HybridZ

Drove the V8Z for the first time today

I rolled the Z out of the garage today for its first test run. It seems like a long time ago now since it was on the road. I have been battling spiders every time I crawl underneath it to work on her and I can feel the Z project depression setting back in:frown: Anyway, I spent my two off days this week hooking up the homemade exhaust system to the headers for the maiden voyage. At approximately 6:00pm eastern standard time in a little town in northwest Georgia, it happened.

I fired up the engine, shifted the transmission into drive and rolled her out into the sun. The car sounded loud and evil as I taxied down the driveway. I stopped when I reached the road and pondered for a moment. I wondered if I had all the bolts tight that were supposed to be tight and was there any wires that I had forgot to tape or cover, and what about my heat shield in the engine bay, would it work or fail. I lifted my foot off the brake and eased it on the gas. I could hear my low hanging exhaust scrub on the pavement when I left my driveway and entered the street. A little voice inside my head was saying “now take it easy for a while and just cruise the block and bring her back home safely…â€

As I rolled on the throttle, I immediately felt the back of my head slam against the headrest and I smiled:rockon: I never remembered my six cylinder doing that I thought to myself as I lit up the pavement. It was on now, no turning back. I drove the loud beast around my block and did a drive by passed my house so that the wife could enjoy seeing the Z rumble by. (She stayed behind just in case I needed a ride home).

The car is coming along nicely but I still have some bugs to work out such as tuning the carburetor and making sure that the 700R4 is in right. Once that is done, I will go farther and farther away from home until I have total trust in my Z. I have to say that this car is going to be one fast mutha!:eek:

Thanks guys,

Mike the tranny seems to be holding a little long in first gear so I probably do not have the linkage adjusted just right yet. However, I can say with confidence that I will not have any burned plug wires since the install of a simple shield and better fitting spark plug wires:icon54: I also took your advice and moved my wiring harness up and off the front frame rail so that it could be away from the intense exhaust heat. The Taurus fan that I got from a local salvage yard is working great and looks good mounted to the JTR radiator.

I ordered two Thrush mufflers from Jegs and they arrived late yesterday afternoon. I will be putting them on for the time being until I can get it to a muffler shop to have a proper exhaust system put in.

As for doing a video, I would love to but do not know how to get it on the computer. I have a very old video camera.

Good deal Charlie!!

Ya know...I remember the same things going through my mind the first time I pulled the Z out of the driveway

"Take it easy"...."work out the bugs first before getting on it"

Needless to say that all goes out the window as soon as the foot moves from the brake to the loud pedal....my maiden voyage left its mark (in tandem) in the form of 2 x 40' stripes on the street right in front of the house..... :twak::toetap05:

I am so jealous. Your description of thought is most appreciated. I am very close to my first ride and am eagerly awaiting the day. I know the feeling of" Did I check this and that?" from my racing days. It is a very very momentous and heart stressing occasion strapping in after a build, trying to go over everything you touched in your mind before hitting the ignition. But just remember Tom Cruise in Risky Business. "Sometimes you gotta say WTF". And besides WE CREATED THESE MONSTERS AND WE CAN FIX THEM IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEE HAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

first drives are awesome!

i wish i had finished a v8 conversion.

my first z was supposed to be one but never finished it. owned a few turbo z's and i am not making much progress with my v8z.(boo freakin hoo)

but anyhoo,

congrats on the first drive the car looks awesome!

Glad to see you've pushed through and got it on the road after all these years.

Yeah tell me about it, there were plenty of times when I thought about scrapping the whole deal and finding another hobby. Now if I could just have a few days off from work so I could finish her off.

By the way thanks for all the great comments guys, they are much appreciated I can assure you. :)

Needless to say that all goes out the window as soon as the foot moves from the brake to the loud pedal....my maiden voyage left its mark (in tandem) in the form of 2 x 40' stripes on the street right in front of the house..... :twak::toetap05:

Ah yes, it hasn't been long since these words rang true. The horrible thing about the accuracy of the statement is that the engine usually isn't broken in yet when this happens and there could be longterm effects (haven't had any yet that I know of but I'm keeping my fingers crossed).

Guest tony78_280z

:2thumbs::rockon:

Yeah tell me about it, there were plenty of times when I thought about scrapping the whole deal and finding another hobby.

:iagree: I still feel like that :emo: