HybridZ

Ole Blue Z wont be getting done for awhile now.. so upset!

Guest ON3GO

well... im in a bad bad mood.

for those that dont know.. i forgot to copper spray my headgasket on my L28ET.. so i figured i better do it now then later.

so i tried to do it without taking the head off.... didnt happen.

so off came the head with exhaust manifold and intake manifold and turbo on... wow... heavy!

so now im pissed cuz i have the get new gaskets (all new ones on there already), i ripped my new oil pan gasket taking off teh front cover!!!!

so now im pissed cuz i gotta re time everything and bolts are gonna be missing, and etc.

plus it doesnt help that ive been at work all day and its 10pm at night and i should have been home 6 hours ago.

..wow was i all wrong......

pulled the head, headgasket off... wow... i have metal shavings in ALL my cylinders!!! wtf!

check my intake manifold.. clean.. must be in the head.

so now i gotta take apart the 100% fresh head and look for shavings.. wtf!!

im so pissed.

i dunno what to do about the shavings in the cylinder/ontop of the pistons.

theres alot and many between the piston and walls.. IM SO PISSED!

i was so close to being done, and i can drive this damn crap box again.. been 8 months!!!

between this car and the green Z i havent driven a Z in a collected time of over 3 years!

if i dont sell this car im just not gonna work on it for awhile....

unless i get the bug again and wanna start working on it.

im just burnt out on working on cars..

rant over

mike

ya i was hard at work on it.. now im just pissed and dont even wanna work or see it.

i just have the worse luck with this L28ET motor.. never ending!

i might just do a LS1 swap to this car....... and i really dont want to do that.

no offence... i love the V8 swap.. i just like the L28... its nice to build something that people dont think can make power. plus i planned on doing another Z for the LS2 swap i wanna do.

i need a beer.

i cant really come back to it in a day or 2...

for me theres no break on working on a car... its what i do for a living.

i have 3 MR2 turbo swaps, one MR2 engine build, 2 SR20DET swaps in 240sx's, a SR20DET swap and build in a S12 200sx, and a Toyota AE86 engine build (turbo) and swap and etc on that damn car.

all besides the S12 and AE86 needs to be done by the months end.. and most of the MR2's done by the next 2 weeks.

plus it SUCKS seeing my Z just sitting there at work while im working on other cars.. no fun at all.

plus its no fun that i work and go to school everyday of the week :(

day starts at 4:30am and ends at 12:45am.. piff :(

mike

Guest 73Turbo240z

1st order of buisness... what are the options...

So far just kicking ideas around...

1. compressed air and some type of fluid in the cylinders, rotate the motor upside down and have someone crank the motor by hand while blowing compressed air to try and clean the area...

2. vacuum, high pressure, use a shaped tip w/ a high volume/pressure vacuum and go along each cyl to remove shavings.

3. magnatism... mike said whatever is in there is aluminum he thinks, a quick search online yields that aluminum can be magnatized under the right circumstances, but i couldn't find what it took to do so...

4. final option, and the last resort, drop the pan, and pull each rod to clean the cyl walls and ringlands, then go rent a ring compressor and re-install each of them....

any ideas i'm missing?

Guest 73Turbo240z

only if you let me pick it over for useful parts 1st...

cars are frustrating, i'm sure we'll figure somthing out, theres to many Z's nearing completion in Houston to give up now... i'm sure you can imagine the rumors and ruckus that will ensue when all 3 of us are running and arrive at meets.

hell... if nothing else... stay in the fight for the classic car meet... you know damn good and well we owe them another visit to there biased asses.

i have a idea..

blow the damn car up and drink a beer while watching it burn to hell!

mike

I've got the gasoline and matches:twisted: . Nah sorry to hear about this mike. I guess that explains the low compression numbers we got awhile back. I'm not a block expert but could the metal shaving be the pistion rings? If not then it can only be turbo or valve train. Maybe you should just get a junkyard turbo block and pop it in there intill you do something with this block. Good luck

Hmmm...I think Mike needs a lap dance, or a good long week off.

I 100% agree that it is a good idea NOT to think about the car while feeling bad about it. The same reason why I don't think about future or life when I am down. On a good day, everything is fine. On a bad day it's the opposite.

Mike have you traced where the shavings might have came from? Is it possible there was some shaving hidden in the intake/turbo that got "glued" together by oil/grease and then became dislodged after you run air and fuel in the intake tracks? Any shavings in the oil?

i havent ran the motor yet so no oil or fuel or anything is in the engine.

im gonna try the vacuum idea and see if that helps.

pop some ATF in there and see what it does.

my dad wants me to sell it, he thinks i dont need this stress right now.. haha.

i dunno yet...

i slept in and didnt go to school today, sorta helped.

but have work in 2 hours :(

mike

well that sucks Mike...dont give up just yet..

pull the motor and vacuum it out, turn it over on the stand and blow compressed air through it, while turning the crank. clean out your intake manifold, intercooler, pipes, and turbo...

if you don't feel like messing with it anymore give me a call if your seriously thinking about selling it....

Ah curse of the built L28et. Yes I too have not driven my z in over 2 years since my swap for one reason or another. Car is currently at the shop where noone can figure out what is making the clink clink noise, and I'm starting to think that my car is done for and I wasted 10k that could've went towards a decent running car. Anyway's sorry to hear about that.

Honestly, I say sell it and put the money into the hulk. You'll still be happy about your car, and someone will be very happy with ole blue. Lets just hope they don't V8 it. OOps just thinking out loud :-)

Mike, sorry I hear. I think we all get burnt out every once in a while. Im surprised you dont more often with all the thing you do. Im with EvilRufusKay here though, its suck a big one but at least you did try and start the thing up then it could have been very bad

Just quit for a week and do other things thats what I do, I just about junked my car but the spark comes back. If it doesnt, hell, burn it but make sure you get it on video tape!

Perhaps some shavings were caught inside one of the intake or exhaust ports where there was a closed vavle, did you blow/vaccum them out before you assymbled?

If your gonna sell it grab a junk block and throw the thing together, youll have the satisfaction of finishing it and get more money in your pocket for all your other projects..

Good Luck

-Austin

p.s. id treat ya to a cold one if i was old enough lol.

Guest 73Turbo240z
Ah curse of the built L28et. Yes I too have not driven my z in over 2 years since my swap for one reason or another. Car is currently at the shop where noone can figure out what is making the clink clink noise' date=' and I'm starting to think that my car is done for and I wasted 10k that could've went towards a decent running car. Anyway's sorry to hear about that.

Honestly, I say sell it and put the money into the hulk. You'll still be happy about your car, and someone will be very happy with ole blue. Lets just hope they don't V8 it. OOps just thinking out loud :-)[/quote']

blue is a stock rebuild... nothing special.

i told him its a sign to get a junkyard turbo engine to put around w/, and tear this one back down to put some truely good stuff in.

Mike' date=' sorry I hear. I think we all get burnt out every once in a while. Im surprised you dont more often with all the thing you do. Im with EvilRufusKay here though, its suck a big one but at least you did try and start the thing up then it could have been very bad

Just quit for a week and do other things thats what I do, I just about junked my car but the spark comes back. If it doesnt, hell, burn it but make sure you get it on video tape!

If your gonna sell it grab a junk block and throw the thing together, youll have the satisfaction of finishing it and get more money in your pocket for all your other projects..

Good Luck

-Austin

p.s. id treat ya to a cold one if i was old enough lol.[/quote']

hell mike, come by this weekend, you, me, and cam can get trashed and paint my intercooler piping or somthing lol.

ill be there this weekend J..

this engine is nothing special but i dont see why it shouldnt hold 400hp with good tuning. stock internals can hold it.

i have all ARP hardware, metal headgasket, new everything inside, better bearings, better rings, all milled and decked.. it just needs a bigger turbo and thats it.

i found about 1000000000000000000000000000 shavings in my head so i blew them all out (i think).. and ill try and vacuum them out of the block tomorrow.

i figured i might as well finish this car.. run it a few times.. if it blows it blows.

i got my KA24DE on a engine stand right now so i can maybe start building that and when the time comes in swap it in..

keep all the L28ET stuff as spares for whatever car i build next and thats it.

thanks for the kind words guys.

mike