HybridZ

How fast you do it?

Alright guys, i have seen alot of you talk about how long it took you to do this swap. i see ALOT! of "while im at it" coments. Thats not a problem with me, because i know theres no way i can do that with being an underpaid private :) ( i mean paint, and interior and all that otehr stuff)

So, how long did it take from the running datsun motor, to a runnin chevy motor? not including all that other stuff...

I dont wanna know because im gonna rush it and take short cuts, i just get onto stuff when im doing it. Does anyone know the man hours?

I will have block leave after iraq (2-3weeks off) and im trying to see if i could have it done in that time.

I mean, i really think i can, if i have the assembled motor and tranny. It shouldnt take more than an hour to have the z motor out.. its the in between time i think will take a while, they stuff i have never done before, droppin it in, should be no problem, once ive test fitted, and got the cross member figured out.

Define "running". Do you mean running as in all the bugs worked out or running as in mounted and has gas going into the intake and a positive wire going to the ignition?

If you mean all the bugs worked out there's not a chance in hell.

If you mean something in between the two then absolutely if you know your stuff.

I would say try to do it right the first time no matter how long it takes. Doing things over again is a major PITA, but you will end up doing some things more than once I promise! If you are experienced enough to do it right the first time in 3 weeks then you are the man. If not then don't take it personally.

On my first attempt I was able to pull the Datsun Drivetrain in October 1998 and took the car for its first test drive by May/ June the following year. I also had upgraded the fuel system to a fuel cell and relocated the battery to the rear of the car and repaired the rust below the battery box and removed the battery box from the car completely. I prepped and painted the engine bay was well. So when you consider all that, along with learning how to "do" the T56 tranny components as well, I think that turn around was pretty quick. I also was recouperating from a fractured skull during this timeframe, so it was very therapudic to build this V8 car.

If I had a clean car that required no interior or suspension "stuff", I'd be able to do a swap in about 2-4 weekends or less. If everything was inhouse, it would be quicker for sure.

Buy the JTR manual and read this site... Everything you could imagine to stump you has been sorted here by other members, a luxury we didn't have back in the 90s! :2thumbs:

Mike

On my first attempt I was able to pull the Datsun Drivetrain in October 1998 and took the car for its first test drive by May/ June the following year. I also had upgraded the fuel system to a fuel cell and relocated the battery to the rear of the car and repaired the rust below the battery box and removed the battery box from the car completely. I prepped and painted the engine bay was well. So when you consider all that' date=' along with learning how to "do" the T56 tranny components as well, I think that turn around was pretty quick. I also was recouperating from a fractured skull during this timeframe, so it was very therapudic to build this V8 car.

If I had a clean car that required no interior or suspension "stuff", I'd be able to do a swap in about 2-4 weekends or less. If everything was inhouse, it would be quicker for sure.

Buy the JTR manual and read this site... Everything you could imagine to stump you has been sorted here by other members, a luxury we didn't have back in the 90s! :2thumbs:

Mike[/quote']

I am definantly seaving all the really good posts in my favorites, i have a special folder for exhaust, and tranny, and all that cool stuff, its really gonna take out the guess work

Also, i will run the engine in a stand before i drop it in the car, prior to the 2-3 weeks, that will take outa alot of tuning

The shop has a lift, and a huge air compressor (for air ratchet) so that will speed it up.

280zwitha383, you said theres no chance in hell!

If i worked for 40 hours a week, for 3 weeks, (120 hours) you really dont think i could do it? what kinda bugs would slow really slow me down? what am i not seeing, that might happen?

this is gonna be so fun

Yes you can do it in 120 hrs. If the others are like myself then that means they only have about 2 or 3 hrs a week to spend on their cars. I think it took me about 130 to do mine and get it on the road. Being a Z tho, I still work on it every week.

I think I spent 1/4 that time looking for tools, or fabricating something to make it work. At least 1/4 of the time was spent on wiring.

I will have block leave after iraq (2-3weeks off) and im trying to see if i could have it done in that time.

Dude...... enjoy the time off relaxing. The car will always be there, and may cause more headache than you want to deal with when your supposed to be "chillin".

But yeah, 120-130 hrs seems reasonable

On the other extreme I have been working on mine since 1988, and have yet to start putting it back together. Something about two kids , a house ,and a wife seem to have delayed the work. Hopefully now that I have retired form the working class I will get this done. I even had a head start in that it is an original Scarab conversion.

If you have everything ready to go (JTR kit purchased, JTR book read) i think 120 hours is reasonable. One hour to pull the 6 might be a little optimistic but other than that I think it can be done. Put together a project plan day by day and try to stick to that as your guide. If there is anyone in your area that can help (that has done the swap) you will save tons of time.

You can easily do a basic V8 swap into a 240/260/280Z in decent condition within 120 manhours - if this is your SECOND swap!!! If you already know exactly what to do, you can do the job quickly. If you're learning and scratching your head and going down blind alleys, 120 hours is impossible.

My swap has been ongoing for 6 years - and this is with a relatively stock suspension, almost no rust repair, copious amounts of professional help with welding (there isn't a single weld in my car that I did myself - because I can't weld!), no kids, plenty of budget, a very understanding wife, and an empty 4-car garage.

Lets see.. my first V8 swap was into an 85 rx7, and it took me a year. It still wasn't great, and had lots of issues. two years ago, I bought a Z.. It took me a year just to put it back together enough to drive.. thats just with the stock L28, which I've since re-built and added a 5 speed to. V8 would require more frame work, suspension and brake work.. ugh... So I found something similar, but not as 'rough' overall. In two months, from scratch, I built a V8 powered 86 RX7. (Actually, it would have been done faster, but I got sick one week, and ended up working insane overtime the next week to make some $$$ up, therefore loosing two weeks on the project) Having previous expiriance and some skils now made it a lot easier, but I'd say at least HALF the reason it went so smooth and quickly was a CLEAN CHASSIS!!!

You will need to make a dozen trips to a parts store, run into walls when the stores are closed, have to wait for parts that you needed to order..

There are a lot of reasons you will not get it done.

Nothing wrong with trying but just tell yourself that your not going to be dead set on getting it completed, You will not enjoy the work and be upset when things slow you down.

This is to be as much fun as building as driving it..

I love it every time I add a little to get it closer to perfect..

I have been having a great time, only because Im not rushing.

I have done a ton of studying and internet learning..

Big fun if not in a hurry!

I'm probably gonna get smacked around for this,but the job can be done easily in your timeframe IF YOU ARE WELL ORGANIZED AND THOUROUGH IN YOUR PREPARATION! I went through the JTR book and looked over other cars before I started and had my engine and tranny completely assembled and ready to go.I drove the car into the shop friday after work,and it moved under its own chevy power tuesday.It was running sunday afternoon,but could'nt move it until i measured and had the driveshaft made.Having someone there who has done this will speed things along but a good mechanic is all you really need.It just depends on what you call "completed".If you are not afraid of the wiring(its really straightforward) and have ALL the tools you will need,its really not that bad of a job.Good luck with it!

I dunno...this was my first V8Z swap...From the time I pulled my running Z into the garage...it took me about a month and a half, maybe two months of working on it every couple of nights for about an hour or so, more on the weekends.

Of course, it all depends on if you get caught up in the "while I'm in there" bit...

I spent a total of about $1700 on my swap...and that included a bunch of things I didn't necessarily "need" but, wanted (like a new water pump, new alternator, etc...)

The biggest time consumer was going back down to the store to buy more bolts...it was never ending.

I should put together a bolt kit for the V8Z swap someday...I'd make millions.

I think that it could be done, but not by me... I'm too disorganized.

Your project requires a fully functional Z in one bay (no brake, suspension or body work needed, thank you!), the full JTR kit (does it have driveshaft and headers now?) and more planning than you can do between now and when it all goes down.

In the next bay must reside a fully functional engine/transmission combination with all hoses, belts, cooler lines and any support electronics- with full schematics- (annotated as to cuts and splices needed to be grafted into your particular Z... did I mention Z schematics?). Special gas tank and/or fuel pump needed?

Skills, tools, confidence and a pre scheduled appointment with the muffler shop, and you have a hybrid. But only if you can arrange ALL the details, and bribe Murphy to spend the month at home (my shop).

Good luck!

If you are very organized and don't fall into the "While I'm at it trap" it can be done in your time frame. I also think that 1 hour to pull the 6 cylinder is optimitistic. You don't just want to go in cutting wires and hoses because when it comes time to hook it back up you will have to trace everything out to get it wired right. As you unhook things label every one with some sort of tag and do the same with all the nuts and bolts but put them in large ziplock freezer bags.

You will need two bays, one for the car and the other for the new drivetrain, will the MWR garage allow you do do this? If not better make some other arrangements.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Wheelman

yea, I totally understand, i tried to build my malibu before power tour, i didnt make it by about 2 days.. i was crushed.

I made 3-4 trips to orielly's everyday for about 2 weeks

awd92gsx mentioned bolts,

Well, we have an account with fastenal, so we have all these little metal boxes, labeled with bolts, comes in VERY!!! handy.

And, im an electrician, and this will be done at an electrical shop, so i have all the wire, in every color, and every gage i will need, all the butt splices, and all that. wiring is too easy....

Orielly's is about 1/2 a mile from me, napa and auto zone are about 3-4.

little things like that really help, and will speed up the process

This post has helped me, i know of 3 z's will small blocks, i hope Phantom will let me look over his z, the other 2 should too, i will take notes, and pictures. Phantom dosnt know me, but he is the reason im doing this.

I saw his z with an ls1 at sonic, and fell in love.

I did it in three weeks. This was the fist time I tried something as big as an engine change, had only don ordinary repair work before. Things that made me succeed:

I had spent almost two years sourcing parts, so I had everything on hand. For example; I did not only buy an electric fuel pump. I also got the fittings, fuel hoses, clamps, fuel lines, electrical connecters and wires before putting everything in a Ziploc bag and stored it.

I followed the JTR manual almost down to the letter.

I worked 10 to 12 hours a day for three weeks. I had one rest day. (Had some problem keeping motivation up in the end.)

Things that took extra time:

I spent almost 2.5 days on tiding up and repainting the engine compartment.

I spent almost 1.5 days repairing rust in the battery area that was worse then I first expected.

I spend 5 days (really!) on fabricating a dual custom exhaust system. I had purchased different bends and strait pipes and made everything from the header back to the muffler including an X-pipe in front of the diff. I am a beginner on welding and was learning as a vent.

(After test-driving I found out it was too loud and had to redo it by installing an extra muffler!)

An alternative had been towing the car to a muffler shop but I had no one I felt I could trust in the area.

Bottom line: It’s doable in your time fram if you preplan and don’t have to spend a lot of time driving around getting parts while you should be working on the car.

Good luck!

Well, thats some good motivation right there man, thanks

I did not think of gettin hose clamps, and extra hoses and stuff, i will add that to the list... Thats some of the little stuff that i should be sure an get extra of

Im impressed that you built your own exhaust, and learnin to weld on exhaust tubin for the first time, thats great.

Sorry to respond so late but yes there is no chance in hell you will have this thing perfect in 3 weeks. I agree that 120 hours is a good round number to get the swap done but that is over a period of time much longer than 3 weeks. I think you can absolutely get the thing on the road and driveable in 3 weeks (I did it in less than 30 hours) but I half-assed a lot of stuff and I have spent well over 120 hours in addition to that making trips to the parts stores and trying to figure out "the details".

I think an excellent goal would be to get the thing dependable and on the road in 3 weeks, that is definitely doable but don't expect it to be perfect.

:rockon: