HybridZ

What is this Z look-alike car?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Not a good photo of the Toyota 2000. A real lost sales opportunity for Toyota. Datsun took the gamble and introduced the 240 Z to America and away we went.Millions sold

c'mon guys, you can't argue opinions cause you know what they say about them... it involves buttholes and smell.

on a side note, I don't really understand how it can be considered ugly - it's fron of a corvette and rx7 lines along with everything else coming from a Z, and with beautiful taillights...

toyota dropped the ball big on that car, to me, that thing is beautiful, and honestly, if it would have came off as hard as the z car did, i dont know which one i would be in, man stock that car had a dohc straight six with triple solexs on it and an irs. i would either have one with a v8 in it or a 2jz80 with a t78 or a 7mgte with fatman boost as well. too bad, or maybe too good.....

Guest Anonymous

Heres a rear view picture show its better lines, BTW it was a joint project with Yamaha:

image_02.jpg

toyota.jpg

Heres a quote on how the deal actually went down:

"The Toyota 2000GT started life as the Goertz-styled car that Nissan subcontracted to Yamaha in 1963. Nissan didn’t take up the project once the prototype was completed, so it was offered to Toyota with whom it was then co-developed. The design was very much European influenced, not least by Jaguar’s E-type."

Regards,

Lone

One of the lead designers of the 2000gt went on to help design the Z for Nissan. The one guy who had to sue Nissan to get credit for design, can't remember his name, the "self acclaimed" father of the Z. He seems like a kinda self righteous fella, far as I'm concerned the Z might be the only thing he had to offer the world. I'm not talkin about Mr. K, just to be clear...

Remember guys, LOCKJAW has his right to an opinion...If he thinks it is ugly, then to HIM it is. The marketing guys missed their mark with HIM, which means they would have lost a ptential customer in HIM! Nothing wrong with it... PErsonally I LOVE the car and wish more of them had made it stateside.

However, The Z did, and that's why we are here now!

Mike coollook.gif

As a couple of others have mentioned, the 2000gt came first, so actually, the Z was a 2000gt look-alike, not the other way around.

...And BTW, are we getting a little too sensitive to people having friendly disagreements? I didn't see anybody slamming Lockjaw for his opinion - I don't think that he needed anybody to come to his rescue here. :confused:

Side note: The 2000gt also came as a convertable. It stared in a James Bond movie. Wife says it was "You only live twice".

BTW, I agree with Mike. Lockjaw has full rights to his opinion, and I support that fully. Just friendly disagreement. I'd say the same thing to my best friend.

Guest Anonymous

I'd say that with my best friend too, but I'd probably add, 'Hoser', or 'DumbAss' Just kidding of course... Of course its an opinion, I have to agree the front grille IMHO is not very becoming at all, the Z and the Jag have it all over the 2k in the front end. The back and side of the 2k are pure beauty though. Note the tail lights, they look a bit like late model Nissan even way back there.

Oh yeah, Dan, did you see the post # on your last message? Spooky huh. :D

Regards,

Lone

I agree - the 2000 GT is a beautiful car, and the similarity in prifile to the Z, especially on the back half, is stunning. Don't you wish they'd put the Z's filler cap where the 2000 GT's is? That looks awesome.

I just got through reading an article on the convertible. Turns out there were only 337 cars sold, and only two convertiles were produced by the factory. After the Bond film wrapped production, one was lost, and the article says the other one ended up in Toyota's Tokyo museum. (Perhaps the one that was lost was found at the Blackhawk museum by Donna?)

A dentist in England tried to buy the 2000GT from the museum to put in his "cars of the stars" collection and was soundly rebuffed, so he found another one in poor condition in Africa, chopped the top, and had it restored. The producers of the Bond film even sent him the TV control panel that went behind the seats to make it authentic! It's a neat story, and a neat car that should be remembered. Too bad most of us won't ever have the chance to see one in the flesh.