HybridZ

who has the fattest lip on their z???

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are gonna do this right, there must be verification and rules. A ruler placed on the rim, such that an easily verifiable measurement can be shown, should be included in the photo. And of course, the wheel must be "on the car." So I'll show you my ruler if you'll show me yours.

standard.jpg

• Administrators

Hands down Terry wins for the most beautiful and exotic lip, but I just may have you all beat as far as overall lip. My F-prepared SOLO-II 240-Z is shod with 13”x13” Diamond racing wheels on the rear. You read that right 13” WIDE rims shod with Good year road racing slicks. The fronts are 13”x10”. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t really need that much meat and sometime in the next couple seasons I may put smaller tires on it. For now, I really enjoy everyone’s first comment when they approach the car…

“HOLY $H!T those are HUGE A$$ tires!!!”

Lippy.jpg

fatty.jpg

front.jpg

So did I hear that right, the winner gets $300?!?!LOL

• Administrators
Braap, that looks sick! But not to be a smata$$ but what benefit does having 13 inch wide racing slicks on a NA L6 car serve? Im not bashing or anything I am just trying to learn, thanks

I bought the car with those crazy wide tires. Short history… The car was built by a good friend that had me build him “my” ideal track engine that had to be somewhat civilized, i.e. not hyper-strung. I built the engine back in ’98, bottom is just a stout Flat top L-28 with ARP rod bolts, one of my lightened flywheels, and balanced. ARP head studs used as well. The head is a Maxima N-47 treated to copious amounts of valve unshrouding, 4 and 5 angle valve work on the seats, (I use Sunnen VSC Seat cutters on my Bridgeport mill for cutting valve seats), and a very mild cam, I think lift is around only .480”, I’d have to dig through the paperwork to know for sure. He put maybe 4 hours on the car since, got hung up on street rods and mentioned to my wife that he was selling the Z car so she secretly purchased the car from him without me knowing around Dec last year and surprised me with it on Memorial day this year. I have since removed the Super-Trapp, sold the Triple Webers and currently installing EFI and will campaign the car in F-prepared. The car was originally set up for track days only, and as such, the wide tires were an attempt to get AS MUCH rubber on the ground as possible. The car has seen time at Laguna Seca, PIR, Thunderhill, and few other courses. The car does STICK like freaken crazy, in fact, laterally, it sticks better than ANY car I have ever been in, and this includes Tom Kotzians national SOLO-II winning Vette, Brian Coles SOLO-II Dodge Viper running 14” wide slicks on all 4 corners with $1000 Penske double adjuables, (race car only, no street duty). I’ve seen This Z car “bicycle” with these crazy wide tires while Vern was hammering it around one of the tight courses used by the Southern Oregon sport cars club, (fun Go Kart track).

Power wise, sure enough, it doesn’t need “that” much tire, handling wise on the road courses, I think these large tires do help keep it stuck to the pavement in the corners. For Solo-II, these tires might be a bit TOO Much. Like I said in the previous post, within a couple seasons, I may go to a narrower tire. We’ll see how she does this season before I make up my mind.