HybridZ

glowing CAT

Hi all,

This is not a Z but I figure I ask here. I have a Ford van with a V6 engine. It has 2 CATs. 1 for each bank of the 3 cylinders. The 1 CAT to 1 side of the bank is glowing red and the other one is normal. What is the problem with this car? I talked to another mechanic and he said the cylinders on that side has a misfire. What do you guys think? I check the spark plugs to that side and they are all firing good. Thanks for any info

This could either be a lean condition or a misfire. I believe that if it were a lean condition then the manifold on that side would also be glowing. I had a truck start doing that on both header collectors. It turned out that the new distributor that I bought had slipped and the truck was firing very late causing unburned fuel to dump into the exhaust and burn in the collectors. I would look for a bad plug wire or cap and rotor as these are the only things that I can think of to only effect one side or likely one cylinder. If one cylinder isn't firing then the unburned fuel will end up in the exhaust and would likely light off in or near the cat convertor.

the only time I have seen this is when I crossed 2 coil pack wires on my 350z during the supercharger install. (it was a long day), any way it was idling real rough, and while trying to diagnose it, I heard a pop from the cat. WHen I jacked the car up, the cat was red hot. I guess the fuel was burning in the cat instead of the cylinders, so my guess is a misfire.

In my 11 years of working for Jaguar on the line, at the dealership working on cars day in day out, I found on most glowing cat issues it was a cylinder not buring the fuel (Ignition failure) and dumping it into the exhaust. This cause the fuel to get trapped and burn in the cat itself which makes it glow cherry red. This melts down the cat. Trust me, Jaguar had a lot of this with the V12 cars. A LOT...

Second cause was clogged exhaust and backing up the system.

Never a lean condition. Is there something I'm missing?

It has the 3.8L engine. I doubt the CAT is clogged. This is a 1995 Van and it was well kept. It does has a new motor just installed and I didn't do the motor swap. I guess the guy who did the motor could have drop something in the exhaust and block it off somehow. Either way I have enough clues to go and find the problem. Thanks for all the response.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...