HybridZ

has anyone done a turbo z with carbs?

cobraz240z

yes it's been done.. back in the early 70's there was a company named Crown that actually sold a turbo kit for the 240z. It was a blow through system that only used one of the SU carbs. It was claimed to propel a 240z into the high 14's. Pretty fast for back then.

The Crown Package utilized a single DRAWTHROUGH SU and a Corvair E-Flow Turbo (un wastegated) on a stock exhaust manifold with a tubular steel adapter.

Turbo Tom sold a Holley Draw Through setup using a Rajay and an external Wastegate. This could move a ZX through the 1/4 in 11's, and easily in the 13's at low boost levels.

Ultimate on the carb turbos though were the HKS and Cartech blowthrough Triple Mikuini setups. Both made gobs of power (over 450HP+ when set up with the correct carbs and turbos in the HKS's case) Both mimicked the Maserati BiTurbo in function, sans modulator rings.

Long Story Short: DON'T DO IT! Go EFI, and if you must use triple throttle bodies, then do it with EFI. Drivability nad boost transition during light throttle is FAR superior (nay, seamless!) with one EFI.... Don't get me started!

Triple Mikuini Blow Through Turbo 1987-2003 Now Megasquirted!

1966 Corvair Corsa Turbo 1989-Present, working on Megasquirt Blowthrough T/B conversion!

1962 VW Microbus Single Holley Drawthrough (Turbo City Kit) 1981-82, Dual Blowthrough Dellortos with proper Modulator Rings 1982-87---sold for finances and replaced with dual N/A engine. Soon to be Megasquirted Centermount Blowthrough Turbo Again!

I have found several Tripple Weber and SK racing set ups using blow through turbos. Search this web site and the internet and you should find the info you need.

I am in the procees of putting together a supercharged blow through tripple sk racing carb set up.

This has been discussed before. I did a little searching but was unable to come up with anything. I do remember another member mentioning that sand rail dune buggies have been using blow through set-ups for years and have many different emulsion tubes for tuning. There's a good website out there too.

This was posted just a couple days ago. The original triple carb blow through turbo setup: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=104910

If I were going to do it I'd get those throttle bodies that fit on triple manifolds and do it FI.

and the JCR online catalog is still showing that kit as available. I wonder if it really is.

When I first got my 240Z it had a Crown kit, with an external waste gate and a modified SU with two float bowls. The performance was OK, but it was very tempermental, and I could only run around 5psi without detonation. Much faster than a stock 240Z, but no where near as fast as a L28ET in a 240Z. That's what is in there now. Go fuel injection, it's the only way to go.

well-if you put boost down a carb with out boost referencing the float bowls you will push the fuel back into the carbs.that is with carbs downstream from turbo.if the carb is ahead of turbo and has a power valve the power valve has to be hooked to boost.this sounds like reinventing the wheel.a good efi system will make the car a daily driver that starts after sitting in a snow storm.and get good gas mileage like 23+ under normal driving.with out carrying a tool box.

I will try to add some pictures as the project progresses. I am now building the intake pletium to mount on the carbs. It is a piece of 4x4" Aluminum tube stock.

Here is a picture of a trubo tripple set up. I will be abe to add some more picts of other set ups that I found when I get to my other computer in a couple of weeks.

turbotriple3po.th.jpg

zengsk.jpg