HybridZ

New 280zx Widebody sketches

Drftn280zxt

Tell me what you think. I refined the design a little and gave it more functionality. Plus I have changed the headlight design. If you notice I gave the inner curve of the headlight bucket more of an aggressive angle (hence the reason it does not follow the line in the hood as the stock would have)

Widebodyz.jpg

Solarized.jpg

Also the first one is a "manual photochop". I printed out a picture of my Z (black and white) then drew on it the widebody, wider wheels, etc. Thus creating a semiaccurate representation of what I want my ZX to look like. I traced all the orginal body lines that were not affected. Then trasferred the whole new depiction to another paper to make it look real. Plus I flipped the image. As hard as it may seem the picture in my signature is the one I used for that drawing!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That first one is the best I've seen of your concepts, I psuedo remember your old ones. The first one looks like it could realistically be pulled off, the second one and your other ones would need like 27'' rear wheels etc.

Yeah I'd have to agree. I really like the first one too. It does make the project seem "doable". And yeah the angle I used in the second drawing definitly over exaggerates the wheels. I think I need to take some more pictures of my car and do the same type of thing I did for the first. It really does give you a realistic representation of what it could look like. Also I have to say that each drawing is little better than the previous, I keep learning new techniques through practice. I look at some of the older ones and yeah they were not very good. But I think these newer style ones that definitely are more functional, could lead to something.

What are your guys opinions on the headlight/ taillight designs?

thanks for the praises. I'd love to start working on it. But a)I have no body mod experience b)I do not have the tools and c) I don't have the money to pull it off. But hey sponsers would be great to get the project rolling :wink: Now wouldn't having a mean Stroker Twin Turbo L28 under the hood of that beast be fitting :wink:

Guest Dorifto

Drftn, that top pic makes me want a 2-seater badly! I'm looking into another ZX since my 2+2 has gone to pot, actually. :D

I smell opportunity.

That hood ... is amazing. Nah, that whole car is amazing! There's got to be an art college in Vegas that will give you a full-ride scholarship for that work!

You know, I've been trying to get that headlight idea into my head for a while now. I think it would looks sick to widen the headlight buket up a little (if you're going ultra wide like i've got in my mind) and do a two or three light setup within a cover. Maybe something like this headlight but longer to fit the ZX look.

http://factoryfive.com/table/ffrkits/GTM/gallery/images/GTM-BDETAIL48-Art-Sp.jpg

But yea, you've got alot of great things going on in that first concept. I've got a much smoother look in my mind for a ZX, but I think it would be awsome to see that car on the street. We need some more ZX guys on this board. I guess we'll just have to be the pioneers that start the ZX revolution ;)

really like thoose pictures!

the headlights are really something i would like to have on my 280zx...

i've started to make my own taillights for the car only the outer frame is left of the original taillights and there will be LED instead of bulbs. =)

I hear you on the LEDS. In the drawings the taillights are supposed to be LEDS. And the outer headlight portion is also supposed to be LED. So there is really a projector and LED technology involved in those headlights :-D

Dorifto-

I wish I new someone here in Vegas that could "hook it up" but at the Art Institute here in Vegas they do not have an Industrial Design segment.

Gollum- what exactly do you have in mind. Any Sketches of your plans out of curiosity?

The kids got talent!! I don't know what you are doing now but IMO you should persue auto art. Could be a future in it...

I agree. If you would be willing to move to Los Angeles/Pasadena area I'd highly recommend these guys http://www.artcenter.edu/ the offer an entire major to transportation design. I applied back when I wanted to be a graphics design major, but didn't get in. They are one of the best in the nation and do have a lot of connections to big time Car companies.

Tyson

The kids got talent!! I don't know what you are doing now but IMO you should persue auto art. Could be a future in it...

That is exactly what I want to do. I really, really want to design for Nissan (yeah I am that stuck on Nissan's)

I agree. If you would be willing to move to Los Angeles/Pasadena area I'd highly recommend these guys http://www.artcenter.edu/ the offer an entire major to transportation design. I applied back when I wanted to be a graphics design major, but didn't get in. They are one of the best in the nation and do have a lot of connections to big time Car companies.
Yeah I looked into that place. But Nevada offers a kick a## scholarship of $10,000 for the Universities in Nevada. I figured I would take advantage of the opportunity since I was over qualified for the scholarship and am pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering. My reasoning for this is is well, this degree will costs a small fraction of what a transportation design degree would. And a Mechanical Engineering degree is a stronger foundation to fall back on. Transportation Design is a little weaker. You are severely limited with a transportation design degree versus MEG. And going to school and living at home really does make things easier to concentrate on my studies.

Here is the plan, since Art Center College of Design would cost roughly $100,000, and I really really don't want a hefty loan. I am praying like he## that Nissan might be willing to fund the rest of my education after I attain my MEG degree. After all I have worked for Nissan since I was fifteen and my dad has been with Nissan for almost thirty years, and they have recognized him for it.

By all means, I would much rather be there (Art Center College of Design), I know I'd love it. I've looked over the entire curriculm (sp?) (which is kinda torture, since there is almost no class that I wouldn't enjoy) and it pushes me do well since I know what I really want to do, and I know an engineering degree can only help to make be a better potential designer.

Thanks for all the nice words guys,you make me feel like my dream (er both of them) could come true.