HybridZ

After driving a 911 and RX7 back to back today, all day. i dunno which one to build!!

Guest ON3GO

whoa.. never post on the V8 forums, never even gone in them lately.. i was like whoa.. haha.

anyways.

today at work it was sorta slow, so i had time to work on my Z and also had the time to drive a FD RX7 Twin Turbo and a 930 911 Porsche Turbo back to back... all day. was the best day yet!

as some of you know i want to build a LS1 powered Porsche, thought it would be fun, and a good car me and my pops can take on the track to better my skill and for him to some how maybe get a little skill in driving.. ahha.

BUT after driving that FD all day i dunno.. that car is amazing, looks soooo sweet, handles like butter, and just feels right.

everything is in the right place, shifter, pedals, seat, gauges, wheel, mirrors, everything!

Porsche... well at 1st i didnt care, its a 930 Turbo... pretty rare car and not the reg porsche we get in everyday. power is amazing.. way faster then the FD rx7 but none of that matters as ill be getting either one without the factory engine (atleast the porsche.. prob the fd will just have a blown rotary...not common i know haha)... and both would be LS1 powered anyways. the handling was out of this world, couldnt believe it was almost as old as my 280Z, and yet feeled better then almost everything.. it felt planted, light (for not that light of a car) and very responsive..

steering felt great but i hated the shifter.. as i hate about any older porsches shifter.. its not the length or throw.. its the location.... makes me feel not comfy. now i dunno how that will be with the T56 so i dunno.

the RX7 would deff be easier to work on with the V8 in it compared to the 930... but then again its a damn 930 so lol.

all in all i think i liked driving the RX7 more.. but the porsche was more fun.. werid? ya but thats how i feel and only way i can describe it.

so i dunno.. FD is more C5 vette'ish so my dad would love that as he is a Z06 owner and vette lover.

Porsche.. well its a porsche and me and him are hugh porsche fans, with and without the boxter engine..

so im caught in the crossroads.. it will be either one.. with the FD being easier and cheaper, but the porsche being more wow factor and just plan cool. BUT the FD would be cool also and both would be fast and fun to drive..

i dunno!!!

Mike

P.S. maybe i should just build both! haha

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BoostedZ350

There's a guy down here in MB rocking his second LS-1 powered FD. His name is Paul. If you want I could give you his email addy and he could maybe help you out with your descision making. I know here one day I am going to just drop the cash to Hinson Supercars and let them do the entire build on an LS-1 powered FD for me. FD all the way if it was my money.

Guest go rilla

i actually thought about the Ls1 into a porsche idea as well, it was an 87' 951 turbo. its been done many times and i cant seem to find the link that does this type of swap. check out rennlist.com they have great info all over the boards on different types of porsches. its funny b/c before the porsche i was looking at the fd as well. i just love the styling of that car with a 99' spec bumper. the only reason i went back on that idea is i am a student so an Ls1 swap wasnt going to happen for awhile if i got the rx7, and i didnt want to have the constant worry of the car going out on me. the porsche seemed like a great idea but it was wayy older but being a porsche driving it stock and doing general maintence is $$$ down the drain. so a 280z came to mind and i instantly remembered being so facinated when i 1st saw it on the "wangan midnight" manga. gluck with whatever you choose but i think the rx7 is better if you felt the most comfy in it. comfort first then all performance is up to you and how far you want to take it.

the LS1 porsche has been done alot, not as common as the FD.

the main shop that did the ls1 porsches is here in texas near dallas.

ill contact the FD rx7 owners and see what they say.

mike

Guest go rilla
why dont you stick an ls1 in the ole blue?

you would have a great looking car that handles well and looks awesome!!

and you will save some money because u already have it!!

he has a point!

ole blue dont need it.. i spent to much money and time on this L28ET to just junk it. its quick enough now, and once the bigger turbo and injectors come it will be a monster...

plus i want to have atleast one L28ET Z....

plus the purpose if this project is to just flat out road race... ole blue is to pretty for that now lol... dont wanna mess it up to much.

mike

MY vote is for the FD. I had my last ride..for a while.. in my V8 FC last night (see my post in non-tech about me having to move.. suddenly) and I can only imagine how much better an FD would be.. newer car, more evolved than the FC and REALLY cool looking.. I mean, the 2nd gens are nice and all, but just don't compare to the 3rd gens..

well to be hoesnt i like FC's more.. i have a 88 Turbo II thats very modded but blown apex seals :(. that project is for a later time, that car i want to keep rotary.

i think there more fun to drive an have very mean and timless look to them.

the FD's are more modern and look very sex!

both are great!

mike

Warning!!! The fallowing post was written by a big headed kid with a biased opinion!!!

Well... The fastest street tuned car challenge BMI had this year was won by a 3 rotor FD. Didn't even have the best power to weight in the field, just had REALLY good suspention and a darn good chassis to start with.

I think the FD is the best chassis mazda has ever produced. It's extremelly light for it's size and era and it's fairly rigid. There's not a whole lot you can do to the chassis itself to make the car light, to attest to it's amazing engineering. So if you want to lighten it up look everywhere else first.

I totally know what you're talking about though, you get into the car and everything seems to be where it should be. It's just a well designed car (unless you're a giant). I think it has just as much potential to be fun as the porsche.

But that's where my opinion becomes totally worthless.... I don't really like porsches and don't know much about them. It's probly becase I've never really liked the looks of them and thus am kinda jealous when I see ones that are fast. If I see a corvette, wich I've never been a huge fan of, and watch it blow the doors off a 500hp stang, I'm inclined to befriend the owner and mention how drooling fast his car is. But if I see a porsche beat a 01' cobra R around sears point, something about it pisses me off and puts me in a bad mood. I can't explain it.

So honesty, just pick wich one will be more fun in the end. Becuase that's what motorsports are about, having fun.

HEY MIKE!!!!

I've also been in MAS280'S RX-7. Very nice and goes like crazy. I almost look at it as an updated version of my LS1-Z. Meaning p/s, a/c and anti-lock brakes and other creature comforts of a newer sports car. If I were and very posible I will do another swap it would be a 93-95 RX-7! The only problem I forsee is, I was talking to Mike Knell and he was running off the production numbers of these cars and from what I remember not a whole lot of them were made. I would like to find one with a blown motor (as you probably). Out here in the bay area they seem to be holding there value. As for road racing, Mike (mas280) has a friend that is using one for road racing. I've seen the car and I'm sure the handling is amazing! I'm sure Mike will chime in on this or P.M. him he can answer all your questions!

JOEY

Even as a lifetime (seems like it :D) 911 owner, I have to admit the FD is an amazing car made even more amazing with LS1 or GN power. My buddies GN-powered fully loaded 93 with a/c, Bose, etc weighs in a 2,790 w/o driver. The LS1 swap should weigh in about the same and be a well-balanced and better driver than the 911 conversion. Only drawback to the FD is the 4.11 final drive. Same problem in the 911 unless you use turbo transaxle. A TT LS1 FD is on my wish list :D

BTW, I thought the rotard's comments were dead-on and honest.

My 1st ls1-fd was alot of fun and it was very fast. It had all of the comforts that my z-cars never did have,ac,ps,pw,pl. A ls1-fd will drive just like a normal car, it does not have that engine swap feel. Handling, braking,looks where all very good on this car. I sold this car to build my new 402 ls2 FD rx7. My new car is almost done and it will make over 500rwhp with a good idle, it will also have ac,ps. I still love my 240z-ls1 but the FD is just a better car all around.

desided on the FD..

right now i have a line on a silver blown motor 93 R1 with only 70K miles on the body.

said its super clean and all for a low low price of 3400 bucks..

its in florida too!

mike

FD is a sweet car...

bull4575jp-img600x450-1126255666amemiya.jpg

But if your wanting one to put a LS1 into it.. your getting the wrong car. What makes the 7 special is the rotary turbo.. Cant get that feeling out of a v8.. go with something else. Theres already alot of redneck tuned rx7s out there that ruin the balance and handling. THe high reving rotary and the sound of the redline buzzer is cool.

Id suggest putting a 20b 3 rotor in if you want something special..

20b.jpg

But if your wanting one to put a LS1 into it.. your getting the wrong car. What makes the 7 special is the rotary turbo.. Cant get that feeling out of a v8.. go with something else. Theres already alot of redneck tuned rx7s out there that ruin the balance and handling. THe high reving rotary and the sound of the redline buzzer is cool.

Id suggest putting a 20b 3 rotor in if you want something special..

Yeah and putting an LS1 in a Z will ruin the handling too I suppose?:twak: