HybridZ

3.2 liter stroker ld28 block and crank video!!

twistex

well finally put up a video of my car reving up a little bit. the motor has triple sk racing 45mm carbs, big cam, big valves, header, knifedge crank, lightend flywheel, long rods :P ka pistons 90mm , this engine can see 8k np! hope you enjoy.

link here !

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2382048404444900926&q=240z

The original video was like 150 meg avi i wish i could put the whole video but i couldnt get streetfire to work right !

well see i have a fidanza alum flywheel 9 lbs i think but right now i have like a 11 lb or 13 lb lightend flywheel. car isnt fully tuned yet .. i have a centerforce clutch on there right now with a 280zx trany from a 83. well see i may end up just putting a rb25det into this z who knows. plus i have 2 other cams that are bigger that the one in it right now. just a mild on is it right now for when i use to have fuel injection on it. that manifold is a mikuni style yes, that i port matched to the 1.5 intake ports on head.. i uploaded a bigger longer video on video.gooles site .. they have to aprove it before i can get the link to post. i will keep you all informed!

Watch out for that CF clutch. I ahd a similar setup in my race car for a while. It is a street clutch. I went into turn 1 one time and forgot to blip the throttle. With my locked rear end and the 10" slicks the spring steel that the pressure plate was mounted on collapsed and shredded the inside of the bell housing. I sent it back to CF for rework. They replaced the 2 pieces of spring steel with 3 pieces on each of the 3 mounting posts. Needles to say the next Time I forgot to blip on a downshift it happened again. This is of course at about 7K rpm. After that I bout a 10,000 rpm brand 5.5" double disc mounted on an aluminum flexplate. Much better. Stood up to every error I threw at it. It was a bear to get adjusted right however it lasted.

waitaminute.... are you implying that you are using the LD28 BLOCK as well as the crank? just VERY curious,. as someone on this board swears they arent god for much more than a 2mm obvverbore.....

NIce vid at any rate! should be a real screamer!

the ld28 block has thicker walls .. plus i sleeved mine incase i ever screw up a sleeve i can just put a new one in! diesel blocks are built bullet proof i hear. see most people run turbo block .. but can only run the 5.75 240z rods .. the ld28 block is .25 taller then the turbo block. so i can run a 6 inch rod :P

LD28 block, is 83mm bore, and I sonic tested TWO blocks, and without sleeves, you can ONLY do a 2 mil over, that will only get you two a ~2.95 liter. So your saying you did a 7 mill over bore, on cylinders that are only .160" thick STOCK? Yea, this only worked cause you sleeved it, CANT be done without sleeving it mack, TOLD YA!

I figured there was some sort of heavy *** modification involved, or maybe a 2MM overbore and some of our "special rods or something, with an offset grind, HA ha!

How much did it run you to get it sleeved? I've always been curious about this. I've got a shortblock LD28 sitting around as well as an L20B front cover. just itching to be used.

yeh I see .. I built this motor 8 years ago got alot of the machining I got done through friends at machine shops.. i built the whole motor for 2500! friend ground the cams, and my head is based off the rebello head with 181 intake valve and 150 exhaust. this motor has been basically brought back from sitting for over 8 years. I have 3140 miles on the motor before I stoped driving it with fuel injection. so anyways I basically used the ld block for the taller deck to fit the longer rods in.

I am sure this is a remedial question, but whats the difference between the LD28 and L28 and what was the LD28 used in?

I will answer this only because this has not been discussed as much as the topic of the diesel crank, but you should really do a search.

The diesel block is found in datsun diesel Maxima 1982 and 1983 (maybe 1981?). It has a quarter inch higher deck height than the normal gasoline L-series blocks. this allows for a longer rod in conjunction with the wider stroke.

The other guy on this board is DAW, who converted a diesel short block for use with gasoline.

-Oliver

actually, its more like 3/4" higher deck height. I *think* the LD28 has a deck height of 227.5mm, where as our L28's have a 207.9 deck height. The LD28 has teh EXACT same deck height as an L20B 4 cylinder. 3/4" might make adifference, but I doubt it.

basically it is the same as a l20b that how the timing cover will work. anyways i dont have clearance issues with the hood but i would say i wish i could push the motor back about 6 inches more towards the firewall! but didnt wana bother with motor mounts and resizing drivline!