HybridZ

Pinks

jbc3

I thought this was going to be a post about Pink's the hotdog/burger stand... damn :D

that place is awesome' date=' by the way. Pure heart attack food... the best kind.

Anyone eat at the one in Hollywood?[/quote']

I do and we need to hang out once i unwad my car, I fear She might be dead tho..... I live over in simi kinda.....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bastaad525

yeah you're not far from me :D I know a couple other local Z guys as well. my work schedule sucks butt though... work nights AND weekends, so kinda hard for me to ever hang out with anyone :(

meh i am up at 6am and i have been talking to you since atleast 1am as you can see I am a night freak.... I wanted to start a Fridat 2am Z club meet at Denny's in the Valley some where... Laugh at the civic kiddies as they leave b/c thier mommys told them to come home..... XD

Meh rough math and fuzz memories I belive a 2000 lb car dose a 9 sec 1/4 with 550 horse..... and I think a Cobra that was built right weights like 1700 lbs......

Okay i just checked a FACTORY 67 Shely 427 AC Cobra is 2450... and I am sure that was with a steel frame.... give me a Alum. frame and some of the more modern things like a 351 Instead of a 427 (427 is 150 lbs on a 351) and a I know that 500 horse Cobra is running 9 flat. hell give me a AC289 those are like 2150 lbs with that silly steel frame.....

Scottie is not speaking of speculation as you are. He had a roughly 2klb 240Z running 10.08 in the 1/4 with a 1.36 60ft and what like 550 rwhp Scottie? So until you have, or see a 500 rwhp cobra run 9 flat in the 1/4 your just guessing.

Now back to the Topic at hand.. Please let us know the exact date it will air when you can. I would like to see this episode.. Any idea in what that SC trans am runs in the 1/4? Looks mean!!.. I am with Yasin.. seems that speed should give something to the people that are racing.. I mean if it wasnt for them speed wouldnt even have a show..

Scottie is not speaking of speculation as you are. He had a roughly 2klb 240Z running 10.08 in the 1/4 with a 1.34 60ft and what like 550 rwhp Scottie? So until you have' date=' or see a 500 rwhp cobra run 9 flat in the 1/4 your just guessing.

Now back to the Topic at hand.. Please let us know the exact date it will air when you can. I would like to see this episode.. Any idea in what that SC trans am runs in the 1/4? Looks mean!!.. I am with Yasin.. seems that speed should give something to the people that are racing.. I mean if it wasnt for them speed wouldnt even have a show..[/quote']

Meh at 2k lbs he ought to be in the mid-high 9s time could be lost b/c of gearing not beitng optimal, improper tires ( oha i learned a trick too about effective gearing and tires this week Instead of chaing gearing change tire Size) umm could be in the driver too Improper shifts, short later or what ever, thats why for a drag car I'd run a 700-r4 with a huge stall converter line locks and a transbreak...... and yes I've seen 1900 lb 500ish lb cars run 9 flat, Seen a VW do a 1/4 at 8 something with 3/4 of the run with the wheely bar eating track, my Girlfriends dad runs a Engine rebuild shop, he takes alot of pride in his engines so we are at the track almost every week with him....meh I've seen a Umm 200 horse Go-kart beat the PISS OUT of a Viper...

Nothing like pure smack in the Morning, eh... I'm suprised somebody doesn't jump all over this.

The topic at hand, Really, I have to agree with yashin, I wouldn't put up my car or my boys car for a show. In the old days, there was always talk about racing for pink slips, never saw it, talking smack like always. The only time I have ever lost was to a AWD DSM when I was on BFG TA's, when I changed to slicks, I bested him by .4 seconds. I even raced an NSX for topend and whupped some bootie in that lead sled monte SS. Street racing used to be alot safer since there were alot less cars on the road, nowadays you can be out at 4AM and see tons of folks going somewhere.

There is no question that this show brings out alot of opinions about what should be won or lost or who lied etc...

The show is supposed to air in February as the premier show of next season. No guarantees, but that is what we were told. I am sure that one of my buddies will be putting it on disk, so I hope to have a copy at some point. The TA ran 10.06 before the upgrades for the show, bigger cam and more boost and alchohol injection. It's probably able to run mid 9's or lower.

396 LT4, 20+ lbs of boost, 100HP shot of nitrous, and alchohol injection. It's a fun ride off the trans brake :)

Jody

Meh at 2k lbs he ought to be in the mid-high 9s time could be lost b/c of gearing not beitng optimal, improper tires ( oha i learned a trick too about effective gearing and tires this week Instead of chaing gearing change tire Size) umm could be in the driver too Improper shifts, short later or what ever, thats why for a drag car I'd run a 700-r4 with a huge stall converter line locks and a transbreak...... and yes I've seen 1900 lb 500ish lb cars run 9 flat, Seen a VW do a 1/4 at 8 something with 3/4 of the run with the wheely bar eating track, my Girlfriends dad runs a Engine rebuild shop, he takes alot of pride in his engines so we are at the track almost every week with him....meh I've seen a Umm 200 horse Go-kart beat the PISS OUT of a Viper...

I will have to let Scottie Chime in on his set up and driving abilites.. As for seeing him with my own eyes and the way the car leaves.. heh 1.36 60ft 10.08 @136 in the 1/4. It is just pure awesome. I am 100% sure he would school us both in the drag racing , setups and engeneering of a automobile.

As far as the trans AM.. that sounds awesome! cannot wait to see the show !

240ZR, your numbers aren't working, 'meh... As comparison, my 74 260Z weighed in at around 2580# without me in it, and ran 10:98s on BFG DRs at 129mph with a 500-ish HP 383stroker. Talkin' a lot of smack about cars you don't own or have experience driving is, well... 'Meh! :lmao:

Jody, that is friggin' awesome... I especially love this because my 18 year old (The youngest) just moved in with his daddy after daddy bought him a... 94 civic hatch with a B16/T3-4 turbo swap... We're waiting for the thing to blow up, as it is a clapped together pile... Wish I'd have known that was going down. I'd have made the drive up to spectate.

As to how Pinks is done, I think it is pretty reflective of the BS that goes on in real street racing, minus the guns and fights and attitudes.

BTW, I'm setting up a time with Jeff Creech to tune the Vette next week and do some final dyno runs.

Mike

240ZR, your numbers aren't working, 'meh... As comparison, my 74 260Z weighed in at around 2580# without me in it, and ran 10:98s on BFG DRs at 129mph with a 500-ish HP 383stroker. Talkin' a lot of smack about cars you don't own or have experience driving is, well... 'Meh!

Something is wrong with that

Using the ET method, I get like 385 horsepower using the Speed method, I get around 432 horsepower....... bah I know the math for ET, other then that its all on the , Tires, Drive, Gearing and Track conditions.....

hp = weight / (ET / 5.825)3

hp = weight * (speed / 234)3

I don't know about you guys, but i've never seen anyone give anyone lengths at a street race...........

All street racing i've seen has been 100% heads up. You might get to see your opposition run against someone else, but there isn't any "test" or "practice" runs.

My morals...I could never take the loser's car.

I sure could.

Something folks seem to be missing here is it being the car owners choice. If Speed asked poeple to come out for a competition then sprung this on them thats one thing, but poeple go into this knowing full and well what their doing. Their putting their vehicle on the line against someone elses. No ones putting a gun to their head, no ones making them do anything. If they wanna gamble, let em. And ya better beleive, If I win, I'm taking their car.

I'd take the car, pull the fuel door off, sign it, and give it to the guy that used to own the car, lol.

Another thing.. I dont think Speed should have to pay anyone anything. As stated, advertising. Poeple go to this (a fair portion of them anyway) to show what their shop is capable of doing and to show off and advertise. Speed gives them a forum in which to show a very very large audience what they've accomplished.

Even if they lose, their shop gets the prestige of having been seen on national television.

Also, that Honda. Looks slapped together to me. They probably spent some money on it, no doubt, but I dont think it was any serious investment. Most likely it was put together (and taken apart some since its a shell, lol) just for this show. Looks to me like its all engine and little/nothing else.

Ive never seen anyone race for pinks either.. Its one of those urban myth type things. Ive seen alot of street racing, which I try now to avoid. Its fun and I did have a blast doing it but the risk to others is too high for me. Im a firm beleiver in self destruction. If you want to put your *** in danger, go right ahead. I dont mind putting my own in harms way for a little fun, but when the danger has a chance to spill over onto those poeple not involved - thats where I draw the line. Street racing is really fun but the potential to hurt innocent folks just cruising by is too high for me.

I had a friend some time ago named Tim who had an early 80's Trans-Am. Had the usual bolt on stuff done, nothing special. Fun car though. He was racing a guy in a Mustang and lost control. The wreck sent the car into the oncoming lane where a minivan *barely* avoided being smashed into. The car eventually flipped and smashed through the front office of two buildings on the far side of the road. Had it not been a weekend poeple would have been in those buildings. Basicly, one guys mistake could have killed 3 or 4 other poeple. Thankfully Tim was a little beat up but not seriously harmed. God only knows how he managed it, but he walked away. The car was in two peices.

Well, if you never seen anyone given car lengths, then you haven't been street racing much, thank god I guess, means your keeping the streets safe. In the 60's and '70s, even the early '80's, South Eubank in Alb NM was host to some wicked street drags. Most is heads up, but the grudge match with a lessor car would often include car lengths.

That is a bad TA that is for sure! Would love to see that in action against my boy's z. Wanna go Pinks? Ha ha JK.

Well, i was never one for "show races" like the oakland roadshow (i know a guy that was one of the main starters, lives down the street) and I was also never a fan of the real uptight SF races where everyone who shows up is a 9-11 sec car. That's just too agreesive for me to trust the other driver. I was more into the low key get togethers where betting wasn't done as much as it was.

Problem is that crowd changed alot come fast n' furious era... I havn't been back to the street since.

Mike,

Jeff will give you the details and be sure to take a look at the bumper on his wall :) Have him give you one of the T-shirts we all wore at the race.

Street racing is one of the most twisted trickery I have ever seen. There are teams of people that will "perform" races to sucker someone into a high dollar race. I have seen this first hand and I am talking about incidents that occured over 25 years ago. (used to be $25 to $50, now it's $500 to $1000 and up for some races) There are a couple of places close to my house that are still used on a regular basis.

The thing that I am worried about is the local track is probably closing this year. The owner has a buyer for the property and has announced the closing. There is a small possibility (rumor) that the new owner may run the track for a couple of years before the homes are built. I think it is doubtful. The other tracks around are both far away and crowded already, so the street racing around here is growing. It is very sad. The closing track is not the track that Pinks was filmed, that track is 95 miles from my house and it takes ~2 to 2 1/2 hrs to get to.

Jody

It's only trickery if your on the receiving end. That's the way we suckered the out of town guys in for $$$$ and a buttwhoopin! I never raced for less than $100 back in the day just to make sure they were serious. Most I've ever won was $400 off two black guys in a porche 911.

That sucks about the track, Alb. National is going the same way. I offered to design the new track, plans and spec's for $25K and they turned me down, cause the new land commissioner opened up the old track for another 5 years. I did a traffic and pedestrian control plan for the existing track and never got paid either.

Roswell, went tits up as well, El paso is rough with little track prep and hardly any races. Desert Demonz is a street venue at an airstrip with 10 second cars being about the fastest thing they see and they have wrecks as well.

Something is wrong with that

Using the ET method' date=' I get like [b']385[/b] horsepower using the Speed method, I get around 432 horsepower....... bah I know the math for ET, other then that its all on the , Tires, Drive, Gearing and Track conditions.....

hp = weight / (ET / 5.825)3

hp = weight * (speed / 234)3

Which method calculates area under the curve? Or are you both running very kick *** CVT's??????????? meh :)

Also btw, this means the honda and the trans am are famous after the showing.... Sell them like they are PIMP MY RIDE vehicles! ebay it up

Jody's right... I lost 4 $25 dollar races one night in 1992 only to win $500 off this guy we had targeted. Sucker'd him into 5 carlengths! :lmao: It can be like shooting fish in a barrel, or having the trick turned on you instead! :shock:

Mike :cool: