HybridZ

How do you lighten the doors on a '72 Z

Al Keller

When you say a carbon fiber hatch can save you 35lbs are you talking about both of the oem and the carbon fiber hatch with regular glass, or the stock one with regular glass and the carbon fiber one with lexan?

CF one with lexan.

• 1 month later...
Guest aryanramsey

ok this is a little of topic but searched and couldnt find an answer,ok on my 74 the crank handle stripped off the little grooves off the door..i guess you would call "stub" so i drilled a small hole through the actual handle and the stub and put a pin through it problem is window got jammed so i pulled to hard and it broke the "stub" off. now i am in louisiana and a z is almost impossible to find around here,none what so ever in junk yards so i cant rob parts,i would like power windows any suggestions?i read somewhere on here about modifying a 300 would there an easier alternative.

thanks

ramsey

I decided to take a few pictures of my doors so I could post them on this thread...

showphoto.php?photo=5319&cat=500&page=1 this is the door with the holes in it.

showphoto.php?photo=5320&cat=500&page=1 and this is the door without holes in it.

showphoto.php?photo=5320&cat=500&page=1 this is a complete shot of the door with holes in it.

All those holes only shaved 1 pound off the weight of the door.

Dragonfly

I can guesstimate that the 280Z door weighs about 20 or 25 lbs more than the early Z door.

I've never had to lift them so I can't guesstimate but it's very obvious from just swinging the doors shut that the doors on a guy a works' 280 are MUCH heavier than the one's in my '72 240. It doesn't take much poking around to see why the 280s are heavier than the 240s.

Cameron

Can't resist a 'simple' answer to the original question.

Go beserk with a hole saw, even the bottom and sides. Just maintain some integrity around the latch and hinges area, could even use a hole flaring tool to add some strength around the holes.