HybridZ

Advise on Honda plz

GrayZee

I recently picked up a 88 Crx. It needs a fair bit of fixing up but I got it really cheap so I guess that's ok.. I'm a little unsure about the model, it's SUPPOSED to be a Si but I have my doubts. It does have a multiport intake but it also has a auto trans and drums for rear brakes. I have by no means a expert on Honda's but I thought all Si's had 5-speeds and 4 wheels discs. Anyway, I got it to be a daily driver that won't suck back the fuel like my other cars.. :roll: plus I've always had a soft spot for those little cars (although never as much as the Z) I haven't had a chance to put it on the road yet, but I'm thinking that with a auto trans it will be a little bagged in the power department. So I was thinking about what I can do to remedy that without going too crazy. I also wanna keep the auto trans (the gf likes it and a change from always driving stick is nice too) A friend suggested a B series engine swap but that seems a little more pricey than I would want to go. I read up on how easy it is to turbocharge a D series engine and I think I might just do it. Unfortunatly I have found that it is not very easy to find comprehensive info on Honda's. So I was wondering if anyone here could give me any insight. Some of the things I am wondering about is...

How much power do you think you can put to a D16 safely?

How much can the auto trans take?

What sort of limits are there on the stock injectors/ecu ect..

Thanks in advance.. :)

I don't know much about Hondas but from the little I have read the ZC motor sounds like a good swap if your trying to save money, you can get one from Nippon-Motors for under $400. I belive it is a 1.6L twin cam but w/o vtec but it makes a good amount of power. And I think it's a direct bolt in swap.

And I am not sure but I doubt it is an Si. And if it isn't an Si I don't think it will have a d16 but probably a d15. On my friends Civic it says D15 right on the block. I am guessing on a lot of this stuff but most if it should be right. If you want I can ask some of my friends for some links to some Honda sites.

Rob

the 4 wheels disks didn't arive till 90 and 91 i beleive, as for wether it's an "SI" the HF also had multipoint injections but the "HF" (High Fuel) lacked a rear sway bar, and the interior in general was cheaper and has less insulation, smaller gas tank no sunroof, all the SI models came with factory sunroof and I thougth they were all manuals as well

the auto trannies aren't known for their abulity to handle loads of power (I'd stay away from turbo if you want to save the auto trans)

I've seen the stock internals put 250 whp so you have plenty of room to mod before the engine becomes the weak link)

the fuel injectors are rather limited, thats why you see all the afpr's on lightly modified cars (that and it's a cheap easy part to upgrade)

as for the ZC it is a good inexpensive swap, I put a browntop zc into my 87 si and hit it with the nitrous till it popped (an 80 shot without any timing retard was the breaking point (lesson learned))

the b series is a huge pain and requires a trans swap as well as halfshafts and ecu and wiring changes, the ZC only requires slight wiring changes and the ecu is optional but does allow for a higher redline

The B16 can be done fairly cheep. Motor/tranny/wiring harness even JDM shouldn't cost more than $1300 if you're shopping in the right place. The problem is so many places sell for more, so finding the good places can be hard. If I were looking for a B16 I wouldn't spend a penny over 1k for motor/tranny from japan and then spend the little bit of money for all your wiring. It's hard to find JDM motors with uncut hardness (many of them advertise uncut, but they really are cut.

A turbo system isn't going to be much if at all cheeper. It will be alot easier though. stock bottom end should be able to take 200hp forever and not become a weak link. And a 150hp CRX should be in the mid-low 14s wich isn't too slow for a 30mpg commuter. I'd still take a B16 for the way it revs, but there are still cheeper resolutions for power. Frankenstein motors are nice. Lots more tourqe and cheeper than a B16 swap. You take the B16 head and mate it to an LS B18A block. This gives you a cheep block that will take enough HP potential within reason and adds the high rev ability of the Vtech head. Great street combo.

Having built an B18LS and done a Vtec Swap onto an LS, I can tell you that the rods on the B series motors are junk and will fail.

My youngest stepson is now driving a 94 Civic Hatch with a B16Vtec and a T3/4 turbo swap. The thing is a mini missile. But we're waiting for it to pop. The motors aren't built for longevity and durability. Sure, you CAN throw nitros or a turbo on it and get some mileage out of it... But much like any bomb, the clock is ticking... Pin is pulled... When it blows is the question, not if! :wink:

http://tech.hybridgarage.com/ This site is one of the few I would use for accurate information... But be forewarned... These guys are even more strict with their site than we are here! :lmao:

Mike :cool:

A friend of mine has a Civic Sir with a B16 and I love the way is sounds when the Vtec hits. It's a nice deep roar, not some cheezy fart can sound. However the thing has no low end torque at all. You have the rev the hell out of it to make any kind of power. Being the cheap SOB that I am, I don't wanna spend over $1000 on a engine, and I figure that a turbo D engine will probably make more power overall and have better low end torque. If I pick up a HF manifold at the wreckers (for probably $10) and make the adapter plate the swap can be done on a really tight budget. In fact I think I'll make a game out of how little I can spend... Ha ha ha.. The ZC swap sounds like a good plan, but I think I'll go that route AFTER I blow the original motor from boosting it. LOL It should be easy enough to swap the turbo stuff to a ZC afterwards.

Thanks for the link Mikelly, finding acurate info is always a problem with Hondas. I mean most of those forums are full of 16 year old kids talking smack, and don't have any real knowledge. It's sad to have to come here asking for info on a Z site but at least I know most people here have a good idea what they are talking about ;) Does anyone know a good link for info on D series engines? Turbo ones in particular?

go d16y8 (sohc vtec) and turbocharge it. keep it low boost so it stays reliable, but fun! :]

Could you tell me a little more about that engine? There is someone locally that has a D16y8 head for sale cheap. Does the head just bolt on? Any mods that need to be done?

If its an Si, it will not have an auto tranny (Si's had close ratio 5 speed only) unless somebody switched it to an auto ?? Orig motor would be D16A6 and it may or may not have rear drums (mine had drums).

I like the D16 turbo motor - its different than everybody that did the B16 swap thing and H22 motors are heavy compred to the B and D series motors. A well built D16 will run 300 - 350 Hp on the street reliably (well tuned). I've got a 35000 mi D16 in the garage to build into turbo when I find the next good rust free CRX shell.

also got a really cheap CRX SI this last week.

its a 89 and has drums. it is a SI.

doing a K20A swap!

mike

now thats power right there, i had a turbo k20a3 in my 02' civic si. I sold the kit to fund my Z. Hondas are really fun to drive around even without any mods. I say if you can get the D16y8 (96+ EX) go for it, it should be well less than 700 and is one of the stronger D series motors. You can find used DIY turbo kits on http://www.honda-tech.com or build one yourself. They're really easy to work on and you shouldnt have a problem turboing it.

Well I did find out some info at D-series.org. Of course first the car has to get fixed up to be roadworthy, but eventually I'm gonna turbo it. I will keep my eyes open for a HF style exhaust manifold and do the adapter thing (it looks TOO easy!) Anyway, I've been looking at turbo options and was considering a Garrett Gt15: http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT15/GT1548_466755_3.htm

It's a little smaller than most of the turbo's that D series guys run but I want to set myself at a limit in a attempt to not blow up the auto tranny LOL! The Gt15 is supposed to be good for 200hp and that's really the most I wanna go anyway. Plus it has a pretty reasonable price tag ($495) I'm just wondering what you guys think, I'm imagining that it will spool up like crazy! Pehaps too much, giving me alot of wheelspin problems even in sub-normal driving.. Ha ha..

Any thoughts?