HybridZ

PC Race/Driving sim game(s)?

MusPuppis

We start the move in a week so its time to make preperations. We wont have cable TV or internet for a while. Not to mentioned little to no money, so entertainment will be extremely scarce. As a precaution I'm trying to weasel copys of games from friends of mine and may buy one or two for the computer, so I have something to kill time with - lol.

So, Anyone played any PC racing games they liked? I dont play single player games really, been an MMO guy for years so I'm out of touch. Curious if anyone has any recommendations for me? I'd also like to lay my hands on a good driving sim type game - if one exists. Ive heard TOCA Race Driver 2 or somesuch is supposed to have pretty good physics and be real-ish. I have a wheel and pedal combo (no clutch though =[).. I dunno, just wondering if anyone's run into something they liked.

I borrowed Need for Speed Most Wanted from a friend and.. umm. Yeah. Looking at the cars literally hurts my eyes and the whole concept behind the game annoys me.. Not really impressed at all.

Of course, ideally I'd just get GT4 and be done with it - but I dont have a PS2 anymore =[

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found that too, hehe. Downloaded it and tried to take it for a couple spins around the track but no luck.

My wheel is overly sensitive and I cant figure out how to put the shift up and shift down buttons on the paddles. Makes it VERY difficult to control the car. The *tiniest* movement from my hand is transfered to the car and I ended up wrecking over and over, lol.

Trying to work out the kinks now. I'll say one thing.. This game doesnt pull any punchs.. Its a bastard to keep the cars under control.

Thanks for that link Cruez, downloading now to check it out.

Guest bastaad525
you could get a cheap used playstation and get gt2... there's no z though... i've looked.

Um, all four gran turismo games had one or more generations of Datsun/Nissan Z in it.

Gran Turismo 2 and 4 both have S30 240z's as well, though they are the G-nose version with the bolt on fender flares. Still a 240 though :D

I believe GT 4 also had an S130 and Z31 as well.

GT2 - S30 Gnose, Z32

GT3 - Z32, Z33 concept

GT4 - S30 Gnose, S130, Z32, Z33

GT2 had a FairladyZ Gnose that made me fall in love with Z cars, GT3 is THE BEST driving simulator out there, and GT4 has an AWESOME selection of cars/tracks.

Ok so anyway, Gran Turismo 3 is THE BEST, BY FAR car game out there. The cars handle like they should and the tracks/graphics are AWESOME.

Ok so I know GT4 is the newest and "BEST" game out there but the DRIVING DYNAMICS ---------SUCK. Badly. Ok, so my 2005 M5 cant out-turn my 1996 Nissan pickup at 10MPH????? THe cars dont handle for ****. Cmon? Tires squealing and a 1000000000foot turning radius on the worlds best cars at what - 10mph? its ridulous.

I love the car selection and the tracks on GT4.. but if they had kept the GT3 driving dynamics that would be THE best game out there.

Oh well.

Anyway, as far as "FUN" factor, I really like Underground 2, and Most Wanted is pretty damn fun. More arcade style, but also, more fun to play because of all the unlocks.

Its all up to what kind of game you like.

GT4, INSANE as far as car selection and track seletion.

LFS has the best physics of any racing game i've played. Absolutely awsome.

And i find GT4 physics much closer to LFS than GT3 pysics. To be more blunt I dissagree with l28et. GT4 might not of fixed the low speed turning radius problem that GT3 had and even made it a little worse, but only beucase of limiting factors of the physics engine. GT4 has much more realistic tire grip that's much less forgiving of throttle ussage. The game is much more dynamic in the fact that unskilled players run MUCH slower than skilled players, unlike GT3 where anyone who understands proper line can be fast. GT4 has a much steeper learning curve wich in the end is better because it's a whole different level for the GT games.

But GT4 is still very unperfect. Brakes are still very unrealistic and have much more force than accelleration, becuase it's viewed as a "speed divider" and remotely effects traction, opposed to being purely just a reverse tracion aplication. Brakes are only liniar if you've got them set WAY high, otherwise flooring it will never lock the tires. Brakes could use alot of work.

Car selection is insane, but they don't have individual car backround like in GT3, just brief company over views.

But my BIGGEST beef with GT4? Tire wear!!!!!!!! How come it's impossible to get even the hardest compound tires to last more than 20 laps anywhere? TOTALLY unrealistic.

I have other beefs though. If anyone here ever played motor city online you know the kind of system I want for racing games. I want to choose what intake manifold I use, I want to choose my injector size, I want to choose my crankshaft material and weight, I want to choose what lift/duration cam I want to use for intake/exhast, I want to choose what compression I want my pistons to run, thus effecting motor wear/stability. How come such an old game can be so much better in this area? Becuase polyphony digital is out to make money. I'm sorry to break it to you guys, but they're not REAL car guys. They're posers that are first most about making money. Yes they know lots about cars, but they care much more about making the game "appealing to all" instead of what a racing game should be.

What's my number one liked thing about GT4??? The RING!!! I almost peed my pants when I found out the nurbrugring would be in GT4! And it's amazing how accurate it is in the game.

You can get a PS2 for around $110 with a game included (gamestop price) and then you can get GT3 for like $7 used. I'd do that, and once you beat GT3 go for GT4.

If you can't afford that, then go for LFS. If you can get past the crappy graphics it'll be worth your while.

You're kinda stuck though. You said you don't like single player games much, but you won't have internet, wich sucks.

If I was in your shoes, I'd bust out my old school consoles and start reliving the golden years of my youth. I'd play some (NES games) ze;da, super mario bros, karate, ridge racer, Pro AM, (SNES games) super mario world, street fighter 2 turbo, street fighter alpha 2, super street fighter, off road, zelda: a link to the past, maybe even some super mario bros: lost levels (N64) super mario 64, zelda: ocarina of time, world driver championship (best racer of the era by FAR), winback, star fox, (genesis) sonic, sonic 2, sonic 3.

I could go on, but why?

Have you ever played any of the sims games? If you can get into that kinda god game the sims 2 is horrible addiction. It could suck away years of your life without you realising it.

What systems DO you own? If you had any of the new consoles I could recomend some good budget games that are worth every penny.

Guest bastaad525

yeah I felt the dynamics were better on GT3 as well. But I also think you're exaggerating a little :D

I have played a hell of a lot of GT4 with the logitech racing wheel, the one with 2.5 turns lock to lock and a shifter knob. The only thing that really irks me is that all of the cars, regardless of drivetrain layout, seem to understeer way too much under hard braking. Whereas in GT3 it was no hard thing to get high powered RWD cars to oversteer in just about any situation. With a little time though I found that I can drive in GT4 as well as if not better than I did in GT3. GT4 really forces you to pay attention to amount of brake pedal you use, and WHEN to brake. You have to do all your slowing really before you even get into the turn, then hold steady speed thru and floor it at the apex. Drifting doesn't do you much good in GT4... but then, I don't see it getting used much in real life pro racing either :D

I love them both but the car and track selections really was a step down, from GT2 to GT3 which was a real shame.

If anyone here ever played motor city online
God I miss MCO. I started playing a week or two after release and kept on until they took it down. Great great game - it just needed a widre variety of cars to choose from IMO.

I played UO for 4 1/2 years and SB for about 2.

As to what I currently have console wise.. Nada. Well, my roommate has a Nintendo w. Duck Hunt. I spend *HOURS* playing that game. Ive taken it to rediculous levels. I actually fasioned a "holster" out of some cloth so I can draw on the ducks to make it more challenging.. lol.

Sadly I'm not gonna have the money to drop on a console + a game. Its pretty much a standing budget of about 40$.. Limits me to one game.. So I gotta choose wisely, hehe.

I guess im the only one here that got the KPGC10 Skyline GT-R in GT 2, you have to really go to the Nissan dealer every 10 days when they get new vehicles, but if you do you will have that car as well.

Its not to bad either, I think you can max it out at about 345 hp and it does have a turbo option for it, and in race trim it looks pretty mean.

As others have said, there is a white and maroon 240ZG as well plus the Z32's that are avaialable.

Also forgot to mention if you just like a fun racing game, you might want to check out Burnout3 Takedown, really fun racing game, lots of tracks, tons of cars, racing, taking out your competition, crash pileups, loads of fun.

I have GP Legends, F1 and my all time favorite is still Sports Car GT for PC based games. I didn't prefer Liveforspeed. It was ok, but the dynamics weren't any better than either of the three I have listed above. If you can, download all the add ons for GP legends... Very slick indeed.

Mike

Guest bastaad525

Just for the heck of it I went back and played some GT3 tonite... daaaaammmnnn!!! It really is a larger difference than I remembered. Drifting around turns is NO problem in that game, I tried a Supra and an Evo, both stock, and was sliding quite easily... damn that Supra is hard to drive though.

Whereas in GT4, it just plows thru every corner, understeering until you slow to a crawl... in 3 it is the most tail happy car ever.

3 is definately more fun... if only they had kept that handling for 4.

I have GP Legends

Do you mean GT Legends?

I downloaded a demo of GT Legends and DAMN but it is fun. I may have found the game I'll buy. The demo only has one track and like 3 cars. Jag I cant use (crashes my comp.. lol) Vette and a Lotus. GT Legends is a 50-70's era classic race car game, its pretty damn amazing. The physics are great, the graphics are top-notch, great sound and the "feel" is excellent.

It is very very difficult to play though. Ive been playing for about an hour now and I cant make it around the track without spinning or hitting a wall, heh. I have all the assists turned off except the auto clutch (not auto tranny.. it just simulates the clutch for me when I shift.) My wheel doesnt have a clutch pedal =[.

I figure with another 3-4 years of practice I'll be able to get through a race without hitting something.

Just for the heck of it I went back and played some GT3 tonite... daaaaammmnnn!!! It really is a larger difference than I remembered. Drifting around turns is NO problem in that game' date=' I tried a Supra and an Evo, both stock, and was sliding quite easily... damn that Supra is hard to drive though.

Whereas in GT4, it just plows thru every corner, understeering until you slow to a crawl... in 3 it is the most tail happy car ever.

3 is definately more fun... if only they had kept that handling for 4.[/quote']

You should see some of my drift runs in GT4 8) (900 degree mode of course)

The fact that's is harder to drift just shows that it's more realistic IMO. Sure GT3 is funner, but could never say it's more realistic.

GT Legends sounds like a fun game, maybe I'll go download the demo as well. And game that's as hard as that game sounds must be good :lol: