HybridZ

New 280zx Widebody sketches

Drftn280zxt

Looking good!!!

About the chrome inserts, Are you talking about the 3 horizontal "dashes" in the rear? I think chrome would be a bad idea. When you look at any super car these days I can't think of any that have chrome anything. It would look out of place. Try a body line instead, you know two different angles meeting.

Oh don't Aston Martin's have chrome grills.

Isk

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trust me, it'll be a little bit before I can pull that together. :D Although, my buddy J in VA is also in the near future, working with CF for S130s. Settle on a design, and we can talk to him about it. :D

Sounds good, sweet carbon fiber. No rush I don't do not have the money to invest in the car yet anyway.

Looking good!!!

About the chrome inserts' date=' Are you talking about the 3 horizontal "dashes" in the rear? I think chrome would be a bad idea. When you look at any super car these days I can't think of any that have chrome anything. It would look out of place. Try a body line instead, you know two different angles meeting.

Oh don't Aston Martin's have chrome grills.

Isk[/quote']

Yeah the three dashes are supposed to be the chrome inserts. Just a subtle additive that adds a little class. I don't want that car look too much like a race car :wink:, but I want it to function like one :-D Plus the three dashes compliment the window trim, emblems, and the front turn signal housing insert thing that I made up. Plus there really is not a line on the body back there that could "feed" into a line across the back. I think of the "dashs" as serving the same function as the side mouldings on a Titan, they break up a big open area, looks better IMO.

absolutely awesome.

just make sure you do something to cover up the ugly b pillars' date=' it looks like you did.

i think if the rear quarter glass went further forward, and maybe had thin black trim in between it and the side window, it would make the s130 look a lot better.[/quote']

Good point! I never have really liked how those B-pillar pieces stuck out off the car. A more flush fit would look better now that you bring it up. I agree with you on the black idea (not carbon) but gloss black or "black chrome" would look good right there now that I think about it.

Thanks for the compliments.

• 1 month later...

First thing i did when i repainted my 79zx was remove teh chrome B-pillars and paint them gloss black.. then i repainted them a chemeleon dark green to super dark purple. anything except shiny =) really makes the side of the car flow better.. especially when you have tinted windows.. looks like a smooth one peice.. nothing against chrome but they really dont look good onthe B-piller IMO. PIc of mine red zx on my profile

yeah thats why i went to the chameleon paint.. it uses darker colors without being to glossy or shiny except for one angle with the green. but dead on its like a flat.. but a flat piece would look better.. with the darker colors the ridges dont look as bad but im sure someone wuld be able to mount somekind of flat piece there.

soon as i get a digital camera again ill put up better shots.

Can't wait see pics of what you did Phantaz. Speaking of pics, here is the latest development with the Bi-Xenon projector technology coupled with advanced LED lighting that is directed via a parabolic "cup", and naturally showing the potentcy of a widebody on a ZX. Or in less fancy language, the new bad a$$ headlight design being advertised in mid drift! Tell me what you think :wink:

Widebodydrift.jpg

I know yoru looking for that single looking houseing for the bucket but i was in the Masarati dealership in Tulsa a few months ago for grins and teh new GT have a really nice looking dual projector bucket set up that i think would look awesome on a ZX or Z.

crappy cell phone pics sorry but here is before and after

when i first painted it you can really see the chrome and ridges inbetween the window and back glass

http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/PaulH1970/_entry/8a38a9c908d5b2270108e60707673a73/ps/ENTRY/EDITENTRY?foneblog=1140506252565

this is a shot after i painted the trim and tinted the windows to make it look more uniform.

ok not srue why it posted the links and not the pics..someone pls let me know what i did wrong =)

http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/PaulH1970/_entry/8a38a9c8feb43bce00fecd4b8ffd4ebe/ps/ENTRY/EDITENTRY?foneblog=1140506303995

Same thing in Texas. I'm gonna get the highest watt bulb I can run for the H4 conversion so that those F'n suv's can have a taste of their own medicine. Maybe I'll aim one of my headlights up a little to piss them off more...

BTW Drftn I like your designs alot. Its a crazy design!!! very outrageous' date=' and for me its actually too much for the street. But man when you pull it off it will look sweet. --after a million hours of body work!

-Oliver[/quote']

My 110 watt hellas seem to piss them off pretty good :-)

-Ed

Guest kustom240

I sorta like where you're going on this.. I like the idea, but I have somewhat different tastes.

I would prefer something that looked more similar to the amuse s200 body kit, with something like the 240zSX air dam on it, but have the lower lip extend slightly more, and maybe a couple of those funky f1-inspired things on the side of it.

That make any sense?

oh, the s2000 I'm talking about is http://www.tommychang.net/2005/06/amuse-s2000-gt1.htm

I know what your talking about. Here is the thing though, to me the Amuse kit looks a little too busy, and doesn't flow with the lines of car (especially in the rear). Not to mention the Amuse kit makes the front of the S2K look really heavy and really long. I agree with you on the

240zSX front fascia look. I favor the HKS/ APR/

Top Secret III aero kit looks personally (less abstract but still beefs up the car without overdoing it).

• 2 weeks later...

drftn,

I like your pics and ideas. I like the idea of the dual headlamps. If you want something to mock up headlights with, why not go to a junkyard and pull a set of old ones? Then you can work on those, and do whatever you want to them. Just throwin' in my 2 cents

That is one idea. But first I am going to try a smaller scale idea. I just won a 280zx Turbo model car off of a ebay. I am going to try to modify to car to match my drawing/ calculated specifications (the model is still in the box in plastic, truthfully a collectors item, but I couldn't find one anywhere else and I fealt really bad about buying a diecast collectors model). This side project should give me some ideas on how to actually do some of mods in the future. Sure its 1/25th scale but it still seems like a decent idea. Plus if I need help (which I probably will) the small scale model could be a good reference on how to make parts and pieces for the project. The drawings are only good to a certain degree and then a 3D model is really where all the ideas come together for a more overall idea on how it will look on the street.

Plus I really don't have much body work experience yet and no room to practice on a large scale.

So for now its dream big, and build small :lol:

Drift your first picture at the start of the thread is tight.

The nice thing about it is that I have a professional 3d modeler friend who can actually model that whole front end in solid works, even the rear end as well.

But he will need more detailed pictures and some dimensions, if you want to discuss this, and I can get him to model it.

To let you know how crazy of a modeler he is I'll show you a picture of what he did for me, he designed me a turbo with a custom housing, and Im getting it cnc machined, should have it this week or next.

If you want I can talk to him and ask him what info he will need from you to model it.

He will charge (it shouldnt be high), but if a handful of us pitch in, it will be cheap, we can even pitch in to get a mold designed and produce the parts!

I'm all for it.

assem16jn.jpg

assem46gf.jpg

assem28qv.jpg

assem16jn.jpg

better yet, you can take your fender off your car and get it reversed engineered (cmm scanned) then once you have the 3d model for it, you modify the fender with your drawings, buy modeling them in it, my friend can do this.

I will do it to, but everyone will have to pitch in to pay for the scan and the modification of the fender.

how much?:shock:

I dont know I can probably get an estimation, but I know it wont be too much.

Its ok cause everybody will just pitch in. lets say to get the drawings modeled in the fender will be $500 (though I doubth it would be this high), then if 10 people pitch in it will be 50 bucks, if 20 people pitch in it will be 25 bucks each, Im sure theres a handfull of people who would want the kit.

Since it was me and my brother, that turbo he made for us with the housing was around 800-1000. Turbos he told me is probably the most heaviest thing to model, if he can model a turbo he can model anything.

I got quoted the same turbo job for 10,000, 2500, 3,000, not including the housing. You do the math.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest levelhead86

http://www.rcgrabbag.com/rccars/datsun280zx/images/DSC03502b.jpg

http://rcgrabbag.com/rccars/datsun280zx/images/DSC03505b.jpg

Saw this model pic and I thought it was kinda interesting, and I hadn't have seen it anywhere else... It gave me a few ideas; I figured I'd share. Also, for the life of me, I have no idea how to post pics, as the script I usually use doesn't seem to work?

Wow, I didn't realize there was so much interest in my design. The problem with modeling it, like you said is dimensions. We gotta keep in mind the sheer amount of custom work involeved here. Custom Hood, custom front fascia, custom front fenders, custom rear fenders, custom door panels, custom sideskirts, custom rear valence (with integrated diffuser).

If anything the only component not custom could be the wing with the exception of the stanchions (I think that is what they are called). sadly the only dimensions I know right now are front fender 2" wider than stock and rear would be 4" wider than stock. Plus there are other dimensions I am still very unsure of. Where the rear fender should be completely blended into the door. How far forward should the front fender start to flare. I have not deisgned them to fit the way Subtle Z flares do, tapering right from door shut line.

Dimensions on the front fascia don't even get me started there.

Now here is a good solution (but it kinda revolves around my physical sculpting abilities, which I admit are a sheer cry away from the quality seen in my drawings :( ) Its not horrible, but then again things might turn out better with a medium that can be sanded, which is what I will be trying.

Anyways, my solution, if possible. Put a grid on my finished 1/25th scale model. (I've seen this done on TV when designers want to see a possible finsished product- specifically the Deora II-they do the cmm scan). Then cmm scan the model. Then blow up the digital model to a 1:1 scale. Then VIOLA you have all the dimensions. Logically it works but only your friend would know for sure if this is feasible.

I just hope I can sculpt well enough :roll:

yellowf40- I'm confused, are you promoting yours friends business, investing interest in my ideas, trying to boost production possibilities to get a widebody kit for youself and others (which I don't mind), or trying to help the 280zx community, or all four? Just curious where all this generousity is coming from, and if there are strings attached, other than the $25-$50 investment (naturally if this cmm scanning could be done I'd have to give credit to your friend for scale modeling, and producing dimension, which I wouldn't mind, just as long as in production (being optimistic here) I got credit for the design). Gotta see it from my perspective I guess, I designed a supposedly awesome kit, and many people encourage me to make it, then all of a sudden someone pops up willing to do all the modeling, I don't want to lose credit for my design. See if your friend (this is worst case scenario) (In reality I am assuming your friend isn't out to exploit an under experienced up and coming designer) modeled the design but somehow modified so much as the slightest bit they could then call it their design, and I would be a sitting ducking getting absolutely squat for my creative invent. The politics of design are messy, but important. Sadly many designers get screwed over by engineering firms and such because designs are changed and credit is lost, and thus profit is lost and the designer is in square one again.

Thanks for the interest, hopefully we can make this possible, the modeling that is, I'd like to see how that could turn out.