HybridZ

New RB25 Dyno Numbers

J Taylor

Went to the dyno today to see what kinda of numbers it would lay down before I put in the th350 tranny. Last time I went it made 422 rwhp and 330 ft lbs at 17-18 psi. Today it made 489 rwhp and 366 ft lbs at 20 psi on 93 octane. A/F was around 11.5 to 11.8. I was hoping for 500 today but 489 is close enough. Actually, uncorrected it made 499. :) Also found out that there needed to be a restrictor in the vacuum line going to the MAP sensor. On the SDS readout the boost level was jumping all around from 15-22 psi at full boost. I talked to Barry at SDS and he said to put a .030 welding tip inline and it should fix it. We dug up like a .035 and it fixed the problem and also picked up like 8-10hp on the next pull. All in all, I'm happy for being a pump gas pull. Should be well over 500 with some good gas and more boost.

I have a video of it taken with my digital camera but it's like 14 megs. Kinda big to post seems like.

JT

Ed: The motor itself is completely stock down to the headgasket. Look in my album for some pics of whats done to it.

ZGAD: I'm curious myself. Thats why I wanted a dyno pull before and after. Can't wait till the next SEZ.

V8dats: Thanks man.

JT

I went with a powerglide. it should be as or more effiecient then a 5 speed. Or so im told. it will also be lighter.

Good numbers there JT. You are very close to bottem ends limits be careful. a bad batch of gas could be its demise :<

Hah thats funny, 489hp is the exact same number that other friend of thagard's made with his stock block rb25. Wonder if motor will go boom at 499 :-). With the Big turbo and custom heaer/manifold on your motor, do you think it that power comes at a better price than doing an rb26? If i'm correct, an rb26 needs only rebuilt turbos and injectors to make that power as well the upfront cost plus tranny being higher. What's your opinion J?

BTW awesome numbers!

Kenny: This is the turbo I'm running:

http://www.speedshopthagard.com/garrett/T4TO4R.html

violacleff: The other guy actually made 586 but on race gas and ~23 psi from what I understand. Far as I know his is still holding together with the stock stuff. I think if I had it to do over again I'd do the rb26 over the 25. As much money as I've invested in the car, what's another couple grand to have a stronger, more capable motor to start with? But, can't really throw rocks at the 25 either.

JT

Guest JAMIE T

Man, those are awesome numbers! Way to go! I've been debating going with an automatic in mine also. It's a hard sell for me though since I'd need about 5K rpm stall converter.

Nice numbers! I guess you found a few more horsies after we spoke. A bit of further tweeking and 500hp@wheels is doable. I think the current tune, auto tranny and 75shot of nitrous would make for ~140mph in the 1/4. BTW, you know you need a driveshaft for the new setup?

I have that same turbo on my L - only mine has a stage 5 T3 turbine - The "Super 6" on James' site. I like it. I'm making more than 425 rwhp. You will probably need an upgraded turbo cam to fully utilise that big compressor on the L-motor.

JT, I'm jealous of those numbers. My dinosaur is maxed out, while you are just getting into the sweet spot.