HybridZ

Does the new Uber fast Cars make you MAD?

cyrus

Does the new Uber fast Cars make you mad? I mean I spent LOTS of time and LOTS of money to get my car to be fast (12.1@122 so far). Now I see the New Z06, GT500 mustang, GT40, Skyline, Viper, and modded EVO/STI. I just look at those car and know their car is nice, safe, fast, and rust-free. My wife always tells me I would not be happy with those because I would not have built it, just write huge checks. I built my car to be faster than those cars, but those cars are getting REALLY fast now...

the difference is your home mechanics vs. tens of millions of dollars spend by engineers for a company with deep pockets doing research. Your Z has limitations: drivetrain, suspension, steering. It's 30 year old outdated technology. Steel control arms vs. aluminum. Body isn't rigid, etc.

But you know what? you don't have to smog yours. and your wife is correct. You've also spent less money on your car to run 12.1 than those cars cost new.

Does it make me mad??? Heck no... I have one of each! :2thumbs:

Seriously, If you're a gear head, you won't leave a new car stock either... YES it'll do everything better. YES it will be safer, and YES it'll have all the great creature comforts... But one look here: http://photos.yahoo.com/dat74z (Look in the vette folder) and you can see what happens when guys like US buy super cars like THESE! :lmao:

I still have a Datsun because I couldn't get one of you guys to buy the damned thing from me... beyond that, I'll take a nice NEW Vette (or my 500HP C5) for the street and a REAL race car for the track, as opposed my Zcar... However, I don't have the shop space because the Z just eats it up! :lmao: Guess I'm stuck with it for all time! :roll:

Mike :cool:

The Z never seemed like the best drag racing platform to me. The playing field evens out when you start turning the cars, so you might try autox or road racing. I'm sure your drag race Z will need some suspension tweaks to work on a road course or an autox, but once you get things hooked up you'll be ditching most if not all of the cars you mentioned.

The only time cars make me mad is when they don't work the way they are supposed to.

I like fast cars and slow cars and inbetween cars. I like Lamborghini's, some Ford's, some Chevy's, and some triumph's and Fiat's. I also like old Willys and those home built rock crawlers. How about Bug-eye Sprite's, their pretty cool. I even like my Isuzu Stylus. I don't really care much for AMC Pacers - but they don't make me mad.

When I had my first Z car I got blown away by some muscle car and had a hard time keeping up with a Merkure (sp) XR4Ti, but that didn't make me mad. It was actually pretty fun.

I saw a video about the Jaguar XJ220, now that is a cool car, anyway, it has a 500hp twin turbo v6 that gets 19 or 20 mpg, and it will do 200+ mph. Nothing to be mad about there.

Cars are great, even some of the ugly ones. I like my Z even if it will never be as fast as my brother's hopped up 66 Mustang. The truth is that my Z is better than his Mustang even though my Z doesn't run - that makes my brother mad =).

exactly i like cars! But eh the prius is the only car that makes me mad, and the insight (but onyl cuz of the insights looks). I don't like how everyone jumped on the hybrid band wagon when a good amount of gas cars in europe are quite capable of making the same mpg. Why not just buy a diesel euro spec car, would blow the prius away. Any way it just pisses me off that people buy into that crap that the prius is going to save the earth. That being said hybrid tech has potential just it shouldnt have to be coupled with ugly looks, automatics, and ultra-liberal ways (not trying to be political but hey i live in San Francisco and thats what ive ntoiced thats all)

(note: i cant wait for the hybrid performance cars to start coming out {if they have a stick, if not eh it dont intrest me much, personal preference})

Guest bastaad525

Agreed!!!! People who spend tons of cash on super fast cars to drive 10 mph UNDER the speed limit PISS ME OFF TO NO END!!!!!!!!!!

All I can think is... "that person doesn't deserve that car... he/she is WASTING it!!! I know what I'D do if I had that car!!!".

And yes, the very sudden increase in performance for factory sports/sporty cars does kind of suck. 5 years ago my car would have been fast enough to take out almost anything, but now there are some cars out there, some not even that expensive like the Evo or STi or yeah, even that new mustang is pretty cheap... and they can give me a serious run for my money.

But it is gratifying to think that... hey I built my car for what, all of $10k tops? So I've got Corvette-like performance levels (well, in some aspects anyways) for Kia-like prices... works for me. Plus, you get the whole 'cool' factor of driving a classic...

But I have and do often contemplate selling my Z for a downpayment on a nice new sports car... I want the amenities, I want the creature comforts, the safety, the gas mileage, the lack of exhaust fumes and gas fumes in the cabin, the not having to constantly be fixing stuff.....

The new sports cars are probably the biggest reason I want to get out of hotrodding. I don't make enough money to try and contend with the new muscle even though I could probably hang with some of them now, but what happens in say 5 years when the 600hp corvette comes out (hypothetically)? I'm not rebuilding another engine or modding the one I have anymore. UNLESS it's a twin turbo V-8...... When the then new cars start keeping up with that it's time to throw in the towel.

Guest Z Draci

I have my 240Z because it's a classic that everybody recognizes and appreciates. I don't have it because it's the fastest car in the world. It has too many flaws and weaknesses! There's only so much you can do to a car with 60's design and engineering.

Once I complete my 240Z to my heart's content, I'm moving on to fast and better cars. I'm pretty sure I'd get sick of pretending that my 240Z is the best car in the world. It's a darn good car, but not the absolute pinnacle of automobiles.

In a couple more decades, most road cars would be into the 3 second 0-60mph territory. I don't think that's physically possible with a streetable 240Z.

Owen, Those guys don't make me mad... It's the guys who look at me like I have a 3rd eyeball when I tell them I do ALL MY OWN WORK on my C5... Those guys are tools. And they drive piss slow for the most part! :2thumbs:

Guest bastaad525

In a couple more decades' date=' most road cars would be into the 3 second 0-60mph territory. I don't think that's physically possible with a streetable 240Z.[/quote']

!!!!

In a couple more decades we'll all be driving battery powered cars.....

Seriously though, I don't think we'll EVER hit a point where the average car is that fast, no matter how far car technology advances, truth is, most people cannot handle that kind of speed and power, so it will be reserved only for the top of the top cars. The top of the top, may cover a broader range in 10-20 years, sure, but they'll still be the vast minority.

NOt a chance... Look at the tests done from the 1970s and 1980s... Most cars on average were NOT seeing more than 7-9second zero to 60... Now days a new Mustang GT is weighing in at 3600+ #... A new GTO is closing in on 3800#... ALL these creature comforts add power sapping weight penalties... Your MILLION DOLLAR ENZO only clips along at about 3 seconds to 60. Most exotic cars of this day, 2006 model years looming on the horizon, are only in the mid-4 second to mid-3 second range... and your AVERAGE CAR off the showroom floor is STILL only in the 7-8 second range. :roll:

In another 30 years we'll still have very few gigabucks cars running in the upper 2 second to lower 3 second range and you'll still have MOST average cars running the 7-8 second to 60 range... Cost to manufacture, cost in passing safety standards, and sales revenue will keep this in check, just as it has for the last 30 years. :roll:

Owen' date=' Those guys don't make me mad... It's the guys who look at me like I have a 3rd eyeball when I tell them I do ALL MY OWN WORK on my C5... Those guys are tools. And they drive piss slow for the most part! :2thumbs:

Mike :cool:[/quote']

Yeah, the "bolt on crowd". Some guy at work thought he was cool cuz he put clear taillights on his Chevy truck...gimme a break, my dog could do that!

He's not a kid either, he's like 40 something...poor clueless bastard...

Owen

Guest the_dj

I am a little concerned about a stock vette beating my heads/cam/supercharged LS1... that's just creepy.

The older I get though, the more I realize I'll be just another checkbook racer. I have to pick between making the money needed to mod the cars (working), or having the time to do the work myself (not working). Over time you realize that if you want such a nice car, you might have to let someone else do it and just pay them.

It's fine by me really. It's still my ideas, and I still get to drive it. Enthusiasts/haters might not say so, but I'll still call it MY car too. :)

I just like the Z for what it is. . . simple and easy, nice looking with good performance and I can do anything I want to it.

I have never had a bad ride in my Z even at its worst.

Really don’t care to have “hot†car on the streets these days.

Costs to much, I would get in to much trouble and some dumb a$$ is undoubtedly going to mess it up one way or the other or steel it.

Take mine to a track somewhere and enjoy it, bring it home and get into my daily driver and go.