HybridZ

Tired of all the mouth!!!

utvolman99

in so. cal i heard there are a lot of really fast civics out there, my buddy from san gabriel has a b16a crx that runs 15s and says he gets blown out of the water two out of three races by other civics on a weekly basis, it is possible, but overall around my part of the woods very very rare.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, here is the deal... I know a few hondas that are built up pretty well, and even know of a ford Probe with a turbo and a shot of NOS. Those cars are quick, and I respect the work put into those cars to get them fast. Those guys I could sit and talk for hours with and I bet they would appreciate crawling under my car to see some of my own tricks. Problem is that those guys are less than 1% of the ricers out there. I spoke with a kid at the auto parts counter yesterday afternoon and the kid was talking about NOS and turbos and you could tell he was K- L- U- LESS... He watched the F&F video once to many times and bought into the hype... Any front driver running in the 12s and being driven daily is a car worth appreciating, and I mean that. Its the sea of posers that you have to swim through to get to the realy nice cars that represents the bulk of our negative attitude towards the rice crowd.

Mike twak.gif

The guys that run the local speed shop here always make the first "test & tune" day at the 1/4 mile track each year with their traditional V8 American iron. Up until this last year they alway saw about 30 imports to work around. Then after The F & F movie came out, they said it was unbearable at the track. 130+ imports this year. It was amusing to hear him describe the visual appearances of the "ricers". I guess this will be the next class war.

Class war huh?? So where do we fit? Are we ricers or hotrodders? I bet most ricers would say we were hotrodders and most hotrodders would say we were ricers!

I do have great respect for being able to get a lot of Hp out of a small engine. I think its great to see a 2.0L MR2 blow past a 5.0 mustang. At the same time I like to see a well tuned 5.0 put the ricers in their place. Most of these guys with imports dont know what fast is. If you read the other message boards you will see all kinds of threads reading "killed a corsica" or "killed a volvo". My truck would be blazing fast if all I raced were four door family cars and mini vans!

Guest Anonymous

Sounds like a semi-intelligent ricer!! Go figure!! And also, I don't care how fast or how much horsepower it has, it's still a wrong wheel drive mom's grocery getter HONDUH!!!!!

You know, that's one of the reasons I never felt like really modding and flogging my Eclipse - the drivelines are NOT made for much more than what it came with power wise, and the parts are quite expensive (trans, diffs, drive and halfshafts).

"The only 5.0's he was running off from, must have been some 5.0's (policemen) on bicycles and even they would hang tough for a couple of gears..."

Lone, you kill me!!

Over spring break I drove a brand new Civic 4 door with the large® engine. Man was I let down. From all that I had heard about the Civics I ASSumed they couldn't possibly be too slow but this one was. NO, it didn't have any mechanical problems, it was just plain slow and it took constant revving in the 3,000 area to get up to highway speed with everyone else!

Oh yeah, and I have a buddy who bought a Civic with the V-tek, blah blah blah... He says the goal is to get like 600 street driven ponies with a turbocharger and a fogger. Needless to say, he makes me laugh every time he talks about his car! I even asked him once how, exactly, he plans to put "all that power" down to the ground without breaking stuff (like traction and trannies...), to which he replied that it would be easy and he looked at me like I was a moron. Man, this kid was just starting to study to be a civil engineer and I could not believe how little he actually knew about physics!!

Now, I'm only just turned 20 so I don't really take too kindly to ricers being referred to as "all those kids" because I'm still a kid in some ways. I still watch SpongeBob Squarepants on Nick, it's a quality show...

BUT

Just give me my V-8 and I will kill about anyone with half as many cylinders who challenges me!

Patrick

thats funny. i used to have a b16a swapped civic, and used to think it was the fastest thing on earth, until i discovered torque. right now im working on this guys 2000 prelude sh with the

"big block" 2.2 vtec, its slow as heck, weighs almost as much as a new camaro with half the

torque, but winding out 8k and hearing the vtec crossover is pretty cool, but i really enjoy driving the speed limit and dumping out his two 15" woofers, as a driver those hondas are

frekin fantastic, very calm and very smooth, but im trying to come with the rwd, and my

four speed b_hand.gif

Guest Thurem

All these claims off 11 and 12 sec timeslips, with a Honda, comes from the additive horsepower gains. I.e you put on a fartpipe, you get 10 hp, then you put on a set of sparkplugwires and get another 5 hp, now this is 15 genuine horses right there. If you then add some an iceman intake for another 10 hp and a header for another 15 youve gained 40hp, then add stickers and dvdscreens and it prolly adds up to almost a 100hp...

Same thing with 1/4 M times you start out with a 16 sec car, but you're a reaalllly good driver so figure about 14sec, then you add the above and each unit is good for at least a second or so then there you go, here is a Honda well into the 9's or something like that, makes sense to me, I think...

hail.gif

Thure

To answer the question of whether street driven 11 second hondas exist... yes, they do. I've taken a ride in a 450 whp turbocharged integra gsr with the LS (beefier) transmission. This was also the owner's daily driver. We got on the street, he got on the onramp, and by the time we got on the freeway, his speedo was [accurately] reading 118mph. This thing didn't have a feeling of high torque, but definitely could relate to my bike. In fact, it felt just about as fast. on the freeway, he hit about 150, and then let off because our exit was coming up. let's just say we got to where we were going very very quickly.

Last I recall he ran 12.2 at sacramento raceway on street tires, with MAJOR traction issues. I do recall him snapping front axles on occasion... those occasions happened very often! unfortunately, he parted out the turbo components, returned the car to mostly stock condition and sold it. I hear he was looking into getting a GN

Originally posted by thurem:

All these claims off 11 and 12 sec timeslips, with a Honda, comes from the additive horsepower gains. I.e you put on a fartpipe, you get 10 hp, then you put on a set of sparkplugwires and get another 5 hp, now this is 15 genuine horses right there

you know, not every honda owner is automatically a ricer. I drive a neon with racing stripes. what does that make me?

Guest Anonymous

Hey I wouldn't worry too much about the imports. Your set up is very similar to mine. 73 240 with a 355 sbc, Victor Jr. alum heads, Super Victor intake, 10 to 1, 700R4, 3.9 gears, with Nitto Extreme drag radials (225/50-R16 on 16X8 Weld Draglites). The car easily goes 11.80's @118 mph on the track. That eliminates all but the really serious imports.

Guest 400 ci 280z

thurs or friday i was coming home from school and on the way to pick up my sis 300zx. well i get to my street and a viper gts is just sitting at the light and i about have a heart attack. well a couple of ricer kids at my school pulled next to him and started to rev the engine. the light turns green and the honda spins his tires and thinks he is just awsome because he just beat a viper. the guy in the viper takes off slow gets into 3rd and all of a sudden i hear a loud rumble and tires breaking loose, and in a split sec he flies be the little honda. i get to the next light and just begin to gauk then look up and everyone else was doing the same. i almost waited through a green light staring at his car.

well i just wanted to tell you guys what i saw.

chris

Guest Anonymous

Being 16 myself, I belong right in that crowd, I have a lot of friends in school & some in my college classes that are such 'import tuners.' However, I personally hate the rice movement, I am as anti-rice as anti-rice gets. Why do I drive a Japanese car then? Well, to me rice is only about 5% the [psuedo fast] car, about 95% immature poseur attitude. I love moscle, especially stingrays, camaro's, gto's, birds, and mopars! I am in no way against new import vehicles, in fact I only dream of one day owning a 94+ 3000gt vr-4, one of my five favorite cars. Hondas are very pleasant to drive (except my mom's civic seats), its so smooth and effortless its almost like not driving at all. I can see how kids could hop in their parents honda's and think "now if only this thing had some balls..," but they fail to sit down and physics and principles of a good performance/sports car, made economically. I've been waiting to have my own car to modify for a long time. I really wanted a stingray (68-73 preferably) for my first car but I had to then think about what I could afford. The bottom line is I like small cars.. coupes.. gt's.. mid-engines. A car that can really sport a good power to weight ratio, and have the structural integrity to back it up. I looked at triumphs, mg's, even a few 911's. That's when I discovered the Z, it was like love at first site! I really needed a car fast though, so I "had to settle" for a 280zx about 100 miles away. I ended up really growing to like it. Its smoked its fair share of rice, and gotten spanked by some 5.0 :(

However, I don't want to sell it for an s30. In fact, I'm building it up to over 300hp with a turbo setup. As a daily driver, I can really appreciate things like power steering and brakes, for those really tired mornings emo.gif

That's why I'm buying a second Z, (actually, bought) a '73 240.. to restore, and fully hybridize with 383 cubes (sbc). I want to have one streetable sleeper daily driver Z, and one show/track/project Z. I'm one of the few at school who owns 2 cars, let alone 2 blue Z's. In fact I'll probably be changing my handle to 2blueZ in the near future to spite my 2nd Z.

Conclusion: I've learned so much more REAL car knowledge since I bought my Z than I would all that psuedo physics "lightened valve stem" :D honduh crap. I owe most of that to you fogeys and your years of experience :Dtongue.gif

For my age, I try to be as intelligable and logical as I can (I'm pursuing a mech. engineer degree) about anything that turns or fires. By the time I'm 25 with both of my Z's in sweet condition, I'll owe the men of this forum more than I can ever repay.

>Rice this<

-980mak rockon.gif

Originally posted by 980mak:

I owe most of that to you fogeys and your years of experience :Dtongue.gif

For my age, I try to be as intelligable and logical as I can (I'm pursuing a mech. engineer degree) about anything that turns or fires. By the time I'm 25 with both of my Z's in sweet condition, I'll owe the men of this forum more than I can ever repay.

>Rice this<

-980mak rockon.gif

From one of the fogey's - You're Welcome! cheers.gif

The thunder of a hopped up NA engine with alot of cubes, at idle, cruise or full tilt is something I don't think anyone can really say is not an adrenaline rush!

Heck even my little 327 (DD2000 estimates 380hp) sounded great when I cranked it up after a rebuild yesterday!

Auxilery Don't take it personal man... I drive a 1990 Civic hatchback, and I love driving that little 3 colored hunk 'O junk! The plan is to actually do a big engine swap and a coil over kit AFTER the teenager in my house gets his license and moves past the Civic in his driving abilities. I'd like to GUTT the interior and put a cage in it and do some SCCA stuff down the road, but who knows! Too many irons in the fire right now!!!

I think anyone doing true performance mods to their car is to be commended. Like I said before, the reality is that 98% of the kids out there are doing the sterio typical stickers and mufflers, with MAYBE an intake...and the rest is all show...Pedals, big tachometer, seatbelt pads, shift knobs and color coordinated shift boots... Because that is mainly all they can either afford, or have the ability to install, which is OK, until they start acting like they are the greatest race driver ever, and their car is realy a Diablo in Civic clothing.

The fact that you have a sport bike says something about the fact that you know what REAL SPEED is! Rode my GSXR 62 miles into work this morning...THAT is serious fun!

Mike

Mike cheers.gif

Nah, believe me, I don't take it personally. That's why the neon is the daily beater, the bike is for some speed, and the Z is a project car for a track bitch and weekend pleasure cruiser (don't know how well that's going to work since the car's going to be more jittery than a pinto with broken springs). Initially I just got offended because the common consensus is that all honda drivers are ricers. My neon falls in the same category, and the stripes were part of the r/t (you know, mopar's road/track) package. ie. my car's built for autox and commute, not the strip

Believe it or not, there are some fast hondas, as for that integra I can vouch: it's not 'friend of a friend of a friend' because a. i've been in it, b. i've seen it run at the strip (but didn't have my camera at the time. A little '90 civic hatch or a CRX have very light chassis, and swapping engines from other hondas is a cinch compared to a v8 swap into a Z. It's all drop in/bolt in, no fabrication required since all the mounts are in the identical location, etc. I've seen 2.2 liter vtec prelude motors in those hatches... and a 2200lb car with 195hp/150 tq stock isn't too bad, and if you add the typical breather mods and cams/camshafts and tune it right, might even squeeze that number out to the wheels.

just keep in mind that the car's original intent has and always will be an econobox smile.gif