HybridZ

Rb26dett 240z

Guest pat_riot88

Guest strokerZ

I wasnt even suggesting that cost had anything to do with upgrading the internals (i.e forged pistons, rods etc). I think that it is unfair to give someone the idea that this swap can be done cheaply...IT CANT. Do it..and keep the receipts. Viola...I have spoken with you before and I know that you have an awesome setup...but as you know as well...things add up...have you looked at your receipts lately...I just did for my last build...scared the ****out of me...but hey..you gotta pay to play:twisted: .

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that it is unfair to give someone the idea that this swap can be done cheaply...IT CANT. Do it..and keep the receipts.

I dont think that just the engine for $6K is that cheap, just for parts. If the engine & ECU will run about $4K, another $2K should be more than enough for all the other basics. Remeber I'm just talking about a mostly stock engine, nothing else. Not including the purchase of the car, the chassis will need about $4K in mods, plus another $1500 to upgrade the drivetrain, and $1K for the GTS tranny.

You do not need to upgrade anything but the ecu to get 350hp from an RB26. Whats with all this rebuild' date=' N1 pump etc. non-sense? I suspect someone on a budget (I use that word loosely) just wants to get a decent low mileage motor in and running.

Sometime's its hard to figure out what a swap costs to complete when people make statements like "My swap cost 50k...and that included every nut and bolt, cryogenically frozen, not to mention the rebuild of my garage to accommodate the extra room needed and newly installed hydraulic lift", as if people can't already figure out the cost for new brakes and an r200.[/quote']

I got 350rwhp out of mine with just upraded to SDSefi

once i upgraded the injectors to 680 adn turned booste up to 15 PSI i got 392rwhp. No n-1 stuff on mine.

its really rpm related when the N-1 stuff comes into play.

I actually tried this a few years ago but I didn't like it. I mostly did turbine kits as the SupraStore was asking more than twice what the kits LIST for in Japan. I did "JDM" lights/bumbers/grills, rims, and I also sold a factory rebuilt motor and two wreck pulls and (one of my best finds) a set of ALCON 6 pots with steel lines and 355mm rotors for $1200. The real problem is the issue of trust. I only sent things that were in good condition. I would only charge on average cost and shipping plus a 10-15% overhead. Still people would complain or try to tell me I cheated them. I ALWAYS offered to give them their money back if they shipped the items back, and they would never do it. I assume they were just looking for a cheap way out. The money I made went into my R32, but mostly I was just trying to help people out. I got tired of the whining after the effort I put forth. That doesn't mean I don't do it at all....small items I can have delivered straight to my home and turn around and ship, I don't mind so much. I don't think I want to do motors anymore.

Well...check EBAY for RB26 motors and half cuts in North America. Something decent (completely stock) is gonna run about 4-5K. Junk is much cheaper of course...ask some on this site that have bought motors that were good for anchors. And then there are the bits and pieces needed for a "mild" upgraded motor. And then there are all the custom pieces ot make it all work...so it adds up. I know from doing my previous turbo stroker peoject that you take the price you envision ...then add 50 to 100% more and you probably have an accurate budget (its all the "small" stuff that adds up)...LOL...Anyhow...if you have a good business plan maybe you could get into the exporting game? :icon3:

I thought the Z would have been cheaper in Aus. Or is that the cost with the resoration?

Yes the 14K as I stated was restored with new seats, dash, everything.

I plan to use the aircond, radiator, I/C, standard turbos, etc as well, but will depend on them being ok

regards Mike

Thanks for the info, and about the 510, I really prefer 240z's. I know a local shop here that has done a RB26DETT swap into a Z, the guy that did Rick Wong's 240z that just sold on the buy&sell. I was really looking for one already done, but I might just have to buy the rolling chassis and get the engine installed here.

Hi pat_riot88, I'm not sure where you got the info from, but I did the first engine swap into a 240Z about six-and-a-half years ago, and I did all the research and development, custom design and machining, and put the car together myself, with only my friend, a Japanese mechanic, who sourced parts and information in Japan. I had someone bore the engine and balance the pistons, which is the standard things people pay people to do. There was not a local shop involved in the building of this car. I didn't ever pay anyone for any work to put the car together, only my own labor.

If you need me to build you one, let me know. I have a rolling chassis here ready to go.

Can't wait to see pics of the rebuild/paint when you're done strokerZ (Andrew). It's nice to know my car is still floating around and didn't get smashed up or stolen. I'll get the answers to the rest of your questions answered this weekend.

Rick

Stokerz, the comment wasn't meant to be made directly at you. I have looked at my receipts, and have to keep reminding myself that horsepower is my anti-drug to justify the money spent :-) Actually, I was just trying to stay in line with what stony posted earlier.

I know it cost a lot of money to do an rb swap, but you don't have to have an unlimited amount of money. A 20k budget is still a budget. I don't like the fact that when someone wants to "budget" an rb swap people make statement's like "well if you want to do it on a budget you can't afford it."

You don't have to be a genius to know that a high hp car needs brakes and suspension upgrades. There's no reason someone can't swap the motor in and then do those latter upgrades anyway. Actually I think it's the best way to do it IMO because once the motor is in and running, you have the inspiration to do the rest.

Sorry for rambling, its just that when someone wants to search what the actual "swap" costs, its hard to really know when people add in all the obvious stuff with it, thats all. BTW I appreciate everyone's advice on here. It has been a real help to me.

I know it cost a lot of money to do an rb swap' date=' but you don't have to have an unlimited amount of money. A 20k budget is still a budget. I don't like the fact that when someone wants to "budget" an rb swap people make statement's like "well if you want to do it on a budget you can't afford it."

[/quote']

I hear you on that one! Excluding the car, I don't see why I can't do my swap for around $6-7K. This would be keeping the RB mostly stock. After the motor is in I can start to "tweak" every thing else out. And when I'm ready for more power I'll do what needs to be done in stages. (And by ready I mean $$$$$$$)

I know that in the end I would have spend around $25K, including the car, to do everything that I want to do. But that doesn't mean that I need $25K in my bank right now. I figure that with my work schedule, and family time, it will take around 2 years to get it all done. Of course I would love to take 3 months off of work, and does this swap full time, but I just don't got it like that.

Well I know that a lot of the money I spent was wasted on ignorance...parts I didn't need. I got nickeled and dimed to death on stupid stuff. I believe that the more people who give thourough and comprehensive write-ups on the swap, the easier and cheaper it will become, due to less trial and error.

Kudos to members like stony and quoc who have blessed us with such documentation. I've seen people on here who said they completed their rb25 swap for 8k. Later I posted a thread asking the major difference in rb25/26 swap. The general concensus was 2k. How that turned into 25k I'm not sure, but then again, I haven't swapped in an rb.

Guest strokerZ

Violacleff...your last post is pretty much bang on. The cost of these swaps is bound to come down as more are done...the first guys to do it deserve the credit...without them and all those that chime in with advice and suggestions there is no way that many of us would even consider doing this stuff. I am not a mechanic by trade and just by reading, reading and reading I am amazed at the knowledge I have amassed...however I dont believe everything I read...and it is always good to question. Ed260z...your approach is well thought out...dont have to do everything at once...I dont think anyone is ever really finished! ....its the old "while im at it":) This board rocks!!:rockon:

My RB26DETT 240Z will be up on ebay by spring...

http://album.hybridz.org/uploads/8435/SSZfront.JPG

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/709284

1973 240Z

motor

- R33 RB26DETT

- 3†stainless exhaust with Dynomax Ultra flow muffler

- Stock fuel tank modified

- Apexi GTR intercooler

- Areomotive fuel pump

- SDS computer

- HKS boost controller

- HKS blow off valve

- RC 550cc injectors

transmission

- GTS-T 5 speed

- Nismo quick shifter

diff

- 300zx r200

- ZXT CV’s

body

- House of color “Kandy Organic Greenâ€

- shaved marker lights and door handles

- tint

interior

- Momo steering wheel

- Momo shift knob / boot

- Momo RS2 GT seats

- laser cut aluminum fan / vent / heat / five 2-1/8 gauge panel

- Auto meter gauges ten of them

- Viper alarm

- New carpet

wheels / suspension / brakes

- Motegi MR7 17x7 wheels

- Falken Azenis 225/45 R17

- Ground Control coil overs

- Tokico 5-ways

- Energy suspension bushings

- SCCA rear 240sx /300zx rear brake kit

Any idea how much you will be asking?

I think im going to see what ebay bidding brings it up to... im open to offers. I want to install a painless harness 1st before I sell it.

What I want will be alot less than all the parts that are in the car... not including the year of my life.

Hope you are selling after april, after I get my bonus, gift from my boss, and the raise. I wanted to build a SR/RB or LS powerd Z for so long. For a newbie like me(never work on a car before except oil change and replace the door handle), it probably eaiser to "mod" instead of build.