HybridZ

9.088 @ 162.92 mph

auxilary

Actually I read in Sport COmpact that they use those bars to assist/ load the front wheels...Basically acting as a lever...

There was a race civic in Orlando that ripped off 12s on motor alone... No power adders... The car was FAST!

Mike

:D

I'll ask one more silly question then. Does the wheelie bars then in essence lift or unload the rear tires so that the front tires now carry a higher percentage of the total weight of the car. Hydraulic cylinders? Hmm, active suspension on a drag car.

Yes. The wheelie bars are active. And I've heard some tracks don't allow them.

Talk about a track-only way to be quick! Kind of like what Rube Goldberg would do if he had to work with a FWD car to make a drag car. No, he'd probably figure it would be easier to make the engine turn the other way and just drive it backwards! b_hand.gif

Well, seeing as my buddy Shaun just bought Kenny's old suspension setup I know the answer. They FWD guy are no longer allowed to preload the wheelie bars as they tear up the track. The purpose of the wheelie bars is to change the effective wheel base, length wise that is. By using soft springs in the back the load is then transfered onto the wheelie bars upon launching and extends the effective length of the cars wheel base by 3-4ft. The places more load onto the front tires thereby increasing traction. The wheelie bars have to be about 3" off the track with the driver in the car. I hope this helps.

On this particular car the wheelie bar is not hydraulic. It is a rachet setup that looks like an e-brake lever inside the car. This is a Dallas car that I have seen. It is totally gutted. A friend of mine said it is the fastest car in its class nation wide. Who knows?

Hydraulic loading wheelie bars are illegal on FWD cars... what the stye that is legal (like on that car) do is this:

The front tires are aired down quite a bit. The wheelie bar is put against, or very close to, the ground. When the tires expand upon rotation/takeoff, they are forced hard into the ground by the wheelie bars, creating lots of traction.