HybridZ

Don't like the new GT-R? How 'bout a 450Z

BayAreaZT

Guest Battle Pope

if they made it a V8 they'd better tune it past the current mediocre 325 horses. The VQ35 is making almost that much already :P

I'd need to see at least 400hp n/a with at least a 5-speed transmission to be impressed.

I can't say I agree with it looking like a Crossfire but it sure does look a lot like a Z32. I too would much rather see a V8 in a Z. Something to compete with the the GTO and dare I say Mustang(even though the Mustang is only putting out like 300HP).

Guy

Yea, but everyone knows the only real pony cars on the road are the SVT badged ones 8)

I'd like to see a small V8 in Z as an option. I think they'd still need a V6 option to keep the price down. Maybe they should just make a good turbo system option.

if they made it a V8 they'd better tune it past the current mediocre 325 horses. The VQ35 is making almost that much already :P

I'd need to see at least 400hp n/a with at least a 5-speed transmission to be impressed.

According to the article it will have a 4.5L V8 good for about 430hp, 6-speed tranny with AWD.

I don't know if there is any truth to this but with the GT-R coming in 2007, this Z would have to be priced in the sub 45K range.

good it needs a v8 for that girth. Sounds too good though unlees the new GTR really isn't a skyline, because this with AWD and 430hp is too close to skyline territory and in the past the Z was always a step behind, and never with AWD. Either the GTR is going to be super or the 450z is going to replace the skyline gtr as the best.

If they're going to put in an 8 it should be a straight 8. imho

omg no, i hope thats a joke! And ya a turbo v6 would be nice, but then there is lag and it is already kind of strung. Would be nice to start with a clean N/A slate and then let people wanting more then 430 horse customize it themself.

I dont hate V6's but I would rather have a V8 anyday of the week. Ever try modifing a V6 OHC/DOHC engine? Gets expensive real quick, thats why I would rather see a CIB(cam in block/push rod motor) motor. Much less expensive to mod and its reliable at 400HP. Once you get above the 1:1 ratio of HP/CID you start to get less reliable. I know Nissan will never go back to a push rod motor from the new OHC engines but it sure would be cool!

Or if Nissan and Chevy combined to build the "450Z". Kind of like how Dodge and Mitsu combined to make the Ecliplse aka....Dodge Stratus. Could you imagine a new Z with a SBC LS2! Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! :-)

Guy

I dont hate V6's but I would rather have a V8 anyday of the week. Ever try modifing a V6 OHC/DOHC engine? Gets expensive real quick' date=' thats why I would rather see a CIB(cam in block/push rod motor) motor. Much less expensive to mod and its reliable at 400HP. Once you get above the 1:1 ratio of HP/CID you start to get less reliable. I know Nissan will never go back to a push rod motor from the new OHC engines but it sure would be cool!

Or if Nissan and Chevy combined to build the "450Z". Kind of like how Dodge and Mitsu combined to make the Ecliplse aka....Dodge Stratus. Could you imagine a new Z with a SBC LS2! Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! :-)

Guy[/quote']

I don't like the cam in block idea in this day and age. I would prefer a high revving dohc motor with better camshafts then the titan/m45!

^ WORD! Although pushrod motors are nice and easy to work on DOHC motors have advantaged for sure.

Reliable high HP pushrod motors are few and far between (most being chevy as they've refused to let the pushrod die) and there are many DOHC V8 motos that can make 500hp on low octane if they have to. They usually rev smoother and higher as well. Bottom of block is usually stronger. Getting rid of pushrods themselves eases my mind alot.

Now, I love some of the pushrod motors. But I new cars need to push new technology. That's just me.

^ WORD! Although pushrod motors are nice and easy to work on DOHC motors have advantaged for sure.

Reliable high HP pushrod motors are few and far between (most being chevy as they've refused to let the pushrod die) and there are many DOHC V8 motos that can make 500hp on low octane if they have to. They usually rev smoother and higher as well. Bottom of block is usually stronger. Getting rid of pushrods themselves eases my mind alot.

Now' date=' I love some of the pushrod motors. But I new cars need to push new technology. That's just me.[/quote']

i wouldnt say they are few and far between at all b/c of the mustang crowd, but ya it is definatly dying out. THere are some advantages, like light weight and compactness, but the smooth high revving dohcs with vvt-i or whatever your company of choice calls it, are in my opinion silky smooth yet robust. More refined feel.

I don't understand why so many people are agianst the V6. It's got potential.

But regardless they're not going to get much more than 400hp out of it stock (at least in the US) due to regulations.

the V6 is the worst possible platform to turbo, because of their design and the amount of heat they produce.