HybridZ

whos turbo shoots flames?

MaTTSuN

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so for us SDS owners...since we only have an accell value, i guess that means we rich out the upper MAP sensor settings, since it goes to like -26mm/hg when we let off the gas in high RPM???

Retard the timing too. Your turbo and exhaust system may not like it though :icon6:

less power = less fun :(

why does the retarded timing change thef lame prop?

We are talking about programmable EFI here, right? If you want flames on decel (more like a bunch of backfires), program the fuel mix to be lean and retard the timing on high vacuum/high rpm only. This will cause a rich/lean transition on decel from high rpm, and won't affect the WOT power.

You probably aren't using part throttle at 5k+ rpm very often anyway, right?

Retarded timing starts the ignition process later in the cycle - the fuel is still burning when it exits the port. Anti-lag systems retard timing and bump fueling in order to GREATLY speed up the spool at the expense of power. I tried an ignition map from a guy's car who swore it spooled MUCH faster blah blah. Sure enough it spooled several hundred RPMs faster than my optimized ignition mapping - and lost a pile of HP too. Doh! Felt like crap on the road. I setup anti-lag on my car for the track to launch - WOT, against the RPM limiter 2stepping, it would make so much boost the W/G would open at the line and scare the crap out of the poor starting line guy :D Setting up anti-lag for the street to trigger at low RPMs (just retard and extra fuel) made the car weird to drive too and wasn't on for long. Videos of my car before I did the anti-lag had it blowing fireballs out the back just on the two step, damaged a muffler doing that too. Loud as hell, tried it just once in the driveway trying to tune the cannon shots out of it but it scared my dog so bad I had to restrict the tuning to the track!

In general if you're blowing fireballs on deccell etc. the car is NOT tuned right, the injectors should be off during deccell. High EGTs and all sorts of things can result on anti-lag etc. too so don't use it for long periods of time. WRC cars do some crazy things for anti-lag far different than what I did, beats the snot out of the turbos too.

ohhhh opps....

i richened up my HIGH map values and it gurgled...so i gave up...

tomorrow, im just going to set that sucker on ZERO for fuel from like -24mm/hg and upwards...that should give me some flames :wink:

heheh...this is going to be fun.

ohhh and lower timing, equals hotter combustion tempatures GJC5000...

ohhhh opps....

i richened up my HIGH map values and it gurgled...so i gave up...

tomorrow, im just going to set that sucker on ZERO for fuel from like -24mm/hg and upwards...that should give me some flames :wink:

heheh...this is going to be fun.

ohhh and lower timing, equals hotter combustion tempatures GJC5000...

Just don't blame me if your muffler blows off!

:mrgreen:

Seriously - it probably won't, but it might. Depends on how rich and how lean at the transition.

...as an aside, I'm not sure that the retarded timing really causes higher combustion temperatures - it will cause higher EGTs due to the later start of the combustion process and the increased likelihood that the fuel is still burning when the exhaust valve opens (as BLKMGK pointed out)

• 2 weeks later...