the old "dilution is the solution to pollution" attitude.

I was thinking that if one were to fabricate some kind of venturi around the tip of the exhaust that would create a more significant mixing of external air with the exhaust stream that would dilute any high readings......You know, the old "dilution is the solution to pollution" attitude.

Or use turndowns under the middle of the car to dilute the exhaust by the time it gets to the back of the car, but the CO seeping in could kill you or at least a few braincells in the meantime. :?

Davy

Just run the exhaust out the front like a lot of the FWD drag cars.

Or build a cutout that routes the exhaust into the cabin. Then, when you see one of the testing stations on the side of the on ramp, roll up the windows, take a deep breath, hit the cutout, and then once you're by and are hopefully still concious, close the cutout and roll down the windows.

I guess the question will be: Will we be able to see the 'system' while driving, or will they be "hidden" from view? According to the TV news report, they will be moved around to different locations from time to time......

I think it's a great idea, but may need some changes in the implementation, so it can be done in other large cities.The worst offenders are the source of the air quality problem, so they should know to do something about it- or else. Getting some assistance is great too.

Being one of the cities with the worst air quality, it's only right that it starts there, and logical that they get all the heat from objections. It will clean the air, make everything and everyone healthier, and make life cheaper in the end.

Greedy, lazy people trying not to spend any money on anything is what is perpetuating the air quality problem, and assuming all the people in the Hybridz group want the bst performance for the cars, it only makes more sense that the same people will set the best examples on maintaining vehicles.

thx