HybridZ

Why isn't Nissan making this?!

Gollum

Ok, BMW is showing the new Z4 coupe that should hit floors mid-06. It's dead sexy in my opinion and I think it looks 100 times more like a S30 Z than the new 350Z. Why can't nissan make a REAL take back car? Ford can do it with the mustang, why can't nissan do it with the Z?

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/frankfurt/0509_bmw_z4_coupe/

uh... so bmw is producing a coupe that makes less hp and torque than a 350z, weighs the same, and has similar performance to the 350z...and you're wondering why nissan doesn't produce anything like it?

Those Z4 coupes are fugly. But you know what they say about opinions...

Have to agree that BMW built a perfect retro Z. Long nose, short rear, sloping rear deck. Something about the hood line that reminds me of a G nose Z. Even in line 6. I like it.

BMW says the Z4 weighs in around 3000#. the 350Z is listed at 3400#.

But go on the BMW site and compare the Z4 to the M3. The M3 has a 3.2L 6 that cranks 333 HP into a LSD rear. The Z4 is a 3.0L 6 with only 225 HP and an open diff. Put the M3 engine in it and a LSD and that car would be a world beater.

Now if I just had a spare $50K laying around.

Guest grimlynsan

It does look like what the 350z should look like.

Its interesting that the s30 has German influenced design origins and now BMW (looks like) it is being influenced by the S30!

Well albert goertz (sp?) the was the designer of the BMW 507 as well as the 240z, so it is kind of a long time design thing. Anyway I don't think the power plant is that impressive compared to the 3.2L 334hp (360hp in europe) M3's power plant. Plus I think that a Z car should be lighter then either of these offerings and look more like the original. I don't like the back of the BMW or the 350z, the fronts are equally untrue to form.

i dunno guys.. have you seen a nicely done mild 350Z? its pretty damn awesome looking. the G35 coupe is also great looking.

newer BMW's are just fugly!

mike

I like the G35, but only the coupe with the areo (sp?) package. I kinda like the 350Z, but can't really see myself in it. It just doesn't fit.

But I do agree that both those cars are a bit heavy. Mazda proved you can still make a light car with the new miata. So I'm waiting to see some other super light cars.

ever drive a 350Z? and i dont mean like to the bank or something... like REALLY drive it.

its a awesome car that performs beautifuly.

yes.. it doesnt feel like a 240Z or 280Z at the track, but the stock S30 Z's arent the best cars out there at all, and is really old news compared to really ANYTHING that is new. the 350Z feels powerful, torquey, and most importantly fun around a track.

im a fan.. go drive one and you will be too.

I loooove it, but i have a thing for hatches. Ive always loved the mgb-gts, m coupes, and the like. There is just something sexxy about them. Thats just me.

I am a fan of smoother lines but i do think that the z4 coupe looks great. I HATE the new 3 series though. And i hope they have thightened up the z4's, i drove a z4 3.0L 6spd at a autocross course at the BMW factory in Greer SC when i was 16 lol. I thought it sloooooppppyyyy, bad over all feel sloppy shifter and soft suspension.