HybridZ

Overcoming S30 front camber limitations

Guys' date='

I run out of thread on my steering tie rod ends when I try to wind in anywhere near decent track camber settings. Has anyone used spacers or other components to fix this problem? I want 3-4 degrees and am nowhere near it with the std rack/tie rod ends.

Thanks,

Dave[/quote']

Uh, aren't tie rods for adjusting toe? Camber would be length of LCA or strut bolting point up top...

Dave

You should check, but I believe one way to get more adjustment is to use the track rods off a 280 which are a bit longer (1/2 inch or so)

The problem is that they are both rh thread, whereas the 240/260 is rh and lh thread.

What you have to do is get a spare steering rack and swap the rh thread rack end fitting into your rack on the car. With 2 rh thread ends you can then use the 280 track rods on your rack and get some more adjustment.

The problem that you are encountering is one of the reasons that I don't like using the lower control arms to adjust camber. I use the camber plates for that.

On my car, I have done the front crossmember mod(relocated the hole for the LCA up 3/4" and out 1/4"). This, with the stock length lower control arms, pretty much eliminated bump steer. As a side effect however, it also pretty much decoupled the camber and toe of the car (when adjusting using camber plates). By that, I mean that I can change the camber with very little effect on the toe.

On a car where you adjust camber using the lower control arm, you have to realign the toe for even a slight camber adjustment.

At one time, I had the eccentric bushing to adjust my front camber. I replaced them after one of the eccentrics rotated during an autocross event. My car all of a sudden went from 2 degree negative camber and 1/8" toe out to 0.5 degrees positive camber (on the RF wheel) and 3/4" toe out.

These of course are my own personal opinions, and as such are no better than those of anyone else.

Dan

I plan to install camber plates on my Z, along with my control arms/ TC ROds and I've already done the bump steer mod. The longer Tie rod mod is definately something that is required for more than 2 degrees, maybe up to 2.5 degrees negative camber with just lower arms.

Terry, got any pics of those??

Mike

There are changes to the toe even with the use of camber plates as well. Not to the extent that would happen by moving the CA in/out, but still enough to warrant toe adjustments in some cases.

The adapter I fabricated was the end of a Ford tie rod end welded to a 1/2" bolt. The Ford end screwed onto the rack, and the 1/2" threaded portion screwed into the rod end.

standard.jpg

The adapter I fabricated was the end of a Ford tie rod end welded to a 1/2" bolt. The Ford end screwed onto the rack' date=' and the 1/2" threaded portion screwed into the rod end.

[img']http://www.fototime.com/084E9427A2B0903/standard.jpg[/img]

Did you make any mods to the LCA mounting position?

How does it feel with all of the nuts on there? Looka a little scarry to me.:shock:

Thanks guys. Dan, I realise the best way to adjust camber is at the top as you are quite right, its a pain resetting the toe every time you made a change. That being said, you have to move the LCA outwards even more to get the range of adjustment I want at the top given the mounting of the strut (stock) is already at the inner edge (closest to middle of car). So you are stuck with the problem of needing the LCA longer (unless you relocate it as you have mentioned, but too scary for me at this stage I think).

I like Terry's solution of heim linking the steering arm. Did you use the standard steering arm there terry?

Dave

Pushing the LCA's out by whatever means is one way of getting more track, a good thing for the S30.

The eccentric camber adjusters on mine have never slipped, probably has something to do with their design because the same design is used in a lot of targa cars. And if they don't slip in that application............

Pushing the LCA's out by whatever means is one way of getting more track, a good thing for the S30

good point, especially in the front according to suspension guru JohnC

The eccentric camber adjusters on mine have never slipped, probably has something to do with their design because the same design is used in a lot of targa cars. And if they don't slip in that application............

So do tell Richard.... what brand of eccentric bushing are those? Because all the folks who race say they slip and for IT it would be really cool to find some that don't.