HybridZ

whos turbo shoots flames?

MaTTSuN

i was going into the night trying to figure out my fuel pressure drop off and as i had my last run of the night befor the fuel pressure dropped off i was jabbing the gas and the badboy spits out nice blue flames pop pop so hot haha i have a 3" exaust with a ultra flow muffler i tried taking video of it on my phone but the the pressure dropped haha anyone else do this any pics?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mine did it alot.. even scared the hell out of a modded WRX owner in town who was behind me... thought i was gonna toast his bumper!

my supra i had the "supra Flame mod" on it and shot some good 10 foot or so flames.. i still have it some where in florida in a box.. might put it on a Z.

its the oldschool spark plug hot rod mod, some supra guy on supraforums made a few kits back in the day. was fun!

my blue Z's exhaust dumps to the side of the drivers door now so im sure ill see all the flames now!

mike

Guest 73Turbo240z

with a 3" downpipe, the holset, and MSnS... i'm sure all the flames i could want and more are just a small tune tweak away... and i fully plan to use it to freak people out lol.

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=10761&highlight=shoot+flames

this is a good thread.. hehe

with megasquirt or any other standalone efi...

changing the deceleration enrich percentages to like 100% or something...

and as long as the exhuast is HOT.. otherwise the unburned fuel will NOT ignite

mine ignites whenever it's hot... and i can hear popping on deceleration.. any shifting over 3,500 RPM shoots flames.. and lettting off the gas after full boost.

oh yeh.. also retarding the timing alot when declerating alot will do that too

Guest 73Turbo240z
73turbo240z...

just make the decel amounts alot when your off the gas... they will spit em out.

will do, expect to see that little tidbit on video soon

Guest bastaad525

Proxalamus - pretty impressive drifting in that video of yours. Do you have an LSD? Don't see it listed in your sig. My car with the open diff get's CRAZY if I push hard thru a turn... too much torque, very skinny tires and an open diff. I haven't really TRIED to drift it like that, but I always feel like if I did I'd spin it. I thought you really need an LSD to get good smooth drifts like that.

a couple year back i drifted the tires off with my open diff. my front end was 2 high and i would understear if i didnt drift and drive like a mad man made for good watching no doubt as i slid sideways threw almost every gate haha most fun ever. A LSD must be amazing my turbo spun both wheels the other day for a brake stand with the open diff

Anyhoo, how do you tune for flames? I'm guessing it would sacrifice performance with such rich spots.

It's easy, Decel Enrichment to 100% on the old Standalone!

It was on speed channel where they interviewed a bunch of mechanics for the WRC. They point blank asked why the turbos shot flames, and to a man, every single one of the team mechanics and engineers said the same thing: "FOR THE FANS!"

They all said since they are not fuel restricted on the short stages they run, the fuel they waste on the "flame show tuning" is not detrimental in the least bit for any of the teams, and "besides, the fans love it!"

One gent said something along the lines of "the fans wouldn't be nearly as enthusiastic if we tuned the flames out, which we can do---easily. We asked what they liked, and they all loved the flames, so we tune 'em big and fat for nice flames!"

So there is no real detriment---unless you have a full exhaust system, because I have firsthand knowledge that you can damn well launch a muffler with raw gas in the exhaust when it ignites!!! LOL