HybridZ

New 280zx Widebody sketches

Drftn280zxt

I completely understand your reasoning. Mechanical Engineering would be awesome I would be doing the same if I were better at math. Like you said the MEG Degree leaves you open for a large possiblity of careers. After you get your MEG are you going to go for a Masters program or just going to stick with a BA? Also have you looked into the Grad School programs for Transportation design? Though if i remember correctly they cover more areas (i.e. industrial, transportation, and residential), if you were looking for more of an artistic field. I think it could also open you up for more advanced designs of automotive by having a double-backing of knowing the mechanicals and the good looks. I say go for what you're doing, best of luck. Hope to see some designs for S30's though too ;) .

Tyson

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got ideas for the S30, I just gotta get them on paper :wink: I'll just go for the BA and if necessary get another BA in tranportation design. I'm not sure if what I want to do would be "graduate work" or just a whole other degree. That school told be that I would probably still have to do about 3yrs of schooling since only so much of my MEG would pre fulfill their requirements since the Transportation design degree in mostly studio work and building a portfolio. But the ironic thing is that some MEG stuff is incorporated into the curriculum.

Drftn280zxt: I don't have any real drawing skills, so I'm limited to photochop & 3ds max (wich i'm not bad with, I used to make my 3d models for games with 3ds). I've only got a chassis mockup but it was planed for a S30. Since i'm gonna make my S130 my project I'm going to redo all my design, expecially since it's going to have different goals. The body desgin will be a PAIN, but I'll get eventually. Once the design in done in 3ds it'll look kick butt though.

Guest Dorifto

^ I remember seeing that page as well - it was a custom LED setup on a Lexus IS300 Cross-sport. I can't remember the link, nor do I have it saved anywhere. I should look for it again. :D

Hey mate, like the others i too love the work you have done and if you dont mind i would like to take your pictures into a custom body shop over here to see if they can do the job of creating it.

Cheers and keep up with the brilliant work.

Drftn280zxt they look greate! will be looking around to other carmodels and se if a can find the right type of headlights so that i can start to experimentate with my own (must get my a extra pair for headlight "covers" thoose in glassfiber)

about the taillights so will i this weekend measure and try to find the right flashlight or something similar to starting to fabricate my own LED taillights perhaps from a stoplight at the crossings ;)

got the link of the LED i ment: http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/altezza-gita/diy-tail2-01.htm

Guest Dorifto

Drftn, a good friend of mine works at a European Only wrecking yard - he's going to try and hook me up with BMW and Benz projectors. I'm seriously going to try that light setup out. :mrgreen:

Once again, you've surpassed my expectations!

-Dave-O

You guys might wanna try the complete bucket out of a newer Maserati. They look almsot identical to the Datsun buckets, all someone would have to do is extend it with resin or something to match. Ive had this idea for a couple of years now. I want to fit in with the rest of southern californians who need super projector headlamps to blind everyone in front of them.

02.maserati.spyder.det.500.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/firstdrive/2002/maserati.spyder/02.maserati.spyder.det.500.jpg

246_headlight_covers1_sm.jpg

http://www.superformance.co.uk/parts/dino2/246_headlight_covers1_sm.jpg

Once again, you've surpassed my expectations!
:lol: I haven't even met my own. Hey do you guys think the headlight design needs more black, less chrome, change of shape around the LEDS and projector, need input since these are things I am having difficulty in designing to look good. Personally I don't like that headlight sketch, looks like crap. Hint (I'll be doing another one)

By the way does anyone on here know how to effectively recreate the look of chrome in a drawing? I tried, as to me it looks less like a reflection

Drftn280zxt i took the liberty to post your sketches at a swedish forum (where i got my project thread) but of cause did i say who had done the sketches.

Thanks for telling me, and for acknowledging/giving credit for the sketches, I really appreciate it.

I stared at my headlight bucket today as I think I have contemplated a better design for the headlights. I realized that there was something missing in the sketch above. The 280zx has a steeper outer slope than what you see in the sketch. Plus what do you think of having the outer part (the lighter gray area in the sketch) as Carbon fiber, then have the elliptical "things" that are in front of the projector/LED as chrome. Then still have the chrome "rings" and have the "bodys" of the "LED unit" and "Projector unit" in gloss black or "black chrome". Then on the "Projector Unit's body" have chrome rings similar to what is on the projector units of the Mercedes CLS

here is a pic of the CLS unit

Mercedes%20CLS%20-%20Faro640.jpg