HybridZ

whos turbo shoots flames?

MaTTSuN

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming shooting flames out the back hella screws up the catalytic converter?

Catalytic Converter? On a 1973? What, are you INSANE MAN?!?!?!!?!?

LOL

No converter here, and piping clean out the back in my 73 to better than CATALYZED 1983 California Standards (I got the Smog Printout to PROVE IT!)

That is the way to do it!

What do u mean by a full exhaust system?

Oh, one with say a premuffler, or even a single muffler.

Especially one with a SEAMED OUTER CANNISTER!

I watched one seamed muffler blow open when there was an exhaust backfire (a bit more violent than what we are talkingabout, but same conditions.)

On another car, too much decel fuel coupled with reignition by getting back on the gas literally blew the muffler off the back of the car!

I watched an BSME decide he was a BSEE one day and decided to disconnect a load sensing transducer in the pneumatic air-fuel ratio control panel while the unit was running under load. His thinking "we'll only disconnect it for a split second" was not applicable to this situation as we told him. He backfired the engine. Now this was a V16 Stationary Powerplant running 24psi boost, producing 2650HP (minimum). 10" bore, 10.5" stroke.

He succeeded in launching a 48" diameter muffler that was almost 10 feet tall over the top of the compressor building, and impaling the baloney cut 24" diameter Schedule 10 stubby pipe in through the parking lots asphalt.

I took some neat photos of it, but they were used in some...uh...legal proceedings after the fact which I can not discuss in much detail.

Flames in the tail pipe can easily be contained and harnessed to concussive detriment to exhaust system componentry. Usually in smaller diameter exhausts, BTW. They don't flow freely enough to spread the flame front out and suppply enough O2 to support a true smooth blue burn. BANG!

Bastaad - thanks for the kind words.. that video inside the car was unfortunatly only my warm up lap.. so the lines are a bit off, and you can hear me shifting midway through a corner... but the outside shots are from a later lap I did.

The drifting was done with 185 tires and an OPEN 3.54 differential (R180)

that was all with the stock suspension too..

i've learned lots of techniques with the Z.. but now I have a new suspension so it's a bit stiffer and the back end breaks out ALOT easier.. hehe still perfecting it..

anyway.. Flames are amazing.. i love them.. thats all I have to say... like an angry angry dragon

My brother's 93 cobra would light up the pipes upshifting at night, and get some good minor flames coming out when pushing it hard and then getting a good downshift that brings it up to 5k.

It had 4 cats (CA model) and it was completelly stock...

If you just take a cat out of most cars you can get the tail pipes to light up at night. I've also seen fairly stock cars in japan though some good flames visible in daylight (BMI comparison races).

So to some effect almost all cars have excess unburned fuel under some conditions. If this wasn't the case why would a EGR do anything for emissions?

on that note Helix... that you only care about how fast your car is...

I've ALWAYS noticed that high horsepower cars will throw flames..

any dyno video, or track video will prove that high horsepower cars will throw flames, one example is the Ferrari F40 or the Pagani Zonda they spit flames upon deceleration all the time..

dyno video's you will watch a car go balls out and let off at red line and watch the fire belch out of it's rear..

I personally have always considered flames shooting out of cars as well tuned car! Looking at the car right away you can conclude something ins't stock anymore under that hood.

Then again, I am obsessed with WRC cars and Group B cars throwing flames, and nitro burning drag cars, and Forumla One cars... sooo that might be an influence to my opinion.

Ohh and my car shoots flames, but it is FAR FAR FAR FAR from high horsepower.. just a very hot exhaust a turbo and lots of unburned fuel.. but that defeats the point..

when an average person walking down the street observes a car shooting flames what pops in their head? "Ohh sweet a race car"

My opinion

260DET... your car WILL shoot flames... if it spits black smoke..

you need ONE thing.. HEAT..

if the exhaust is hot enough.. or the timing is a bit retarted... you will see LOTS of flames.. haha..

what size exhuast do you have? restrictive muffler??

if it's really straight through it'l belch out.. otherwise you may see a poof with a restrictive muffler/cat.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have my exhaust remounted right now and I didn't put a hanger behind my turbo muffler. I'm sure with some of the wicked decel backfires I have been getting I'll blow it off soon enough.

I have already blown out most of the fiberglass packing material and the car is noticeablly louder...

Can't wait for the turbo motor!

BWAHAHAHA.

260DET... your car WILL shoot flames... if it spits black smoke..

you need ONE thing.. HEAT..

if the exhaust is hot enough.. or the timing is a bit retarted... you will see LOTS of flames.. haha..

Well, almost... if you are running rich the one thing that you need is OXYGEN, which usually gets supplied by a subsequent rich-lean transition (rev limiter fuel cut, drop throttle fuel cut, general lean spot).

If the exhaust is short enough to maintain enough heat all the way to the outlet, then the oxygen gets supplied there.