HybridZ

Battery Cutoff switches... Where do you mount yours?

Mikelly

I'm almost done with all the wiring on this car and am down to the 5 circuit moroso switch box/ starter button and the battery cutoff... My car will have no wondows other than windshield and rear hatch and no door hardware as the nascar bars have taken that space...

Can you guys post some of yours? Location recommendations would be good too! I know a lot of guys put them at the rear panel, but I'm trying not to do that.

Recommendations???

Mike

Hello Mike,

We oringinaly installed our inside the fuel door. Since we running a fuel cell it was just not used to fill gas anymore. After we ran the car a few times and it was so fast I decided to move it to the rear of the car so if we had a misfortune at the track, it was in clear view for someone to kill the power.

Hope this helps.

Mike you may want to mount two swithes: one where the driver has access and one where the folks (in the grandstands) could get to it. Now I have "experience" in cutoff switches since I bought a half dozen plastic ones at Harbout Freight on sale with my maxed Master card. On my wifes car. I hooked it right up next to the battery and on the negative cable This works great for a battery saver until some electrical part gets grounded !!!!!!!!!!!!! (and things start getting out of control). I do apreciate your efforts and work in keeping this board civil and professional without the riff-raff. Merry X mas and the New Year finds you packing your consultant fees home in wheel borrow or packsack.

Mike has high security clearance, and a lot of security experience. He has no need of of a wheel barrow or a packsack. His payments are directly deposited in his Numbered Swiss Bank Account, then automatically transfered to his off-shore account in the Caymen Islands. From there it wanders through a few South American countries until it ends up in the Corvette and Z parts accounts. Somehow money appears in Donna's account, but we're not sure how he does that yet. That's why he's in such demand and so well paid, all the Black Budget people are requesting his services. I heard two CIA agents broke down and cried while attempting to unravel Mike skills, the rest just kept saying "We're not worthy, We're not worthy......."

Oh, I mounted my cut off switch on the side of the battery case so I could reach it from the drivers seat (I moved the battery to behind the passenger seat). I figured I could add a long bar or cable to the rear for an external control if i ever need it.

- Joe

I placed mine under the passenger side quarter window (street use). I can reach it from the driver's seat, but still have access to it from the other side of the car as well (I've got no windows either but I removed it from the window opening to just under the window on the inside of the car). I placed mine on the positive wire as the negative wire is grounded right off the battery in back. I don't use a key, so as soon as I buckle in, I turn the switch on and I'm hot.

The battery is a small Odyssey 680 unit and I mounted it behind the passenger seat area against the wall where the boxes used to be for storage... I removed those two years ago when I severed an artery! :shock:

Anyway, I ended up mounting it at the driver's side 1/4 window with some self tapping screws until I get to the point where I'm welding the brackets for the cage. Then I'll tack weld the bracket to the cage and the window ledge. I also ran all the battery cable today and mounted my switch/ starter box in the console... Managed to run a drill into my hand just below the wrist as a small drill bit broke on me in the process... Can you say PAIN? :lmao:

Anyway, I'm down to wiring the switch box and about 20 wires and then I can test it all!

After that, I'm gonna start on the rear diff mounting for the R230, and start spending money on clutch hardware!

Mike :cool:

When I did mine I used a RV latching relay on the ground

cable with a Ford fuel pump inertia switch connected to

the relay. In the event of a accident the power is cut

automatically by the inertia switch. Here is some info

What it is

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-converters/002733.htm

Where I put it and why its on the ground cable

http://www.mercurycapri.com/technical/electric/ks.html

How it works

http://windsurf.mediaforte.com/roadtrek/5322019100.pdf

The Battery and relays (one for the starter) are behind the pass

seat with a button at the battery box that will reset the latching

relay after it has been turned off by me or the inertia switch.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone done this to their Z?

I used to own a Saab 900S and I loved the fact that the ignition switch was in the cosole, not on the dash. They had good reason for doing that as they studied crash data, they found more people suffered knee injuries on their right leg due to it hitting the key during a frontal accident.

I also want to install a keyed battery key in my console, and replace the ignition switch with a cool starter button on my console also. My only question would be do you actually run a length of the thick gauge wire from the negative post connector all the way to the switch and back?

I love the idea of being able to jump in and press the button and it starts, but how do you all turn the car off?:toetap05: