HybridZ

Rear Quarter Repairs !pics!

MTenneZ

quarter panels are sure fun.. i just got done doing a ford focus that was hit hard in the rear... what fun!!! NOT!

that looks like it came out real nice though! great work!

mike

that very well be what i might have to do to my quarter panels. mine are peices of crap. and my out wheel archs (as i see yours were too) were fiberglassed over by the po for some reason. and the rust could run rampant. if you would like to roll to louisville to help me out that would be awesome, but i bet its not likely =(

Nice job !! Well done

I did 2 zcars last year in the same manner. I see you managed to find a full quarter for the passenger side and an aftermartket one for the drivers. These items are bcoming very rare.

Does anybody know where more of these full quarters exist??? I can only seem to find the small section around the wheel lip

http://www.execulink.com/~jkube/Mainpage_lethalzs.html

Thanks for all the support, as always you guys are a major inspiration. As to some of the guestions:

1. Mig welded (I wish tig)

2. There was a lot of rust in both quarter's nooks and crannies

3. Time wise it's been a project for 2 years this nov. 4th with I don't know

how many hours

4. louisville huh, I would not say it's out of the question but...?

and the previous "repairer" was not scared of the bondo

5. I got that full panel from a guy in Wisconsin who had both sides, a roof

skin and the radiator support. He had the parts on ebay after I bought

mine, I can check to see if he still has the driver side if anyone would like.

I checked with the Nissan dealership about the quarters a while back...yea

$1300.00. Let's just say I paid a whole lot less.

6. Crackhouse = Brent?

• 6 months later...

I will be starting the same project shortly. Or else I may punt and take it to the body shop. I got a complete rear quarter (passenger side) from a "junkyard" last weekend. In quotes b/c it was just some dude's yard with lots of crap cars in it. Paid $50 - panel has some rust spots. Took me 4 hours to pull. And I dented it in the process - minor though, I'm pretty sure I can push it back out.

Anyway, as I was in the woods, I couldn't use my plasma - just the sawzall and grinder. Still, even with the plasma, I am worried about pulling the panel off my car. Any pointers?

Job one is to clean up the donor part. I went wide and deep - took quite a bit of the car along with the panel. I'm going to wire wheel and blast it, then plasma off the extra bits.

I'm especially curious about the wheel well area. Since I have part of this still attached to the donor panel, I will get to learn more about how best to remove panel from well. But does anyone, and MTennez in particular, have any insight into this? Didja just drill out the spot welds?

The special irony of all this is that phase 2 of the body work project will be to flare the fenders, thus cutting up the freshly installed fender.....

i have the short rear drivers side quarter ,like in the top pic, sitting around in my basement. it has the usual nicks and marks from sitting around but is still unused. i could be convinced to sell it. PM me if anyone wants it.

I'm especially curious about the wheel well area. Since I have part of this still attached to the donor panel' date=' I will get to learn more about how best to remove panel from well. But does anyone, and MTennez in particular, have any insight into this? Didja just drill out the spot welds?

[/quote']

Much to by overwhelming joy I did drill out the majority of the spot welds using a spot weld bit, which I would STRONGLY recommend. However it is not imperative that you have one just very helpful. When removing the quarters I cut a lot out with air sheers because I knew that I would be replacing the majority of it anyway. But for the outer wheel well itself (the part behind the quarter) I had to drill out each weld.

I hope that helps you. Let me know if you need anything else and I’ll try my best to help.