HybridZ

datsun vs neighbors

Oleh

today is the 4 time a neighbor came to complain about my noise....are there any legal precautions i should take, can they do anything legally against me ? Its a townhome complex, and i work in the garage usually from 4-8 sometimes 9 all the time. My assosiation rules dont say anything, and i dont think im braking any laws....Can the assosiation prohibit me working on the Z in the garage ?

Complaing about noise in the garage???

Come on!

Just check to see if the complex has quiet hours or anything like that, and also, at least in my hometown, anything before 8-9 that us THAT noisy the police don't care about.

We had the cops called on us at 5pm because we were having a barbeque in a friend's backyard and playing some music that was all that loud.

The cop just came, told us about the complaint, laughed, and left....

I hate those kinds of neighbors....

Not to thread jack, but where in Chicago are you? I'm in Evanston, but sadly with no Zs.

Mario

Complaing about noise in the garage???

Come on!

Just check to see if the complex has quiet hours or anything like that' date=' and also, at least in my hometown, anything before 8-9 that us THAT noisy the police don't care about.

We had the cops called on us at 5pm because we were having a barbeque in a friend's backyard and playing some music that was all that loud.

The cop just came, told us about the complaint, laughed, and left....

I hate those kinds of neighbors....

Not to thread jack, but where in Chicago are you? I'm in Evanston, but sadly with no Zs.

Mario[/quote']

im in Palatine.

In my city' date=' noise complaints are anytime day or night.

Check with your local city offices to find out what applies in your area.[/quote']

That's true for most single family homes but not for condo/townhouse/PUD communities--their rules are typically stricter and you'll have to go bythose rules. If there is nothing there to stop you, the association can still take some action against you if they have a majority vote. Not all associations take into account "everything" that could possibly happen to piss people off.

It sounds like you have some uptight neighbors. You should be allowed to be "noisy" during regular hours--how can that be wrong? How the heck can ANYONE get work accomplished in their own garage?? Are these people old, unemployed, or just plain pain-in-the-butts?

Davy

^ one of my neighbors is asian, and says that he goes to sleep at 6pm :icon52: and another sleeps during the day and work's at night, basicly, they're like, stop, we gave you a year to finish this car, and give it to a body shop, because you're disturbing us. She's like, i cant even talk on the phone. Can you believe this garbage ? My other neighbors are fine with it, one races bikes for a living and the other one is a car guy....

Can you just close the garage door? I realize you'd lose ventilation and daylight, but it'd muffle a lot of the noise. Just what is it you're doing that makes so much noise? If it's non-stop grinding and drilling with power tools, I can certainly understand how that'd get annoying if done all the time.

^ one of my neighbors is asian, and says that he goes to sleep at 6pm :icon52: and another sleeps during the day and work's at night, basicly, they're like, stop, we gave you a year to finish this car, and give it to a body shop, because you're disturbing us. She's like, i cant even talk on the phone. Can you believe this garbage ? My other neighbors are fine with it, one races bikes for a living and the other one is a car guy....

I don't see what being asian has to do with anything. My asian wife stays up til midnight or so. :-D

Yeah, seriously, what are you doing thats making so much noise? If you were grinding in there all day... I'd complain, too. There's limits to what you can do in a community like that. I use 99% hand tools in my garage to avoid pissing neighbors off.

When I have to use a power tool that's noisy, I get everything ready to go and hit it hard and fast til its done. If it takes 5 minutes, ok... but I won't stop start, stop start all day long, because you know it will wear on people and next thing will be a complaint.

My apartment complex as well as the condo complex I used to live in both have rules that say you are not allowed to work on your car at all. I know I am breaking rules when I do it, therefore I am very careful about it.

Working with the garage door shut is tough. For 9 months out of the year here, there's no way I could stand the heat. For the other 3 months, I don't feel like working on it at all. :icon44:

I have to agree with some of the other guys here. From your post it seems like you work on the car a lot, but what kind of noise are you generating? If you're wrenching on stuff I can hardly see why anyone would complain, but if you're grinding, sanding or using air tools then i can kinda see why people might get upset. Once in a while may not be a problem, but if you're making those noises from 4~8 or 9pm almost every day I think my patience would wear a little thin as well.

As a general rule, I try to extend as much courtesy to my neighbors as possible and so far I have received in kind. I've been basically rebuilding my entire house (we tore it down to the studs inside) for the past year and as a consequence I have a large amount of noisy power tools. As a general rule, I don't make any noisy sounds after 7pm, usually earlier. One of my neighbors has two small kids so I try to respect that. So far we've had no problems.

Living in a townhouse/complex is a little different as well. I'd double check the rules regarding noise and working on cars, all the apartments I ever lived in had some pretty restrictive rules in that regard. Not that I didn't break them from time to time. :D

^ i do alot of grinding, welding, etc. its not continues though. i try to grind between 5-7...what i ment by all the time is, sometimes i dont do anything for a week or two (job) then 3 maybe 4 days out of a week i grind this and that then take a break...i close the garage door half way so i still have light.

Tough call! I love a "quiet" neighborhood, but at the same time, I can create more noise than the neighbor's leaf blower. I play it safe though. I installed triple pane windows in the garage, insulated the walls, and installed lots of lighting. This way I can close it up, do my work, and not bother the neighbors.

I believe in doing my best to keep from being the neighbor nobody wants next door, you know, the time tested "golden rule" (but in our business that's tough to do).

It sounds like your neighbor is being up front about the situation and is talking with you first instead of just going straight to the association. Talk with him and work out a compromise. Maybe grinding only on the weekends.

BTW... what kind of work are you doing on the Z that requires hours of grinding?

today is the 4 time a neighbor came to complain about my noise....are there any legal precautions i should take, can they do anything legally against me ? Its a townhome complex, and i work in the garage usually from 4-8 sometimes 9 all the time. My assosiation rules dont say anything, and i dont think im braking any laws....Can the assosiation prohibit me working on the Z in the garage ?

Here in Cali, it's 7am-7pm only, then they have the right to call the cops. the cops come over and give you a stern lecture. Then they usually get more disturbed by the caller than the callee.

• 2 weeks later...
Here in Cali, it's 7am-7pm only, then they have the right to call the cops. the cops come over and give you a stern lecture. Then they usually get more disturbed by the caller than the callee.

i though it was 12. either way i dont got that problem. we own the complex we live in so they wont complain haha. Ive worked til 1 in the morning in my garage and had no problem.