HybridZ

Why the L6?

MusPuppis

Ok.. I had a V8 conversion planned for whenever my car is back in one peice and pretty again but the more reading I do.. the more I'm leaning towards an L28ET. The ease of installation and relative cheapness is also a plus. I am also somewhat obsessed with forced induction. When I was 16, before I got my Z I rode in a twin turbo, 9 second daily driven Mustang (god what a car that was..). It left quite an impression. Since that day forced induction has always held a special place in my heart. Gas prices are also very quickly becoming a factor.

Im just curious to hear from you guys.. What led you all the L28 and not a V8/RB/Whatever swap? How do you all think it stacks up against the V8's? Also, how does the engine "feel"? Is it a high-strung, responsive little bastard or "buildup" kinda engine? (hit the gas and it takes a second, but when it goes.. it friggen GOES)?

I dunno.. Still tossing the idea around. I have about a year to a year and a half before I really have to make a decision, lol, so I have some time to sit on it. My goals are simple really, nothing outlandish and record breaking. I would like a mid to high 12 second car putting down about 300rwhp. Not a super budget build by any means but far from special. I see quite a few poeple here running 250+rwhp.

the L28ET is cheaper power for most of us, I got a complete donor for $350, I didn't need to fabricate any engine or trans mounts, and then sold enough parts off the donor car to pay for it! and with potential of over 400 whp from the L6 the v8 swap just seems rather pointless, if your looking for an 11 second or faster car then the v8 might be cheaper but most of us are happy with low 12's, or we build to 11's over time

Guest Dorifto

What led me to the L28 over other engines? I had one in my car, stock.:mrgreen:

As of now, I'm building mine [P79 head, F54 block] with ITBs, and a T3 turbo from a Volvo. I'm going with a custom intake manifold with long-tube runners, as well as a custom tubular exhaust manifold which will relocate the turbo further forward than a stock turbo manifold, and to top it off, a MegasquirtN'Spark system. Even though I'm using essentially an internally-stock N/A engine, I plan on making around 250hp, and this will be in my completely stripped, soon-to-be track-prepped '81 2+2. Good for 12s, I'd say. Once I start toasting rings and headgaskets, I'll build the bottom-end up. My goal isn't top power numbers, instead I'm tuning for a kick-azz powerband with tight response, and lots of TORQUE - something an L6 is very capable of delivering. That's also why I'm designing my intake with long-tube runners.

I think the L28E is a very responsive engine, for being designed in 1975 [and using lots from Nissan's old parts bin]. I'm sure the Turbo version [with P90 or P90A head] is just as spunky. Hopefully with ITBs, and my engine being an N/A already, I'll have great off-boost response, and when the turbo kicks in, hold the hell on! The T3 I plan on using is a very versatile turbo, and works quite well for L28s.

Comparing an L28E to a V8 is like debating whether you want to get smashed with Yaeger or Budweiser - you'll get there either way, just one of them will take less effort. This gets more true the higher you're aiming in your quest for power. You did note you'd be happy with 300whp, and that's a very square number for an L28ET with relatively minor management mods and bolt-ons.

Sorry for my big-azz post, just giving my thoughts for your perusal.

-Dave-O

You had also mentioned the RB swap. A friend of mine has a 240z with a Rb26dett and that is one crazy car. However it is obviously a much more difficult and expensive swap. For the amount of money a RB swap is you can easily build up a L28et to match the RB and have change to spare (assuming you don't add anything to the RB) However if you want to push it 4, 5 or 600+ HP then the RB would definatly be the way to go. Of course if you wanna build up a RB engine then you'd better have deep pockets.

Oh, just saw Evil was in KY. Im down in Lexington.

hey I didn't notice you location :) there was another guy from lex working on the L28ET swap but I havn't seen him post up in a while maybe he changed his mind? I'm headed for bowlingreen tomorrow to get a new timeslip with the I/C and a couple more psi of boost if I can get the MS maps worked out, if I can get it turned right should be able to get sub 12.5's on the 183k L28ET with Stock turbo, that or I'll blow it up :)

For me, I more or less have always liked the L engine, I had a 72 in high school with an L-28, cam, header and 40 DCOE webers, and it was great, I even drove it years later to my wedding. over the years I have owned nine S30's, including a 78 with a small block Chevy.

I built my current car just for kicks, tripling the output of any engine, and having it hold up and be reliable interests me. I even drove it daily for a few years...

bottom line, weigh your options, and don't get fooled into thinking the L engine is ANY cheaper or easier to get power out of than nearly any other engine, just because it "bolts right in" because it's certainly not cheap, high perf parts are EXPENSIVE, although the cheapest engine to build for power ever conceived is without doubt the small block Chevrolet, and some swaps look like thats how datsun should have done it, although, like anything, I have seen V8 cars look like refugees from the salvage yard too. there are V8 cars out there that run like crap, and are likely not much quicker than a stock Z, all the way up to tubbed drag cars that launch with enough force to break your neck and everything in between, it all depends on your goals.

do it because YOU like it, screw what anybody else thinks about your car, but if you build a nice one, I bet you'll find like minded folks right here!

good luck... you've already found by far THE BEST site for z-car performance.. and likely nothing you could dream up could faze alot of the gearheads here.

I retained the L28 for originality within the brand and turbo's more of a engineering challenge. My bud had a V8 Z and it never pulled like mine when on the boost. I get 300 RWHP at 11 psi and 410 at 18 and 435 at 21 psi. The bottom end of the L28 consistes of 7 deep webbed main brgs, very strong, but don't try to spin it over 7K RPM on a regular basis. Easy to upgrade, start modest and build from there in steps. The stock L28ET is gud for 270 HP with intercooler. Need custom EFI and forged pistons with o-ring over 15 psi or so.

good luck... you've already found by far THE BEST site for z-car performance.. and likely nothing you could dream up could faze alot of the gearheads here.

Thanks. And I most certainly have. I didnt know this site existed. I got the call saying I was getting my Z back and was on the computer forum searching as soon as my screaming fit subsided. (it was a solid 8 or 9 minutes of "HELL YES! F--- YES! I WIN GOD DAMNIT" etc). I found this site after about an hour of google searches and site checking.

This is without a doubt the single most knowledgable forum I have ever come across. Ive owned several cars, an 88 CRX SI, my Z, 92 Lumina Euro (one of my favs.. they are actually really nice.), 73 Catalina (R.I.P), 92 Toyota Paseo (engine swapped and it was still slow, HA!), 94 F-150 (current DD) and now back to Z. NONE of the communitys for any of the vehicles could hold a candle to this one in terms of knowledge, willingness to share that knowledge and over-all experience and ability.

and likely nothing you could dream up could faze alot of the gearheads here.

Yet not ONE responce in my MAWD proposal thred....

To give credit to the members, it's probly not the idea that keeps people from posting, but just the insanity and pointlessness of it.

Kentucky Z's? I know there is at least ONE yellow 280Z with an L28ET prowling around Lexington, on the south side of town off "Circle4" if I recall.

Guys name is Wayne. I stopped by his place when I was doing a job over in Huntington WV and had a day to kill.

So there are three in Lexington. Like Musketeers!

My vote for L28ET swaps is simply because I have 5 engines in my sea container, so putting htem in something is easier than getting a V8 lums from something else....

Though finding a wrecked, complete Q45 or Titan might HEAVILY sway my choice of mill for the next project car. High-Tech V-8's are cool, a 1957 era 350 fits better in a Vega. Been there done that.

Now a Titan motor in a 67 Camaro....THAT would be a swap to consider! Debut at Super Chevy Sunday...

In all honesty, the difference between a well executed V8 swap and a well executed turbo L6 swap is quite minimal for power, drivability, speed, costs, etc. They are both simply excellent options for the early Z, and you'll have a tough time deciding "which is better" because they are both great. Just go with your own preference, and do the swap work to a high level, and you will be happy with the results.

Guest Z Draci

I chose the L28ET because it is the cheapest dollar-for-power engine swap available for S30 chassis Z's. It also retains that vintage L-series for simple nostalgia--if you even care about that!

You can get a perfectly streetable L28ET developing the same power as a big bore stroker L-series. I've read on these forums of people who set up a Megasquirt system to get them AMAZING fuel mileage.

The L28ET is by far the simplest and best value you can get for the S30.