HybridZ

Now you guys have me thinking...

and that's dangerous enough for sure...!

I have a Z32TT and the engine isn't gonna last more than another year or so before I have to start rebuilding it. High $!

So, with you who have actually done or are pretty much done with the Z32-LS swap, I have some questions.

1. How much for the engine/trans? New? Used?

2. Stock clutch?

3. What wiring needs to be changed/spliced in?

4. How long to do the swap for an experienced person?

5. Is only the firewall/trans tunnel cut? Nothing else?

Keep in mind that this is my daily driver, it has to be cheap and the swap done pretty fast. The rest of my money will continue to go the 240Z.

I read most of the threads here, you'll see my name in posts from 2003-2004 and I haven't really found the answers I'm looking for. If it's too much money or too much time, I'll run the VG30DETT to the ground and simply replace it.

Thanks!

Owen

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I wouldn't perform the LS swap on TT. It's already built and provisioned with a very potent motor. If you're seriously intent on it, sell the TT and purchase a Geo and another Z32 and go from there. The car will be lighter, less cluttered, no HICAS, etc. Good luck whichever route you choose, though.

do it!

as much as im a fan of the VG30DETT, its just not in the same league as a LS series motor.

ive seen ls1's with t56 and harness go for as little as 2500 to say 3500.. maybe a tad more.

i would upgrade teh clutch to say a Spec unit, do it while its out of the car, specs are pretty cheap on price but great on quailty. wouldnt get more then a stage 3.

number 3 and 5 im not sure about but from watching you build ur 240Z and speaking to ya, i think you could get it done within say a few weeks time if your work on it.

its no more work then some of the projects we do at work and we get them done with in 2 weeks time with some breaks.

do it and have fun!

mike

Hey Owen!

From LS1 expierence in my S30 and soon to be LS1-FD, I can only answer 1-3.

1. Used LS1 pull out... Anywhere from 3500.00 to 5000.00 for a complete pull out. (engine, trans, wiring, ecu, acc, everything)

2. Z06 clutch works great! Scroggin & Dickey for good prices.

3. Wiring.. Pretty much only have to hook up like 5 wires for the LS1 to run. Power, grounds, fans, fuel pump. Forgetting one? Vats needs to be bypassed. How to adapt to a Z32TT, Not sure, I would think with a wiring diagram, Shouldn't be too hard!

I believe It's been done by at least one person on this site. And I thought they had some kind of manual for sale?.

JOEY

Vann on this site did the swap in his Z32.

he has a few good friends on this site too that maybe can get in touch with him.

he is a houston guy too so maybe somebody in this big *** town can get in touch with him so he can help ya out.

mike

• 2 weeks later...
....This IS Hybrid Z you know!

Owen' date=' DO IT[/quote']

DD is right. There are enough non-turbo 2+0s, 2+2s, slicktops, and convertibles out there for $5000 and less. There's no excuse for performing it on a twin turbo.

Being capable of 800rwhp with new turbos, fuel, and bottom end without having to make your own gauge cluster is not an option many car enthusiasts have. :)

So' date=' with you who have actually done or are pretty much done with the Z32-LS swap, I have some questions.

Keep in mind that this is my daily driver, it has to be cheap and the swap done pretty fast. [/quote']

Owen,

Are you willing to deal with the Calif Smog Cert with the LS1 installation?:x

Hanns

Don't worry, it is funding my project! But now my daily driver is sufferering...

And I don't care if it's a TT now or not, when it dies, it will be nothing! I don't want to go through the hassle of finding another shell, I want to work with what I have. I don't understand why people say if it's a TT don't do it and if it's an NA or 2+2NA then do it. It's only a Z32 to me.

Hanns, yes, I intend to get it certified if I do it.

I've thought about import engines but they are so hit and miss. If I do get another VG30DETT, it'll be a US model.

Now if I could only find a wrecked Camaro or something with an LS1.

There's no excuse for performing it on a twin turbo.

How many do you want me to name? :-)

Being capable of 800rwhp with new turbos' date=' fuel, and bottom end without having to make your own gauge cluster is not an option many car enthusiasts have. :)[/quote']

At TT.net, the members have no idea of how to make their own gauge cluster (see my other thread on my rant), so they have to drop $3,000 on turbos! Way too much money for me, especially since it's only a daily driver.

Two S15 turbos and Silvia intercoolers would be the most I would do, along with a conversion to top feed injectors. Maybe a single TB plenum too.

I have a TT as well. It is my daily driver. Sure, it is a great car... fun to drive... looks good... but it is a pain in the neck (and the wallet) to work on.

Not only are parts for that turbo motor absurdly expensive, but the design of the engine requires one to practically pull out and tear down the entire engine to do any work to it. Just changing the driver's side O2 sensor is terrible.

I've contemplating transplanting something else in there numerous times, but ultimately decided against it. Partially, it is because I am sentimental... there weren't a whole lot of these cars made. For example, if I had an original '67 Camaro Z/28 I wouldn't change it from stock for sentimental reasons.

But, another reason is money. The TT is a very popular car and draws a pretty good price. When the time comes that I'm fed up with the TT, I will sell it, buy something cheaper and have cash left over.

Just my 2 cents.

Yea, guys but I think two factors are seriously being overlooked...

#1. The TT motor is about to take acrap on Owen.

#2. This is HybridZ and we DO NOT take lightly the whole "purist" view on ANY zcar.

If the TT300ZX was as coveted as a last gen Supra, and was pulling $20K+ in resale, I would say "maybe you want to refresh the powerplant and sell it to move onto something else". But they don't. You can get them all day long for under $15K and I've seen good condition examples go for under $10K if you wait and shop for the right deal.

Owen, It isn't "that" rare. If the motor is on its last leg, time to punt or hybrid the thing. :2thumbs:

Again, We're HYBRIDZ. If he asked this on Zcar.com, I could see the cheerleaders coming out to defend keeping it stock. We aren't. We're HybridZ. :toetap05:

Them's the rules.

Mike

owen dont go LT1 or LT4.. iron block is a no no in a Z32 V8 swap.

i found a wrecked 2001 Z28 with LS1 and T56 for $2900.

its forsale here in houston. NO CLUE if its still forsale but its a great deal.

ebay is ur best bet too.

mike

Thanks guys!

John, you are right about the engine being a pain to work on, I hate it.

Mike, I agree with you completely. I only want to keep the body style the same, the powerplant doesn't matter as long as it is good.

ON3GO, thanks for the advice. I'll just keep waiting. I have a long commute and am thinking I will just replace the consumables until the engine is completely dead.

Owen