HybridZ

Aerosmith's Z

kj280z

• 1 month later...

Hey Ken,

Heres a little story from the result of your article on Joey Kramer. First, let me give you a little history on my father.

My dad has been playing guitar ever since he was a teen. He grew up playing with some bands and individuals that would turn out to be huge. I remember him telling me about playing with Cheap Trick, etc. He currently has a new band which kicks *** i must say, at 53.

My father has been into Corvettes and Camaros since as far back as i can remember. Oh wait, he had a Porsche once, but i cant remember that. From the time i can remember, he had a VW bug, VW Rabbit, then he went out one day and came home with an 86 Corvette. My mom was pissed and that probably contributed to the divorce, but hey, thats the past. I have to say my mom didnt argue on the weekends when my dad let her drive it. Anyway. They got divorced, my dad took me, my mom took my brother. I went to live with pops in Long Beach, CA. His vette got stolen out of the garage, police chased, ended up totaled on the freeway.

So my dad goes and buys an 88 Z28. It was grey, grey interior, 305 5.0, just a slow basic Camaro. That got stolen after owning it a few years. (thank god actually). So, my father drops me off one day at school in a rental POS, then comes home later that night in a sweet burgandy 5.7L IROC-Z. Ok this car was bad ***. He kept it a few years, and i eventually drove it when i was 19-20. I had a REALLY hot blonde girlfriend living with me and it really turned her on.

Since i took his IROC, my dad bought a 79 280zx from a friend. The engine in the IROC blows, my dad sells that for $500 after i attempt an engine and trans replacement. I was new to cars, so i failed. Now the ultimate smack in the face comes. He made me go to downtown LA, and pick up a 90 base model Sentra for my new car. That sucked!

The head gasket blows in the Sentra a few months later. My dad buys a early 90's Plymouth Voyager that blew smoke. Shame on him. He hands me the 79 280zx and thats when i got into Z Cars. My brother who is currently serving in Iraq, got the sentra.

A few years later, my blonde hottie is gone, my brother has the sentra up and running, and my dad decides to get a 98 Voyager. Hes a musician, and totes around tons of equipment day and night. I have another 79 at this time, so we are all happy.

So I have a new son. I needed something to drive around, so i buy a non running 1993 G20. I fix it up, runs great. Something happened to it, i dont remember, so i gave it to a friend. My girlfriend buys a 93 Mercury Villager, and we drive that around for about 2 years or so. Im stuck driving that if we want to go anywhere, blah.

So lets go back to Mr Dad. He goes to work one morning, and calls me around noon and tells me to meet him outside. What do you know, a 92 Vette. The man has done it again. Now let me tell you, he buys this AFTER i took him down the path of exploring Z cars, especially a TT as his next sports car. I failed, sadly.

Now i get to drive the 98 Voyager. Its a nice ride i gotta admit. The 79 280zx gets driven every now and then. My father does not believe that my 79 will 'smoke' him once i finish all the mods in my sig, but we know better, dont we?

2 days ago, the mail still hasnt been delivered to me. My father slacks in this area, majorly. I call him up and demand my mail be delivered to me by the end of the night. He wont give me the mail box key. Come night, he walks in the house and announces he picked up the mail. He brings in my stuff, and lays down the Sport Z magazine on my bed. I said "look dad, Joey Kramer has a Z and you dont". He was midly amused.

The past few days, my father has been calling me every time he sees a cool looking Z car on the road. He tells me that the new 350z is one of the best looking sports cars out there. I agree with him. He comes home and requests to read my Sport Z magazine. I give it to him, he goes into his room, and like usual, closes the door.

A few hours later, im summoned to appear in his room. He has the computer on looking at ebay, classifieds, etc....for a 350z. He tells me that they are very cheap (used) for what the car offers. We spend the next 2 hours together talking about 350Z's, looking at performance mods, checking out online galleries and videos, etc. I havent spend this much quality time with my dad since i was a little kid. It was great!

An interview with an Aerosmith rocker with a kick *** 350z is one of the best things that ever came into this house. My dad is talking about replacing the vette "eventually". I know exactly what he is thinking. Im sure we have many many quality hours of spending time together doing something we enjoy ahead in our future. Thats all thanks to Ken Jones for the writeup.

Ken, you have done the impossible. You helped transform a hard working attorney who knows very little about cars, who thinks Vettes and Camaros are the pinnacle of automotive performance, into a believer. My dad the vette guy, who would have thought, lol.

You did tell Mr Kramer about hybridz.org, right? Hehe.

My phone and email has been pretty lively since the magazine is starting to hit peoples mailboxes!

Joey's TT 350z is an amazing machine. He has a lot of experience upgrading cars to meet his expectations... This one is certainly a great example of what can be done.

I like his approach to the upgrades... He does his research and the things he does are performed in a very methodical and logical manner.

The car has received a few more modifications since the article and I believe it has reached it's limitations (without internal engine mods). It is truly a TOTALLY fun car that has very impressive performance.

Regards

Ken