HybridZ

need some parts for my 280z

hi guys, this is my first time posting. i recently purchased a 1976 280z. great condition, 110,xxxkms garaged for 15 yrs by previous owner. no under body rust, only some on the hatch and rear fenders. great interior. but needs some suspension parts/bushings.

to list:

- tranny driveshaft (the one in the midde after the tranny and b4 the rear axle, i was told there was 3...)

- 2 front balljoints

- whole rack & pinion including ALL the bushings

- outter tierod (right front side)

- sway bar bushings

- stabilizer bushings

- fuel filter

- complete lock + ignition system (my old ignition works but the doors are screwed up. i have to open the trunk and climb in to manually pull the lock. but i want to use 1 key instead of 2...)

i was goin to go to the dealership and ask for the price. i dunno how overpriced they'd be. so im just asking here first before i go get ripped off... is there anyplace online that will have these parts for cheap?

also the previous owner lowered the car but the susepension seems shot... what kind of springs/shocks combo to go for? i want something firm and low :D sorry for all the newb questions. i have a german car b4 the Z and modding that was a bit different..

tia!

First thing to do is use the search function. You'll find there have been many threads on suspension and spring choices.

Then start looking on ebay. I got the Tokico Illuminas for about $10 more each than MSA has the Tokico Blues from a regular ebay seller. I think you can get the blues for about $50 each.

Not sure about those springs, but if you search you'll find other info good and bad about the common spring setups. Tokico, Arizona Z Car, Suspension Techniques, and MSA have stock size springs.

- tranny driveshaft (the one in the midde after the tranny and b4 the rear axle, i was told there was 3...)

only one driveshaft on the Z.. so i dunno what you were told.

also zcarparts.com have okay prices, ebay is better, and most stuff you can find still from Nissan if you want factory replacement.

i wouldnt do reg springs, i would do coilovers.

http://www.modern-motorsports.com

mike

2 driveshafts on a Z?? never once saw that.

theres the halfshafts or CV's depends on what ppl have that drives the rear wheels, and a driveshaft thats between the rear diff and the tranny.

mike

J___, to answer your other question, here's info on sectioning the struts: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103860

I believe that's what you meant by "short stroking" them. You just need the right length struts to do this, the 88 Toyota MR2 rear strut works in front, some use VW GTi (not sure what year on the GTi. Then you use the 240 front strut in the rear tube. The tubes get sectioned to fit these new struts, I'm not positive exactly how much that is and you wouldn't want to start cutting until you had them in your hands, but if memory serves it's something like 1 5/8" in front and 2" in rear. On the MR2 strut I know the Illumina part number is BZ3099 so you can use that to cross reference the appropriate Blue strut.