HybridZ

According To Mas280, I'm Heavy Z!!!

Once again, no offence Brett!!! Mike Knell was over Mike's house (mas280) on Sunday with his scales. My Z weighed in at 2941. Still have the bumpers on it. I have MSA 4 point bar and alot of stereo equipment. Other than that the norm. And a full tank of gas, no driver and R200/q45.

Here's the numbers.......

R/F 692 L/F 718

R/R 756 L/R 776

Weight dist. 48/52

JOEY

Once again' date=' no offence Brett!!! Mike Knell was over Mike's house (mas280) on Sunday with his scales. My Z weighed in at 2941. Still have the bumpers on it. I have MSA 4 point bar and alot of stereo equipment. Other than that the norm. And a full tank of gas, no driver and R200/q45.

Here's the numbers.......

R/F 692 L/F 718

R/R 756 L/R 776

Weight dist. 48/52

JOEY[/quote']

Take that 4 point bar and put it in my Z,It's a good way to loose weight.

Joey was kind enough to let me drive his car. I didn't drive his car hard, I only drove it to check out the drivability, and the feel.

When you step on the gas, it accelerates smoothly, and with no drama.

Even though Joey's Z weighs more than most people expected, the car drives nicely, and doesn't have a tinny feel, like some stripped Z cars.

According to Road & Track magazine, the published weight of a 1977 Z is 2875 lbs.

Joey's car, which has a roll bar, stereo, larger-than-stock tires/wheels, a Q45 differential, beefy half-shafts, huge cv-joints, and a much larger-than-stock exhaust system, only weighs about 65 lbs more than the published curb weight of a stock 6-cylinder 280Z.

If the car is not for drag racing only, don't worry about the weight. Over 400 RWHP is still very fast in a 2900 pound car.

How much time will you knock off the 1/4 mile if you reduce the weight by 100 pounds? 1 tenth? Maybe 2 tenths.

Enjoy that fast car, Joey. It doesn't matter how much it weighs.

Mine weighs 2540 but it's a 240Z. No roll bar. It does have a stereo that probably adds 25-30 pounds. Once I upgrade the brakes and the diff I bet I add 50-75 pounds to it and then the sound proofing will add another 50 pounds but hey, it is a weekend cruiser so it should be comfy, right?

I always mention PeteP's 240Z weight... He's pushing near 2900# with his 72 240Z. He does have what appear to be some pretty heavy wheels (ALthough looks may be deceiving) and he has some stout material welded into the car for frame rails and other bracing/ structural supports/ 4 point welded in bar. Pete's car also has an R200 with CV axles and dual exhaust system.

I don't think these car weights are bad. If you get under 3000# with full interior, A/C, heat, stereo, sound proofing and all the other stereo/ creature comforts, you're still doing good. And as Mr. JTR himself points out (Thanks for chiming in Mike!), the later year 280Zs aren't known for being lightweights! :lmao:

Most cars with the kind of power you're pushing will outweight you by atleast a few hundred pounds. Think about who will want to roll up against you at a stoplight... Most drivers who own hot cars can't drive worth crap, and the few guys who will be able to take you probably don't drive hard on the street anyway! :2thumbs:

Mike

My 1978 280Z with a semi-tube frame (much of it 1.75†0.134â€-thick mild-steel DOM tubes) and an all-cast-iron big block Chevy engine weighed in at 2725 lbs. This was a completely stripped car, with a lot of the unibody cut out and most stock bolt-ons removed, but with essentially stock suspension and a pretty heavy drivetrain. Weight as measured on four scales, one under each tire. With aluminum heads, fiberglass hood, gutted doors and a few other mods, I’m hoping that the new weight will hit 2600 or better.

I’ve driven Pete’s car, and it really was surprising that the weight came out as high as it did. However, when you close a door in his car, you’re rewarded with a throaty, reassuring “clickâ€, like in a modern luxury car. When you close a door in my car, it sounds like kicking a garbage can. So, the moral of the story is, an all-around solidly-built car WILL have a weight penalty, whereas there’s considerable weight savings in a tin-can stripper. It all depends on your objective….